Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Intermittent Fasting/Clean Fasting Debate

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    kds10 wrote: »
    I think you can find both good and bad research for anything...the 5 small meals a day way of eating, I have yet to see any research that shows that it is a better way vs another way. Regardless that would never work for me...no interest in doing that. IF worked for me because I know myself well enough to know that counting points/calories, fat grams, etc. etc. will not be sustainable and in doing IF it seemed to work for me.

Yeah, if someone tried to claim that eating five small meals a day provided unique benefits, I would be skeptical of that claim too.

Maybe a bit of a sidebar, but it depends on the context. Eric Helms has recently cited research (I think it was his own, but not sure and not at my computer right now) that for bodybuilders/people trying to maximize muscle protein synthesis, the most optimal approach is meals with 30-50g protein spaced 3-4 hours apart throughout the day.

A specialized context for very specific purposes, but evidence-based research nonetheless.

Dr. Brad Schoenfeld has the same recommendation based on his latest research for those trying to maximize muscle gain.

I may be misattributing the source, then. Or maybe they’re both recommending it from the same research.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    kds10 wrote: »
    I think you can find both good and bad research for anything...the 5 small meals a day way of eating, I have yet to see any research that shows that it is a better way vs another way. Regardless that would never work for me...no interest in doing that. IF worked for me because I know myself well enough to know that counting points/calories, fat grams, etc. etc. will not be sustainable and in doing IF it seemed to work for me.

Yeah, if someone tried to claim that eating five small meals a day provided unique benefits, I would be skeptical of that claim too.

Maybe a bit of a sidebar, but it depends on the context. Eric Helms has recently cited research (I think it was his own, but not sure and not at my computer right now) that for bodybuilders/people trying to maximize muscle protein synthesis, the most optimal approach is meals with 30-50g protein spaced 3-4 hours apart throughout the day.

A specialized context for very specific purposes, but evidence-based research nonetheless.

Dr. Brad Schoenfeld has the same recommendation based on his latest research for those trying to maximize muscle gain.

I may be misattributing the source, then. Or maybe they’re both recommending it from the same research.

They both have it, as does Alan Aragon. I think they all did the study together.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Slowfaster wrote: »
    Fasting study

and

Circadian rhythm study.

Several reputable medical research facilities have done studies showing various benefits of intermittent fasting.

Its a shame the first is behind paid window, but is does note that they are still researching to if the benefit is weight loss or IF related. But its also done on prediabetic men, so application might be limited.

The latter is an animal model, so while good to drive investigative studies, they rarely have carry over into human trials.

A few of the sources I've found regarding IF:

Interview w/Brad Schoenfeld (one study directly referenced): https://www.dymatize-athletic-nutrition.com/en_GB/why-dymatize/blog/intermittent-fasting-fat-loss-and-better-health

Pubmed - IF equivalent, not superior for weight loss: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26384657

Year-long study of 5:2 IF vs. traditional caloric restriction: https://www.myoleanfitness.com/intermittent-fasting-vs-traditional-dieting/

IF does not modulate the compensatory mechanisms activated weight loss: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0261561417301255

No advantage to IF over traditional caloric restriction: https://www.iifym.com/intermittent-fasting-myths-debunked/
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    ...The transient increases in HGH and Test are a response to starvation, but it doesn't mean that you maintain those level, increasing muacle gains. These are often the wild claims from many of the enthusiasts...

And it’s a relevant part of the conversation that any endogenous transient increases in test and/or HGH aren’t going to amount to anything in terms of muscle gain/preservation. They’re never going to reach the supraphysical levels needed to fulfill that function - which is why bodybuilders inject exogenous test and HGH rather than just IF’ing for their gains.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    What is clean fasting? That's not a phrase I've heard before...

Basically you just drink water, black coffee unsweetened tea. Anything with flavor spikes your insulin levels. Some stuff is in the gray area. Like lemon in water. As in it's completely dependent on the person. When your insulin levels are spiked your body, it stops your body from healing. It takes about 3 weeks for your body to adjust and start healing itself. This is just a super short summary though lol.

This is complete nonsense.

Actually it's science.

That word you're using... I don't think it means what you think it means.

So what, the scientific studies I've looked at are wrong?

If it came from Dr. Axe, yes. He's a well-known quack.

At first I thought she'd link to Dr F....
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    mosspm123 wrote: »
    Intermittent fasting is great! Im currently doing the 20:4 fast and it's working wonders. IF is the fastest growing fitness trend and it actually works! Above all it's free which is why there is a big backlash against it. Many weight loss companies and fitness gurus have a lot to lose because it's simple to do and you don't need to buy books or programs to do it. Cheers to a healtheir future! :smiley:

It works in the same manner that Paleo worked a few years ago.

But I'd caution you to get more protein, and probably more calories in your diet if you want to maintain your muscle mass. The problem I have with extended fast is that it because difficult to consistently get 1.5 to 2.2g/kg of protein.