Scared of eating different food again

Options
Hi all. I was previously a slimming world member and lost 4 stone on the plan. My weight then started to plateau so I changed to weight watchers but my weight has still stayed the same, despite following the plan 110%.
I’ve decided to completely quit all slimming plans to save money and eat “normally” again but of course within reason! I am going to eat lower quantity of full fat milk, cheese and introduce oil. I’m having skimmed milk, lighter cheese, no oi...! I can’t keep doing that. I need healthy fat in my diet. I eat plenty of fruit and veg and I eat lean meat and protein like tuna, salmon, mackerel etc.
One thing I am so deathly afraid of is gaining weight again. I’ve become so used to following diet plans I am worried if I’m left to my own devices, my weight will pile back on!
I am not going to go back to how I was before (I was eating takeaways almost every night, desserts, full fat Pepsi bottles, simple carbs).
Can any of you help me here? Do you find tracking on here helps you a lot? I just want to stop worrying :(

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Another good link for you is:-

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

There are stickies at the top of each sub-forum, orange tab on them, have a read through. They are full of wisdom and useful helpful tips.

Cheers, h.
  • missbutterfly92
    missbutterfly92 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Tracking and a food scale were essential for my success.

Thank you. I have food scales as I do weigh out my carbs and fats, so I will continue with that. I’m quite good at eye balling it after a year of experience lol I know my limit of the amount of cheese I can eat, for instance!
  • missbutterfly92
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Hi all. I was previously a slimming world member and lost 4 stone on the plan. My weight then started to plateau so I changed to weight watchers but my weight has still stayed the same, despite following the plan 110%.
    I’ve decided to completely quit all slimming plans to save money and eat “normally” again but of course within reason! I am going to eat lower quantity of full fat milk, cheese and introduce oil. I’m having skimmed milk, lighter cheese, no oi...! I can’t keep doing that. I need healthy fat in my diet. I eat plenty of fruit and veg and I eat lean meat and protein like tuna, salmon, mackerel etc.
    One thing I am so deathly afraid of is gaining weight again. I’ve become so used to following diet plans I am worried if I’m left to my own devices, my weight will pile back on!
    I am not going to go back to how I was before (I was eating takeaways almost every night, desserts, full fat Pepsi bottles, simple carbs).
    Can any of you help me here? Do you find tracking on here helps you a lot? I just want to stop worrying :(

Could try slowly reintroducing things. To me, that is one of the issues of being on a plan. Try flexible eating lifestyle. Balance things into your macros.

That’s a good idea. I am going to slowly introduce virgin olive oil as well as I have noticed my gall bladder plays up if I eat food that’s too oily :( again, I used to pour it like there was no tomorrow when I was at my biggest! I know my limit after using frylight over the past year up until now.
  • missbutterfly92
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    You can lose weight eating nothing but twinkies. To lose weight you only need to eat less than you burn. To gain weight you must eat around 3500 calories more than you burn. No matter what plan you are on or if you choose flexible eating you need to trust the math. In order to trust the math you need to log accurately. Read this:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

Thank you for the link! I will give it a read now
  • missbutterfly92
    Options
    Another good link for you is:-

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

There are stickies at the top of each sub-forum, orange tab on them, have a read through. They are full of wisdom and useful helpful tips.

Cheers, h.

Thank you. I will check it out :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Monitoring my food intake and my weight is essential for managing my weight. It takes away the anxiety for regain. Fear of the scale and fear of food was actually a big factor for my regain, so keeping stress levels low, is crucial.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options

Thank you. I have food scales as I do weigh out my carbs and fats, so I will continue with that. I’m quite good at eye balling it after a year of experience lol I know my limit of the amount of cheese I can eat, for instance!

With all due respect, don't trust eyeballing portions if it is possible to weigh them. Having said that, if you look at my diary you will see I use some of the average fruit entries (like a "small peach" at 51 calories) but cheese? No way unless it is packaged singly (string cheese). I have seen 50% difference in the weight of 2 slices of cheese from the same package.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

ive been doing this 5 years, have lost over 100 pounds and STILL weigh my foods, especially things like cheese and peanut butter and other calorie bomb items. yes, a lot i eyeball or go by package but theres a lot of stuff i will ALWAYS weigh.

if you try to eyeball and maintain or lose, you will likely gain....

learn how to properly weigh, measure and log ALL your food
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

The last person I tried to talk out of eyeballing ended up in a ridiculous debate about apples and virtuous Arby's employees but can I at least suggest that you spot check your eyeballed portions on a scale often to make sure?

However my real advise is that if anyone is in a real plateau they should go back to the basics of weighing all solid foods, measuring liquids (or weighing if they have grams on the label), and checking food labels for everything they put in their mouth. My supplements for instance account for 60 calories per day.

Diagnostically you want to rule out everything you can. Even with very diligent and accurate logging there is a margin of error because the calories we use are averages. If you are on the plus side in that margin of error and compound it with human error (eyeballing) and picking inaccurate MFP database entries you can erase your calorie deficit.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Like many have already said, keep tracking & logging food and beverages. Also keep tracking your weight. If you notice an increase of more than a few pounds either cut calories or increase activity.
    Your concern is very legitimate. Over 80% of people that lose weight gain it back within 5 years. I am disappointed to be in that 80%, but back at it. This time I will not quit monitoring when I am at goal. I have found it a lot harder to maintain than lose.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Tracking is the only way I lose weight. I keep track of everything that passes my lips. I don't worry about low fat or anything like that. I just eat food and put the calories in my diary. If I need extra calories one day I do more exercise so I can have that snack or sweet. If you are honest with what you are eating and your activity level you should be fine.