Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Insatiable on Netflix: fat shaming or good entertainment?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I don't do high school/drama/romance stuff, so I haven't watched it. I did watch the trailer and my thoughts were "meh". I didn't read too much into it, entertainment is entertainment and nothing more. I don't expect any shows I watch to be factual, representative, politically correct, or have some deep message or philosophical stance. Some do have some of these elements, but that's not why I watch them. I watch them to be entertained, and the premise of this one didn't grab me. Simple as that. People usually read too much into stuff.

Well actually it seems like every single netflix show is trying to push some sort of agenda. They always include something "controversial" or a "hot topic", something that would piss off a hard-core conservative. Not trying to be political but I find it odd that every netflix show that I've watched is pushing an agenda. It can't just be entertainment for entertainment.

Some of the cooking shows APPEAR to be agenda free. (Or maybe they're just that subtle and insidious...)

They are steeped in consumerism selling pots and pans and utensils.

(Tongue in cheek here, I don't watch cooking shows)

As for the OP, I watched the first episode after reading the OP. It's not something I found particularly entertaining. Might watch the second episode, just to see if that changes, but I doubt it. I'd much rather watch some good old fashioned violence. I rarely sit and just watch anything so any undertones of agenda typically aren't noticed. It's not often I have something on that grabs my attention enough for me to actually sit and watch it.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I don't do high school/drama/romance stuff, so I haven't watched it. I did watch the trailer and my thoughts were "meh". I didn't read too much into it, entertainment is entertainment and nothing more. I don't expect any shows I watch to be factual, representative, politically correct, or have some deep message or philosophical stance. Some do have some of these elements, but that's not why I watch them. I watch them to be entertained, and the premise of this one didn't grab me. Simple as that. People usually read too much into stuff.

Well actually it seems like every single netflix show is trying to push some sort of agenda. They always include something "controversial" or a "hot topic", something that would piss off a hard-core conservative. Not trying to be political but I find it odd that every netflix show that I've watched is pushing an agenda. It can't just be entertainment for entertainment.

Some of the cooking shows APPEAR to be agenda free. (Or maybe they're just that subtle and insidious...)

It's a conspiracy to make us fatter.
  • nutmegoreo
    edited August 2018
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

They are steeped in consumerism selling pots and pans and utensils.

(Tongue in cheek here, I don't watch cooking shows)

As for the OP, I watched the first episode after reading the OP. It's not something I found particularly entertaining. Might watch the second episode, just to see if that changes, but I doubt it. I'd much rather watch some good old fashioned violence. I rarely sit and just watch anything so any undertones of agenda typically aren't noticed. It's not often I have something on that grabs my attention enough for me to actually sit and watch it.

I don't know, Gordon Ramsay is using "donkey" as an insult a lot.

Ah. Trying to corner the donkey market. Smart. Very subtle.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Slate destroyed it in its review. It's not my flavor of storyline, so I'd skip it anyway.
    What really cinched it, though: my daughters tortured me for months watching Disney's "Jesse" on a loop, which Debby Ryan starred in. I just can't watch the actress without getting flashbacks...
  • nutmegoreo
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I read somewhere that Kimmy Schmidt has a feminist agenda. I was like, wait, what? It just makes me laugh, I don't think about it that much. I guess if I was sensitive to that sort of thing, or perhaps I thought preachers should be allowed to kidnap teenage girls under an apocalypse ruse, I would be offended. I don't know.

I thought it's agenda was to preach the awesomeness of anyone named Kimmy :smiley:

A couple more people I know watched the first couple episodes of Insatiable and their review was "Meh". So it's pretty much off my radar. I watched the Netflix movie Extinction over the weekend. It was also "Meh".

That was my reaction too.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Its entertainment. You choose to watch or not. Excited to watch it. I saw Extinction. Twist at the end. lol
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I read somewhere that Kimmy Schmidt has a feminist agenda. I was like, wait, what? It just makes me laugh, I don't think about it that much. I guess if I was sensitive to that sort of thing, or perhaps I thought preachers should be allowed to kidnap teenage girls under an apocalypse ruse, I would be offended. I don't know.

I thought it's agenda was to preach the awesomeness of anyone named Kimmy :smiley:

A couple more people I know watched the first couple episodes of Insatiable and their review was "Meh". So it's pretty much off my radar. I watched the Netflix movie Extinction over the weekend. It was also "Meh".

That was on my to-watch list :confused:
    Oh well...

As agendas, I don't really think it matters. Dumb and dumber is not the only form of entertainment. Hot topics sell and engage, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it's just entertainment. Taking a hot topic and building a show around it is a very common formula (that has proven profitable in the case of Netflix). This is more so the case now that people are chronically offended. No one batted an eye when Monika from Friends was fat then stopped being fat and got hot.
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Ok, so I had to watch this to know what people were talking about. It’s freakin hilarious! The blatant subtext. The tongue and cheek cheekiness! It doesn’t take itself at all seriously. And homegirls is a MESS. Hahaha.

I agree. Pretty entertaining show. C'mon, bikini dog wash? That's just silly.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I have a crazy notion...just bear with me here it goes. Even if there was a show whose premise was offensive to a given group of people or that relied on rather crass humor then either no one will watch it and it will get cancelled or other people will find it entertaining and it will stay on....and that is okay. If we required that every show contain no material that was offensive to anyone just think out censored and bland and monontenous what something that is supposed to be entertainment would become. I know, crazy idea, but quite often what we find to be entertaining is things that are edgy, or culturally insensitive, or that push boundries.

Now I haven't personally watched this show, no idea if I would find it entertaining myself or not...no idea if I would actually find its portrals offensive (I honestly might I don't know)....but so what, not all media and entertainment has to be crafted to fit my particular tastes and there should be no compulsion for the public to "not offend" me.

I know this statement is so cliche at this point but it remains true....if you don't like the show, then don't watch the show.

I still watch Married with Children........

:)
  • nutmegoreo
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    I have a crazy notion...just bear with me here it goes. Even if there was a show whose premise was offensive to a given group of people or that relied on rather crass humor then either no one will watch it and it will get cancelled or other people will find it entertaining and it will stay on....and that is okay. If we required that every show contain no material that was offensive to anyone just think out censored and bland and monontenous what something that is supposed to be entertainment would become. I know, crazy idea, but quite often what we find to be entertaining is things that are edgy, or culturally insensitive, or that push boundries.

Now I haven't personally watched this show, no idea if I would find it entertaining myself or not...no idea if I would actually find its portrals offensive (I honestly might I don't know)....but so what, not all media and entertainment has to be crafted to fit my particular tastes and there should be no compulsion for the public to "not offend" me.

I know this statement is so cliche at this point but it remains true....if you don't like the show, then don't watch the show.

I still watch Married with Children........

:)

Neanderthal. :tongue:

(me too)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I'll give it a go. i like dark humor and sometimes the brain likes young people entertainment.

extinction...predictable. i figured it out right away and i kept praying thru the whole movie it wasn't that easy