Replies

• pittsjg
    pittsjg Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Brazilian ju jitsu, blue belt.... Good times
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: Only for 13 years! It's my absolute passion. I'm trying to get back into shape and get my health in check so I can practice to my heart's content again.

-1st degree black belt in Kenpo (it was a very grueling,day long test full of blood, sweat, and blacked eyes.)
    - Love kickboxing (the full contact kind),and I'm working on building my record
    -Tried TKD,but the school was kind of a McDojo... I left after 1 belt and a lot of "no contact" nonsense.
    -Currently learning JKD, Mizu Arashi jujutsu , and progressive self defense
    -Considering taking up Judo because...why not?

Also, I often hear I hit harder than "most men",and have had my share of chances to prove it. I love full contact fighting, and I have no problem taking a hit.

:drinker: If you love martial arts, feel free to add me. I don't have many friends that can appreciate them!
  • staystrong_314159
    staystrong_314159 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do Krav Maga. It's not a martial art, but it's similar
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Tae Kwon Do black belt
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Did Kenpo (American Ed Parker Jr.) as a kid from 12-15 stopped before I tested for my green belt. Twenty years later I started brazilian jiu jitsu, judo and kickboxing. Been hooked ever since going on 3 1/2 years and 80lbs lost. So glad I came back to martial arts after all those years. Now my whole family trains. My wife and 4 kids.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    *bump for more MAs*
  • Hangnbang
    Hangnbang Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I watched the last dragon once does that count.
  • Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Black belt in Shotokan Karate, American Karate.
    Also studied, Judo, brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Traditional Japanese jiu jitsu, muay thai and MMA.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Hah, that sounds like a lot of the guys in the arts that I've studied. Our soke (grandmaster, leader of the school) is 81, and can kick your *kitten* from here to next Tuesday and make it look like a walk in the park. A couple of my old trainers were retired Marines, too.

Never underestimate "the old guy."

My old instructor was a hapkido grandmaster as well as tkd.... he was just a little old guy that drove a mini van and looked so harmless. Every so often in class he would "spar" with the students and no one could touch him. Even the black belts would throw their best and he would very casually, with seemingly little movement and often with one hand, just redirect them (many times onto the floor). It was really impressive. I always felt a little sorry for whomever might underestimate him in an actual assault situation.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I got an orange belt (40% of the way to black) in KiDo’Kyo Moo Kwan, a Korean martial art very similar to Tae kwon do, but had to stop going due to having too much on my plate when I was getting divorced. Then I got another job on the opposite side of town, and just can't find the time to get back over there being a single parent.

I would love to start training again now that I am in better shape. I have thought about taking muay thai, but I am also considering going back to school to get my engineering masters degree. And I only have so much free time. Just gotta decide what I want to do.
  • chellycakes
    chellycakes Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I started tang soo do late august! I'm going to test for an orange belt soon (I hope HAHA!). I love it! It burns a ton of calories and teaching me self defense! I WISH I started years ago lol.
  • Hangnbang
    Hangnbang Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I box some karate idiot started **** last weekend when out ,went for some stupit grab ,hit him with a right hook and a few body shots and that was that ,so I'm stickin to boxing .
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Trained for years in Tang Soo Do ( Korean martial arts similar to Tae Kwon Do.) I have my black belt , but in my style it is actually navy blue. I quit training a few years back. Just gettting too old for the injuries.... :(
  • OliBenson
    OliBenson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu (4th Kyu). I had previously studied Jeet Kune Do (2nd degree black sash) and I fully believe that stopping training for about 18 months is what has led to my dramatic weight gain. I am looking forward to training again in the new year!
  • Anita_hoar12345
    Options
    bjj and kickboxing I did taekwondo as a kid and have a blue belt from therien jiu jitsu it's a different kind than bjj i guess it's like mma with a gi because you learn striking and grappling I stopped going there and switched to bjj
  • tbonethemighty
    tbonethemighty Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Krav Maga for about 3 years (my trainer has a fit when someone calls it a "martial art", but we get all types of other martial arts guys at our seminars...and I second all the women who have dropped some dude who thought they were weak), but I'd love to try out Brazilian jujitsu. Don't think there's a studio/classes anywhere in my area, sadly. No belts in KM, although we do have lettered levels.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    my trainer has a fit when someone calls it a "martial art"

There's a certain (nonsensical) irony to that, when "martial arts" pretty literally means "warrior arts" (martial = of war; warlike). Given that Krav Maga was developed specifically for Israeli soldiers, and has its roots in the more commonly-recognized martial arts, including Judo, jiu-jitsu, and Muay Thai. It's pretty much the poster child of "martial arts."
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    bjj and kickboxing I did taekwondo as a kid and have a blue belt from therien jiu jitsu it's a different kind than bjj i guess it's like mma with a gi because you learn striking and grappling I stopped going there and switched to bjj

Was it more self defense based? More japanese jiu jitsu?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    For 41 years. All but the last 10 years quite actively. Rarely spar any more, but still practice katas. I have a dojo in my home, but, at the moment, it is filled with Christmas Decorations and such. My wife and daughter use it as a staging area every year at this time. Usually cluttered from about the first week in December to the 1st week in January. They promised they would have it cleared out by this week, though.