Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Carnivore Diet, Depression, and Autoimmune Disease -- Jordan Peterson

Options
hgycta
hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
So my brother showed me an interview with Jordan Peterson on Youtube titled "Jordan Peterson's Carnivore Diet Cured His Depression?" (URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLF29w6YqXs), and it was really interesting. I was wondering if anyone here has seen this video and/or tried this diet? What are your thoughts on this?

I'm thinking of giving it a try. I've never been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease, but I have Raynaud's, depression, and some other issues I'm hoping it might clear up. I know it probably can't be good in the long-term since it's low fiber and excluding many important vitamins/minerals, but I might see what happens on a 30 day plan unless I read about any horrifying experiences with it...

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I haven't really looked into it, but I think that if you consume organ meats as part of this diet, there is a more complete (not saying totally complete) nutritional profile.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I dabble in carnivore but have not taken those final steps to truly be one.

I started keto a few years ago to help deal with IR and hopefully reduce my AI symptoms and arthritis. It worked pretty well, and I lost my weight doing it. After being in maintenance for a while I slowly started increasing carbs to the point where I was probably in and out of ketosis every few days. Unfortunately I regained some weight and my arthritis started coming back. I wasn't feeling my best.

I started back into strict keto but was not having the great improvements again so I switched to mostly carnivore in May. Basically meat, full fat dairy, and eggs, but I did have the occasional nuts every week or two, and some stevia and coconut cream. I felt quite a bit better. TBH, I have one inch long tufts of new hair growing all over my head from when I started carnivore (I tend to have hair loss when my AI issues are acting up) so I know I became healthier and it was not just a placebo.

From late July to now, I have been a lazy/dirty carnivore who cheats and every time I do, my joints act up. Over the last two days we've had two full day family functions, and over those two days I chose to eat a half cup of homemade potato salad, a GF blueberry tart that a cousin made special for me, and a slice of chocolate cake. The pain started late yesterday. My hip is aching and kept me up some of the night despite rotating pain killers, I've been icing my swollen knee on and off for the last half day, my fingers are stiff and sore and I even had pimples breakout on my chin. I KNOW I am healthier when I eat just meat but it's hard to get there and stay there.

Carnivore is just not well researched or socially acceptable yet. The only long term research was done on Steffanson back in the 20s. He lived with the Inuit for about 10 years and no one would believe he could stay healthy eating only meat so he and a partner stayed in a hospital fir a year and ate only large game to prove they would have no deficiencies. They were fine.

Eating organ meat is very nutrient rich but it does not appear to be needed, although I imagine it would be healthful. As long as one eats fatty meat (avoids rabbit starvation) people are generally quite healthy on a carnivore diet. Fresh meat has been known as a cure for scurvy for centuries.

I don't think everyone should be a carnivore, nor do I think everyone will benefit, but it hopefully will become more acceptable soon so people know it is a possible option to improving health. IMO many people have problems with it because of ethics. They dont want to think about eating cute animals or worry that they leave too large of an environmental footprint. They'd rather eat plants, and not kill animals (or just animals like chickens or fish), or they worry that saturated fat is still bad for heart health. I'm happy with that as long as they don't give me a hard time about the foods that improve my health or try to stop me.

They can eat the plants; there's more meat for me then. ;)

Given that the vast majority of people, at least in North America, regularly consume animals, I think the issue is more with the perception of monotony (not that people who are eating in this way perceive it to be monotonous, but from the outside it certainly will look that way to many who are currently eating a varied diet). Mikheila Peterson's plan, as I understand it, is just beef, salt, and water.

It really is monotonous, IMO anyways. That's my problem with it. I'm not a huge meat lover so eating carnivore makes food functional. It is no longer for entertainment. When carnivores start out they tend to eat more of a variety of meats to deal with the monotony but most seem to settle into large mammal (cow) for convenience and best health.

But those who say it is unhealthy and bad for the environment are not having problems with its monotony. It's those people who tend to speak out the loudest and most frequently, IMO.
This discussion has been closed.