Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Insatiable on Netflix: fat shaming or good entertainment?

Candyspun
Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
I’ve started watching several episodes of this show. The author of the series calls it her ‘fat revenge fantasy.’ However, it’s coming under fire in the media and body positivity groups as being ‘anti body positivity’ (should that be body negativity?) and fat shaming.

My partner, who is classified as morbidly obese and myself, who has just recently left the ‘overweight’ weight range, absolutely love it!

I thought it’d be an interesting topic for debate.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Have not seen it, but then I avoid any Netflix "documentary". They are usually crap.

It's a fictional series about a girl who loses a bunch of weight and decides to get revenge on the people who were cruel to her when she was overweight.

So, high school????

I *think* so, I haven't actually seen it.
  • Candyspun
    Yes, the lead is in high school.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Have not seen it, but then I avoid any Netflix "documentary". They are usually crap.

I think most netflix produced diet related documentaries/docuseries are crap but I could say the same about most diet related documentaries in general. Documentaries in general though? No.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    aokoye wrote: »

I think most netflix produced diet related documentaries/docuseries are crap but I could say the same about most diet related documentaries in general. Documentaries in general though? No.

Ever since History channel did the fake documentary on a prehistoric shark (that never existed) I'm skeptical of any I watch.

But the netflix one's are terrible. Complete crap. But not really the point of this thread (as I now know).
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

Ever since History channel did the fake documentary on a prehistoric shark (that never existed) I'm skeptical of any I watch.

But the netflix one's are terrible. Complete crap. But not really the point of this thread (as I now know).

Don't forget the one where the myth about lemmings committing mass suicide comes from.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

Don't forget the one where the myth about lemmings committing mass suicide comes from.

NO! Don't ruin lemmings for me dammit, I call people lemmings all the time :naughty:

I saw Alyssa Milano on a talk show and she said she felt the criticism was all coming from the trailer, and that it is actually satire and not fat shaming at all. I've heard mixed reviews from people, someone at work said it was "charmless" and all the characters were stereotypes and unlikable.

My "must watch" list is still long, so this will probably not get watched. I've heard better feedback on Dietland, so that one might have a chance!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member

Thankfully there are actual documentaries out there. That said, getting back on topic, I think that there's a current trend of, "well we need eyes and we need to do whatever is possible to get them." I think that's especially true with larger companies. There were days when the bulk of the content on TLC, The HIstory Channel, and The Discovery Channel, was actually educational.

Having read a NYTimes discussion about Insatiable, it sounds like the issue of potential fatphobia is only one of the many issues one could have with this show. Part of me is tempted to watch it so I can have a better idea of the quality of the show, but I also have plenty of things in my Netflix queue that I actually want to watch.
  • Candyspun
    edited August 2018
    I don't do high school/drama/romance stuff, so I haven't watched it. I did watch the trailer and my thoughts were "meh". I didn't read too much into it, entertainment is entertainment and nothing more. I don't expect any shows I watch to be factual, representative, politically correct, or have some deep message or philosophical stance. Some do have some of these elements, but that's not why I watch them. I watch them to be entertained, and the premise of this one didn't grab me. Simple as that. People usually read too much into stuff.

I agree. Not every story is going to represent every person. This is very light entertainment, and a dark comedy, something my partner and I are both fans of. I personally felt that if the show was 'preaching' anything, it's a strong anti-bullying and anti fat shaming message, along with the idea that losing weight won't magically fix all your problems.

The fact that the main character can't let go of all the hurt and anger towards her bullies from her fat days, manifests itself in really unhealthy ways, such as wanting to set fire to someone who was cruel towards her, but realising she had to learn to manage her anger and not take things too far. It's very over the top in that way.

Do I feel that the body positive crowd is reading too much into this? Yeah, I really do. In some of the articles I read criticising this, there were plenty of obese/overweight people who loved the show (in the comments). It only came out yesterday, and it amazes me that there was a petition against it based solely on the trailer. I mean, those who are against it could just not watch it, surely?
  • Candyspun
    newmeadow wrote: »
    I'm quite fat but I'd rather watch a documentary about a girl seeking revenge for being made fun of for wearing Sears' Toughskins instead of Levi's in the 5th grade.

The heroine could sneak up on the former bully 41 years later and throw a banana cream pie in her face while she's shopping at Ethan Allen. And then announce on the store's paging system that the former bully's husband has a very small kitten.

I'll star in it.

Almost everyone is walking around fat or at least fattish nowadays. It's lost it's novelty appeal as a source of made-for-TV entertainment.

That could work!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited August 2018

Are you trying to tell me that everything on the History channel isn't based on actual history?

History Channel only has one show, and it's Forged In Fire.