Reduce running to gain weight?

Options

Replies

• Livingstrongx
    Livingstrongx Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you haven't been fueling your runs so far?

I quit counting calories a while back and thought I would just eat intuitively but its backfired on me and now I plan to track again to make sure I'm fueling for my runs+gain weight.
    The other day I calculated everything I had been eating throughout the time I was trying to intuitively eat and only came out to 1300-1400 max so it's no wonder I lost all that weight. I will have to increase from here on out

I'd start with a rest week and a check up at the doctors personally

I'm on a waiting list for a new doctor since I switched from my old one so it will be quite a while to go for a checkup.

What's more important, your health or running?

Of course my health. Although my last checkup, I only had low iron but took care of that bu eating more iron rich foods and took daily iron pills for it. Other than that, I was in good condition
  • Livingstrongx
    Options
    How long habe you been underweight? You didn't drop from 18.5 to <14.4 in a few weeks

I've always been underweight but not THIS underweight but I'm honestly not too sure because like I've mentioned I'm not one to ever weigh myself often.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, it's OK to keep running -- with the caveat that you eat more, and you fuel those runs. (AKA: Ignore all of the threads about not eating your exercise calories.)

Please see your doctor, and ask for a referral to a dietitian. You're extremely underweight, and you need help eating and gaining safely.

Someone actually told me to reverse diet since my calories were so low before and that a sudden huge increase is not good. Should I ignore that too? Not very certain whether that's true or not

That's something you need to ask your doctor. When you are that far underweight, refeeding syndrome is a real concern.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I'm surprise you can run at all being this underweight. I would say to stop running all together until you see your doctor and get your calorie intake under control.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    You don't have to stop running, you just need to start eating A LOT. I am always envious of those who need to gain weight rather than lose and I think many of us here wish we had your concern. Not to make light of your situation in any way; the struggle is real for those who are chronically underweight too.

I would start by researching calorie dense foods then add those to your diet so that you are not overwhelmed by the increase in volume of food. Make sure you get your protein and a good level of micronutrients in, then indulge in what most others would consider treats: ice cream, cookies, chocolate, that sort of thing. I have a terrible sweet tooth though. If you don't, there are plenty of calorie dense foods out there. Nuts are a good example but you can find lots of things depending on what appeals to you most.

Of course you could reduce your running to reduce your CO but, if you enjoy it, why deprive yourself?

Just to add: a TDEE calculator will help you decide how much you should increase your calories. They are readily available online and there is one on MFP as well. I note you have only 2 posts and are quite young so you might be very new to this and still learning--if I'm preaching to the converted, my apologies.

Thanks for the info :) I will keep all of it in mind but I do have a question, is it bad idea to increase calories so suddenly? I was told that increasing calories so rapidly is a bad idea since I had been only eating very low calorie before (1300-1400) and that I should reverse diet?

I am not a medical practitioner in any way, shape or form and I absolutely bow to the wisdom of experience around here. You would be best off seeing a doctor immediately rather than following any advice from me. Perhaps if you indicate the severity of your condition, they will see you sooner than for a general checkup? Best of luck!
  • Livingstrongx
    Options

I quit counting calories a while back and thought I would just eat intuitively but its backfired on me and now I plan to track again to make sure I'm fueling for my runs+gain weight.
    The other day I calculated everything I had been eating throughout the time I was trying to intuitively eat and only came out to 1300-1400 max so it's no wonder I lost all that weight. I will have to increase from here on out

I'm on a waiting list for a new doctor since I switched from my old one so it will be quite a while to go for a checkup.

Of course my health. Although my last checkup, I only had low iron but took care of that bu eating more iron rich foods and took daily iron pills for it. Other than that, I was in good condition

But that was before you lost all this weight, no?

I think it's admirable that you started this thread, but it makes me sad that when the advice is not want you want to hear (eat more, stop running, see a doctor) you start to disagree and say actually you're probably ok at this weight.

You're not.

I'm not disregarding any advice, even the ones telling me to stop running. I mean, I'd prefer not to stop because running is something I truly love doing but if its something i have to stop to better my health, I'll have to do that I guess. I was just hoping I would be able to even while gaining weight because I know it's possible.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

But that was before you lost all this weight, no?

I think it's admirable that you started this thread, but it makes me sad that when the advice is not want you want to hear (eat more, stop running, see a doctor) you start to disagree and say actually you're probably ok at this weight.

You're not.

I'm not disregarding any advice, even the ones telling me to stop running. I mean, I'd prefer not to stop because running is something I truly love doing but if its something i have to stop to better my health, I'll have to do that I guess. I was just hoping I would be able to even while gaining weight because I know it's possible.

