Tracking sugar but loving fruit

Options
Greetings! I have been retooling my diet to cut added sugar as much as possible, with a goal of staying under about 20 grams per day. Now that I've found good low sugar substitutes for my bread, salad dressing, etc., and adapted to black coffee, it's actually been easier than I anticipated. Without having to make room for all the sweet treats I used to enjoy daily, like the 300+ calorie Haagen Daz I would eat after dinner, I feel like I can eat so much more food while staying in my calorie budget.

I've never been much of a fruit eater, but now that my palate is changing I'm starting to crave so many new things, and I'm reaching for the fruit bowl more and more. The tree-ripened peach I had the the other day, for example, was one of the most heavenly things I've ever eaten, but it weighed in at over 9 ounces and had over 20 grams of sugar by itself. I know that eating fruit is good for me, and I don't want to obsess so much over the number in my sugar column that I deprive myself of the nutritional joy that is fruit, but that number is still important to me.

The solution I've come up with is to edit entries for the fruits I eat by deleting the number in the sugar column. It will still log the carbs, but my sugar total will more accurately reflect added sugar, which is what I'm really interested in. I realize there is also natural sugar in things like nuts and dairy, but I'm less worried about those because the amounts aren't nearly as high as for fruit.

I'd be interested in people's thoughts on this strategy. Thanks!

Replies

• biscuitforcefield
    biscuitforcefield Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I watch my sugar/carbs, and don't obsess too much about the final number each day under the Sugar column. Unless it's to control a medical issue or something serious like that, the best thing is to unlearn that sugar = bad.

Most stuff has sugar in and to be honest fruit is generally more filling (due to fibre, etc.), so you're probably not going to match the sugar output in a pint of ice cream with fruit alone.

It's just a number on your MFP diary (same as when MFP tries to predict your weight in 5 weeks' time and is almost always wrong). Enjoy your fruit, it's good for you :) And if it helps, by all means delete the sugar total, sometimes it's good to have mental strategies to cope with eating less.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Cutting added sugar is great and will save you calories in the long run. but unless you have a medical reason to avoid sugar (like T2 diabetes), there is no real reason to obsess over sugar.

I get that. I'm cutting sugar to cut calories, not because of any underlying medical condition. I don't think sugar is some kind of boogey man. But I still want to track it without having to subtract the fruit from my total manually.
  • missblondi2u
    Options
    For me personally, I watch my sugar/carbs, and don't obsess too much about the final number each day under the Sugar column. Unless it's to control a medical issue or something serious like that, the best thing is to unlearn that sugar = bad.

Most stuff has sugar in and to be honest fruit is generally more filling (due to fibre, etc.), so you're probably not going to match the sugar output in a pint of ice cream with fruit alone.

It's just a number on your MFP diary (same as when MFP tries to predict your weight in 5 weeks' time and is almost always wrong). Enjoy your fruit, it's good for you :) And if it helps, by all means delete the sugar total, sometimes it's good to have mental strategies to cope with eating less.

Thanks. I am enjoying the fruit! For the first time in my life, I feel like I'm really tasting it. But 1/2 cup of ice cream does have about the same amount of sugar as my peach did.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Greetings! I have been retooling my diet to cut added sugar as much as possible, with a goal of staying under about 20 grams per day. Now that I've found good low sugar substitutes for my bread, salad dressing, etc., and adapted to black coffee, it's actually been easier than I anticipated. Without having to make room for all the sweet treats I used to enjoy daily, like the 300+ calorie Haagen Daz I would eat after dinner, I feel like I can eat so much more food while staying in my calorie budget.

I've never been much of a fruit eater, but now that my palate is changing I'm starting to crave so many new things, and I'm reaching for the fruit bowl more and more. The tree-ripened peach I had the the other day, for example, was one of the most heavenly things I've ever eaten, but it weighed in at over 9 ounces and had over 20 grams of sugar by itself. I know that eating fruit is good for me, and I don't want to obsess so much over the number in my sugar column that I deprive myself of the nutritional joy that is fruit, but that number is still important to me.

The solution I've come up with is to edit entries for the fruits I eat by deleting the number in the sugar column. It will still log the carbs, but my sugar total will more accurately reflect added sugar, which is what I'm really interested in. I realize there is also natural sugar in things like nuts and dairy, but I'm less worried about those because the amounts aren't nearly as high as for fruit.

I'd be interested in people's thoughts on this strategy. Thanks!

If it works for you, it's fine, just please don't make those entries you are deleting the sugar from "public".

I personally don't pay attention to the sugar number in my diary. I do try to choose items at the grocery with less or no added sugar when realistic, and I figure if I'm hitting my calorie, protein, and fiber goals then sugar is probably falling in line anyway.

You've come up with a pretty creative way of dealing with the situation, it would probably confuse the heck out of me :lol: but if it makes sense to you that's what matters!

This is what I was thinking too. There are enough incorrect database entries without people intentionally messing them up.

I also think it's creative, and if it works for you, then great.

I personally don't worry about sugar. It's counted in my carbs (not that I worry about those either). I find that when I focus on getting enough fat and proteins, my sugar levels are naturally lower.
  • missblondi2u
    Options
    No, I didn't make my entry public, just saved under "My Foods."
  • missblondi2u
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    The reason major health entities (World Health Organization, U.S. Dept of Agriculture, etc.) suggest limiting added sugars is that those tend to have lots of calories, and consuming them either drives out needed nutrition, or - if nutrient goals are achieved - causes people to exceed sensible calorie levels.

This is exactly why I'm cutting sugar.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Rather than cutting sugar, perhaps you should be cutting carbs which turn to sugar in the body. Good fresh fruits for that are peaches, cherries, grapes, oranges, apples, pears. Until my husband was diagnosed with Type 2, and we went to a class that spent 4 hours on food, measuring, weighing and correctly reporting, I was never so aware of the need for healthy sugars, which create energy.

Why does OP have to cut either one?

I don't HAVE to do anything :) I CHOSE to cut sugar to help cut my calories.

We're aware of that. She was responding to the poster who suggested that you cut carbs rather than focusing on sugar.

It sounds like you have an idea that will work for you. All the best.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Sounds fine to me. Whatever works for you! I love me some fruit
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Rather than cutting sugar, perhaps you should be cutting carbs which turn to sugar in the body. Good fresh fruits for that are peaches, cherries, grapes, oranges, apples, pears. Until my husband was diagnosed with Type 2, and we went to a class that spent 4 hours on food, measuring, weighing and correctly reporting, I was never so aware of the need for healthy sugars, which create energy.

Why does OP have to cut either one?

I don't HAVE to do anything :) I CHOSE to cut sugar to help cut my calories.

I was responding to someone saying that you should be cutting carbohydrates. However you want to cut calories by eliminating foods you don't think are worth it, I support that. I just don't think people should feel that they *have* to cut sugar or carbohydrates in order to be successful.
  • missblondi2u
    Options
    I was responding to someone saying that you should be cutting carbohydrates. However you want to cut calories by eliminating foods you don't think are worth it, I support that. I just don't think people should feel that they *have* to cut sugar or carbohydrates in order to be successful.

Thanks for the clarification. I lost almost 70 pounds here without ever looking at my sugar intake, so I get it. I'm just giving this a try, and so far there's been nothing but good coming from it. Well, except for the near-riot caused by my refusing the obligatory office birthday cake :) But that's a different story.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I track fiber instead of sugar. Most people don't get enough fiber and it is important for health. Most of my sugar comes from fruit, so I don't worry too much. Which is good because summer fruit!