Cheat Day, yay or nay?

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in cheat days, in the same sense that (as an adult) I don't believe in Santa Claus.

Sometimes I eat within my deficit goal, sometimes I eat at maintenance, sometimes I eat over maintenance (occasionally way over). I call it "a decision".

While I was losing, I always logged it, even if I had to estimate. That way, I knew the impact, and could look back and decide whether the impact had been worth it. Sometimes it was, sometimes it wasn't. In the latter case, I'd think how I wanted to better handle similar scenarios in future. Either way, it was usually only a few hours delay in reaching ultimate goal weight, a day or two at most.

Now, starting into year 3 of maintenance, I don't always log, but I have a pretty clear understanding at this point of what my decisions mean for my weight management.

All of that's happening within a context where I strive to eat nutritiously overall, but include some extra-tasty but less nutrient dense foods routinely, within my calorie goal, just for happiness.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    It isn't cheating because the CICO rule applies. You gain on any day you overeat. You lose on any day you undereat.
    For myself, I'm losing a lot of weight by changing my eating behaviors. If I go back to eating cake with my breakfast cereal one day it would be like smoking just one cigarette after quitting and not end well. I do have a tablespoon of cake and tablespoon of ice cream at birthday parties, the portion size and frequency is my new behavior. What I've discovered is that I enjoy that tablespoon more than sitting down with a carton of ice cream.
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Strongfitmama100412 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »
    I don't have cheat days or meals but I allow myself to have treats. I just make sure I still hit my weekly calorie goal.
    This exactly. I dont believe in cheat days. That can throw your whole week off. I work to damn hard all week.
    Right now im in a competition so im super strict right now. But before i would have some of the kids ice cream or a cookie. But honestly i dont crave things anymore. Eating healthy is such a habit now. I usually feel sick after i eat something not good and thats not worth it to me.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I'm mixed. The other day I had a slice of pizza for lunch. So that was definitely a cheat day. I have lunch with two friends once a week and depending where we go, I might eat a little more than I would otherwise. But it worries me that it will knock me off my healthy routine now.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    How is that a cheat? Count the pizza slice as 350 calories and work it into your daily goal.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I don't refer to them as cheat days. I do allow myself to eat a little more on weekends.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Who would I be cheating? This is my journey and my plan. If I eat over my calorie goal and don’t enter it in my log that just means inaccurate data. My body still knows what happened. If I want wine with a friend or pizza with the kids I expect to be over my calorie goal. I enter it. The world does not end. I just keep swimming along....
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I don't believe in cheat days, in the same sense that (as an adult) I don't believe in Santa Claus.

And I used to respect you... :) #SantaIsReal