Seeing a doctor is step one, which you don't seem keen to do?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    I'm surprise you can run at all being this underweight. I would say to stop running all together until you see your doctor and get your calorie intake under control.

This.
    Also I understand what you say about "intuitive eating" but for people like you (and I) who struggle to gain weight, I don't think it works. I only gained weight when I started logging my food and activity levels accurately and realised I hadn't been eating anywhere near enough food. Even after a 3 week holiday earlier this year when I took a break from logging, I came back to find I'd lost 1 kg!
    I'd say your first step is to see a doctor and in the meantime cut down on running or take a complete break
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I've been through re-feeding. I'm not a doctor and this is only from my own experience. My BMI was 13. I also wasn't allowed to start running until my BMI was over 16. You should still see a doctor asap though.

1. immediate rest. stop all exercise and do as little activity as possible to conserve calories
    2. increase calories. 3 days at 1500 calories, eating 6 times a day- small meals/snacks
    3. increase calories. after 3 days, increase to 2000 calories. no exercise. still at 6 eating times a day to make it more manageable to eat.
    4. increase calories according to weight trends. after 7 days at 2000 calories and no exercise, check your weight to see what it has done. if it has increased, remain at 2000 calories and no exercise and then reassess after another week. if it has stayed the same or decreased, increase by 200 calories per day and remain at no exercise. continue this until weight is restored.

example
    day 1-3 - 1500 cals/day
    day 4- 11- 2000 cals/day
    weight has remained the same day 12-day 19- 2200 cals/day
    weight has gone up day 20-27 - 2200 cals/day
    weight has gone up day 28-25- 2200 cals/day

etc etc

6. light exercise can be introduced after 2 weeks if weight has consistently gone up. you must eat back all of your exercise calories. I used 100 calories per mile ran.

good luck.

Oh but I thought refeeding only occurred in people with anorexia? Or atleast that's what I've frequently read and heard

You are severly underweight(anything below bmi 18.5 is underweight, bmi 17is severely underweight and 16 is starvation. You are bmi 14.4). You are massively undereating.You need to restore your weight up to at least bmi 18.5 so you will need to increase your calories with a method like above.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I ran a little more on average while playing baseball, working construction, lifting at then age 46 at 210-220lbs with a low body fat.

I just would eat more of the foods laced with higher calories like peanut butter & ice cream which can be your friends. I needed up to 8-12k in cals just to keep the weight. Find high calories food that fits your goals.

I find this very hard to believe.....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I've been through re-feeding. I'm not a doctor and this is only from my own experience. My BMI was 13. I also wasn't allowed to start running until my BMI was over 16. You should still see a doctor asap though.

1. immediate rest. stop all exercise and do as little activity as possible to conserve calories
    2. increase calories. 3 days at 1500 calories, eating 6 times a day- small meals/snacks
    3. increase calories. after 3 days, increase to 2000 calories. no exercise. still at 6 eating times a day to make it more manageable to eat.
    4. increase calories according to weight trends. after 7 days at 2000 calories and no exercise, check your weight to see what it has done. if it has increased, remain at 2000 calories and no exercise and then reassess after another week. if it has stayed the same or decreased, increase by 200 calories per day and remain at no exercise. continue this until weight is restored.

example
    day 1-3 - 1500 cals/day
    day 4- 11- 2000 cals/day

etc etc

6. light exercise can be introduced after 2 weeks if weight has consistently gone up. you must eat back all of your exercise calories. I used 100 calories per mile ran.

good luck.

Oh but I thought refeeding only occurred in people with anorexia? Or atleast that's what I've frequently read and heard

How much weight have you gained since you first posted @livingstrongx ?
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    You mention that you are on a waiting list for a doctor. Did you tell them your height and weight? Is possible to go to an urgent care clinic instead of waiting? Have you made any changes since you last posted? How many calories are you eating now? Did you stop running?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options

example
    day 1-3 - 1500 cals/day
    day 4- 11- 2000 cals/day

etc etc

good luck.

It applies to anyone who is severely underweight regardless of cause. In order to get so underweight you either have a major physical issue going on or a mental one which needs to be monitored. Hope you get the help you need.
  • Livingstrongx
    Options

example
    day 1-3 - 1500 cals/day
    day 4- 11- 2000 cals/day

etc etc

good luck.

How much weight have you gained since you first posted @livingstrongx ?

I think about 2 pounds. I dont normally weigh myself but I weighed myself consistently for the past week just to see if I was gaining anything. I increased my calories but am doing it slowly as I dont want to shock my body with a large amount of calories at once