Did you lose hair while losing weight? Why?

Options
12346»

Replies

• kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    kiela64 wrote: »
    Update: I cut my hair by about 17 inches. My calories have been increased to about 1700/day. The last 3 weeks averages are 1560, 1690, 1714. So in there-ish. I started taking a multivitamin (only my iron & b12 were checked, I thought it was worth a try).

Still losing quite a lot of hair every day. I don’t really know what it is at this point- but maybe it’s safe to say it’s not the weight loss. Because I’m only about 100cal below maintenance at this point I think,

Thanks everyone for your help! I do think it’s better to be eating more. I synced my activity tracker to MFP to get a better sense of things. It’s hilarious to see workdays hit 10000-13000 steps and then like....3000 on non work days. Of course those days are the ones I catch up on calories because I have more time 😂 I’d just rather not be bald.....but I’ve gotta wait a month to ask more questions 😐 blehhh.

If you were losing hair for nutritional reasons, IMU it can take some time to turn it around. Often, hair loss can be about a weak spot in the hair shaft from a time when the hair growth/vitality has slowed, creating a weak point(s) where the hair breaks off, possibly at/near the scalp. Even after nutrition improves, as your hair grows out, you may not be creating new weak points, but hair could still have fragile points in the shaft from earlier growth. (My hair pretty much all fell out about 2.5 weeks after my first chemotherapy treatment from the major growth-rate shock, and this slowed growth/weak point idea was how they explained the mechanism to me.)

I'm not trying to be discouraging, but rather trying to say that you could possibly already be on a road to improvement but not see that immediately. Hoping for excellent and speedy results for you!

No that’s actually really encouraging!!! I’ll keep doing the things and it might not be useless 😁

Thank you for sharing that!!!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Update: I cut my hair by about 17 inches. My calories have been increased to about 1700/day. The last 3 weeks averages are 1560, 1690, 1714. So in there-ish. I started taking a multivitamin (only my iron & b12 were checked, I thought it was worth a try).

Still losing quite a lot of hair every day. I don’t really know what it is at this point- but maybe it’s safe to say it’s not the weight loss. Because I’m only about 100cal below maintenance at this point I think,

Thanks everyone for your help! I do think it’s better to be eating more. I synced my activity tracker to MFP to get a better sense of things. It’s hilarious to see workdays hit 10000-13000 steps and then like....3000 on non work days. Of course those days are the ones I catch up on calories because I have more time 😂 I’d just rather not be bald.....but I’ve gotta wait a month to ask more questions 😐 blehhh.

If you were losing hair for nutritional reasons, IMU it can take some time to turn it around. Often, hair loss can be about a weak spot in the hair shaft from a time when the hair growth/vitality has slowed, creating a weak point(s) where the hair breaks off, possibly at/near the scalp. Even after nutrition improves, as your hair grows out, you may not be creating new weak points, but hair could still have fragile points in the shaft from earlier growth. (My hair pretty much all fell out about 2.5 weeks after my first chemotherapy treatment from the major growth-rate shock, and this slowed growth/weak point idea was how they explained the mechanism to me.)

I'm not trying to be discouraging, but rather trying to say that you could possibly already be on a road to improvement but not see that immediately. Hoping for excellent and speedy results for you!

No that’s actually really encouraging!!! I’ll keep doing the things and it might not be useless 😁

Thank you for sharing that!!!

Yep, just like it takes a while to see the effects of under-eating, it can take a while to reverse them. Sounds like you've taken the right steps. Now the hard part - consistency and patience :wink:
  • atkhorses
    atkhorses Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am still trying to figure out why I'm losing hair as well. I was eating a keto diet andpretty strict. No sugar. Healthy fats...avocado, green veggies. Fatty meats, then I have switched to mpf and 1457 calls per day. I walk three miles four times a week. Drink half my weight in water. I do have hashimoto AI lots that could be causing hair loss and now it is dry and brittle. Used to be very healthy hair. Tale a prenatal for multi, vit d, calla gen, omega 3, vit c daily