Anybody Take Martial Arts?

Options
Anybody take Martial Arts? If so, what kind? And what belt are you?

I just started Tae Kwon-Do and love it so far!

Replies

• suezensays
    suezensays Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    A friend is teaching me some jiu jitsu basics, but it's not for a belt or trophy...it's more so I'm not defenseless while I'm out jogging by myself.

I love it...it's empowering and a great stress reliever.
  • pennelope515
    Options
    I have found that I forget about everything in my life during it which def helps with stress relief!
  • missveeoh
    missveeoh Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I took karate for about 8 years, I believe.
    I stopped going to class when I entered high school. I found it boring and not to mention
    the bruises I would get from sparring :( The only reason I found it boring was because most of
    the techniques were very repetitive (also there were only 5 teens/adults, including me- while the majority were children) and the teacher (sensei?) wanted me to start teaching classes.
    (Um...I'm paying for this class and you want me to teach kids how to stretch and kick a sandbag?)

I was in my early teen years so I guess I found everything irritating. Anyway, I was a black belt but I never actually
    received it so technically I'm still a brown belt? Or was the red one before a black belt? Lol Oh well.

I wouldn't mind trying it out again but the only class they offer at my gym is body combat. It's a pretty upbeat kick-boxing class with other martial arts involved (music too.)

I still have my sparring gloves and belts lol I remember we used to do this step-by-step technique in order to advance in belts- you move and display strikes from every angle (Im guessing its just in case you ever get attacked by 4 people at the same time) Anyway, I still remember it. Hope you enjoy your class!
    Sorry for the long reply!!!
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I started taking Shalon Kempo when I was 5 years old.
    My Mom sent me there to get me out of the house while my folks were getting a divorce.
    I stopped when I joined the Army.
    I dabbled a little bit in Thai boxing just to mix it up a bit. By the way, if you think you are tough, get in the ring with a good thai boxer. He or she will correct you.

Kempo is a pretty good style for "close" fighting. Close strikes and grappling.
  • Lu7681
    Lu7681 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I do I do! :)
    I am a yellow belt (with 2 orange stripes!! ) in Kempo Karate - and I am addicted. I also do Fitness kickboxing, which is WONDERFUL!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Since 1974. Shorin-Ryu was my first Black Belt. Since then I have studied several other disciplines. Even taught in my own schools from 1982 until 1991.

I no longer teach, but I have a dojo in my home and built a weight room as well. About 440 square feet total.
  • A_nonymous2
    A_nonymous2 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I competed in Judo in college. Only got to Orange belt though. It was tough b/c I weighed only 99lbs, and the lightest person I ever sparred with was closer to 130. that was the lightest class.

I loved it. Practiced 2 hours/day 3x/week and had prob 10% BF and was ripped.

I tried it a bit outside of college, but it was just creepy, mostly older men (I was 25 at the time) and they got a little too excited to be rolling on the floor with me under them...eventhough I was a choke-out master!

I would like to find another dojo where it's a better crowed and do it again.

I've thought of taking up Krav Maga.
  • chapamore
    chapamore Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Jiu Jitsu under Carlson Gracie Jr.
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    I think I'm gonna have to go back and change some of my answers on the "beat up the person above you" thread...
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I took Tai Kwon Do and got as far as a green belt (halfway to black). After attending classes 3 days a week for a year I decided to take a short break but then I just never went back. There were several reason for that but the bottom line is that it was just feeling repetitive and boring. It is excellent for fitness and flexibility, though.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu, here, which I started in April of this year. Only mukyu ichi (a level of white belt, we have like 3), in part because we don't test often, so ranking up is slow.

Before that, I was in Bansenshukai Ninjutsu, for about eight months, until the shidoshi shut down the school. Had just gotten to hachikyu (8th rank, blue belt) in it and American jujitsu (dual belting system).

I don't worry too much about rank, I love doing it because it's great stress relief and is empowering. It's kind of my "meditative" time, since I easily forget about everything else going on in my life and can focus solely on the classes. They teach things of all levels, so even as a beginner, you get to learn some of the higher-level techniques (they don't do things like black belt techniques if the class is full of really inexperienced beginners, though).
  • A_nonymous2
    A_nonymous2 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I think I'm gonna have to go back and change some of my answers on the "beat up the person above you" thread...

Haha! I "SAID" I had mad judo skills...
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Anybody take Martial Arts? If so, what kind? And what belt are you?

I just started Tae Kwon-Do and love it so far!

Studied hand to hand combat (introduced to the ancient forms) concentrating on select disciplines, from when I'd first started as a child via Kung Fu to start (through an expert who'd been in-country in my home-country via their High Commission), which has expanded from that since over the years, where the foreign-influenced earned belt (colours) was irrelevant in my training. For me it's about survival training; A mandatory life-skill!
  • darksomebelle
    darksomebelle Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do Kung Fu. I'm fairly new to it--never did any martial arts as a kid or anything--but I'm absolutely addicted. I got my yellow sash a few weeks ago. :D
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I take karate, my next test is at the end of this month and if I am fortunate enough to pass it will be my third stripe on my brown belt. After that my next test which be for my black belt.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I do Muay Thai - which isn't ranked by belts as far as I know, just years/experience. Been doing it for a couple of months though.
  • Pams_Shadow
    Pams_Shadow Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I started taking Taekwondo in March 2013. I'm a green belt now, should move up to blue belt soon. I absolutely love it. I'm also studying Wing Chun Kung Fu and soon to start some grappling. I take 6 Taekwondo classes a week and 1 Kung Fu. Just can't get enough.
  • NeonHeartz444
    Options
    I do, and I love it. :) So far, I am a red belt. :)
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I do kickboxing/boxing at the moment with jiu jitsu. Training to be an all rounder really(MMA) but at the moment its all for defense purposes and maybe soon I will start competing in boxing
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I am in Ho-Am (Tiger Rock) Taekwondo. I am currently a brown level 3.

I started off 10 years ago at the community center with my girls, did it for 5 years, dropped out for 3 due to health issues, just started back at a private studio in February or March of 2012.

I got my girls to black belt before I got back in. I have lots of help. :drinker: