Options
2»

Replies

• Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Hi there

I'm about to embark on another weight loss journey. I imagine some of you will have the same experience - get to goal, put it all back on (and then some), repeat.

I'm looking for a way to lose weight sensibly but also work on my self esteem and head space, since I think a lot of this comes down to being an emotional eater.

Anybody else here doing the same? I'd love to speak to anyone who struggles with their head, and consequently, their weight!

Happy losses everyone

Tangledtwine x

I'm at the same point as you. In the past, when I've done well with losing weight, I had something to focus on. For me, it was fighting and getting to as low a weight as possible (and still being in the infinite division). So I'd go for 4 or 5 months, drop 30-40 lbs, and then put it all back on.

A big part of that was simply that I hate exercising and love pretty much all the food I shouldn't, as well as eating it in portions that are excessive. Because of that, I'd allow an injury, or a bad day, or whatever to lull me back into complacency, no matter how good I was doing on my journey. At one point, I had dropped over 60 lbs and was at the weight I graduated high school at. I was fitting clothes I hadn't previously been able to fit. I felt great. And then I got hurt. And it all went to crap then.

I found all the weight I had lost, and then some extra. And I felt like crap. MFP has helped because I feel that logging everything, good and bad, makes a difference. On the days I don't control myself, I can see just how bad I really am... even if it's all really just guesstimations.

Recently, I was involved with a narcissist for 3 years. I found out a few months back that they had gotten back into the LS (swingers "Lifestyle") and lied to me every step of the way about a LOT of things (and likely never meant any word ever said to me). It's honestly been one of the hardest things I've ever dealt with. I've never been more depressed in life, because I've never allowed someone to rule my heart and my head the way I allowed her to do. But you know who's never lied to me? Or cheated on me? Food. And alcohol. That's who. Sure, they might make me feel bad at times. But they're always there when I need them most. They're always there to comfort me.

So, I've had my good days, and bad days. But I've focused on not allowing those to control what happens. I don't let the bad day turn into a bad week. So that way that bad week doesn't turn into a bad month. And that bad month into a year... so on and so on. Instead, I'm focused on rising from the pile of ash that she left me in... rising from it in glorious fire like the great Phoenix.

I've been doing cardio almost daily since the new year, but when all this happened, I added back in a strength routine. I have dropped about 12 lbs since I started back up with the strength routine. I am being at least a little more mindful of what I'm doing during the week. Though, my weekends are all about misbehaving and I need to work on that. I started supplementing with some things to help with strength and muscle building (creatine monohydrate, HMB, BCAAs, Zinc/Magnesium, CLA + Carnitine), and it's helped. I'm getting stronger again. I'm seeing small changes in my physique, and it's all motivation to me.

I've always been bad at accepting compliments. I have pretty bad self-esteem and confidence in myself, and honestly am working on learning how to love myself. But I'd always laugh off the compliments, or explain that it's just because I was wearing black and it's a slimming color, or just assume the person complimenting me was being nice. But I've stopped that thinking. When someone compliments me, I genuinely thank them. Because it makes me feel better and it validates that what I am doing is working, even if I can't always see it (we're our own worst critic/enemy, right?). So when you start back on your journey, make sure you accept the compliments from your family, friends, and co-workers. I think it's a BIG part of finding our happiness (and I think many of us here are looking for that -- I know I am).

If you don't already do so, I'd also start a personal journal. Write down your feelings every morning and/or night. I've been doing this since everything ended and it helps. I was gifted a "Two Minute Mornings" journal by my HR director at work, back in December. I started using it when everything completely ended between the narc and I. And let me tell you... the difference that it makes with how the day goes (along with exercising). The difference in my mindset between then and now is wonderful.

Just remember this though, if nothing else... always keep moving forward. You might take a break along the way during your journey, so long as you don't put down roots in one spot. Just. Keep. Moving. (Or as Dori would say, "Just keep swimming!") Don't let the past determine your future. Live for the present. And let that determine your future. Carpe diem et Memento mori... Seize the day, because you could leave life today.
  • Sumo813
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    Part of your problem is your mindset. You're not going on "another" journey, you're still on the same one. I've been victim to that and what it does is you have a bad period and you give up entirely for a while because you "failed". Ups and downs are all part of it and you need to accept that. When you "fall off the wagon", climb back up on that beyotch cause you only have one wagon.

I mean this constructively :)

As a few others have said... so MUCH THIS! It's one journey. From the time you start, until the time we move on from this realm. And that wagon is gonna break down from time to time. You just have to mend those broken parts and give a big ol' "HEEYAH!" back to those horses.
  • Sumo813
    Options
    My advice? Don't change everything all at once. Small, gradual decisions are the way to go for long-term LIFESTYLE changes. That's what you are doing, not losing weight, but improving your lifestyle to lose weight.
    Oh and good morning! :smile:

I love this bit of advice. The more things you try to change at once, the higher your probability for falling back into old ways. Make small, gradual changes. When you see that those are now habit, add something new and small into the mix. Before you know it, things have changed, you've changed, and you won't even realize it.
  • mesabe
    mesabe Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I decided to compete in my second natural body building competition next year. I need to get serious about tracking my food again and hold myself accountable for my diet and working out. Are there any old time female bodybuilders out there?? I mean old, I am 56 years...LOL I will try to post a more current pic soon.
  • melissaray5000
    melissaray5000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I just started over myself after putting all the weight I had lost back on. I too am an emotion eater, I wish you the best of luck!
  • mazurkiepolish
    mazurkiepolish Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    It’s not a race to the finish line. Take your time. Don’t be in a rush. Always be positive and keep your goals in mind.