Impossible to hit Protein without going over Fat

Options
2»

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    I think of this starting with the calorie goal. Say you are shooting to eat 1100 kcals per day. At 125lbs, your minimum protein intake should be ~56g to 112 g per day. I don't like going too high on the protein when on a deficit because it just forces your body to metabolize it for fuel, which is inefficient and can affect performance. You can just go by how you feel.

Say you pick 60 g per day of protein. That will be 320 kcals, which is about 29%. The rest will come from carbs and fats. In my opinion, you can go heavy on the fats, such that up to 50% of your total calories come from fats, meaning that only 21% come from carbs. This is a good strategy if you don't do big cardio workouts.

You can get zero or low calorie fiber supplements, if you need them. I have found that just eating a serving of oatmeal plus an apple every day is enough for me.

If you do cardio (jogging, etc.), I think you should replace a high fraction of calories burned with carbs. This gives your body a good source of fuel for such workouts. It helps to keep a regular schedule, so you can eat more or less the same every day. It also helps to have a banana or something right before a hard cardio workout.

Your math is off. 60g of protein is 240 calories not 320. 80 grams would be 320.

Also I hope you're not shooting for 1100 calories a day only.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    jenlameo wrote: »
    Thank you everyone! i just NOW saw these replies, ( new to the Community section of this app). I have been able to find some low fat protein options. I think a lot of trial and error is a huge part of it. Sometimes I go way over my fiber. Usually getting my fiber in is no problem. I thought lean turkey breast was a good idea until my sodium skyrocketed. I try for low sodium tuna, etc. I think what I’m finding most difficult now is to reach my calories once my macros are hit. I’m left with almost 800 calories sometimes . This is hard!! haha

If you hit all your macros, all your calories would be accounted for. So this is likely an issue of using incorrect database entries. Many (and I mean MANY) of them are incorrect and don't add up right.

1 g of protein is 4 calories.
    1 g of carbs is 4 calories.
    1 g of fat is 9 calories.

If your entries in your diary are correct, then all macros and calories will be accounted for if you perfectly hit your macros.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Go to foods include many mentioned by other posters:
    Tuna, lean chicken/turkey, lean ground beef/steak, fat free greek yogurt (some carbs aren't going to kill you), protein powder (rarely used nowadays)

Key is making them palatable with spices, seasonings, low kcal condiments (dijon mustard, salsa, artificial sweeteners (greek yogurt, also not going to kill you...). Hell I even use relatively low kcal marinara sauce (measure & do not overdo it).
    Eating dry lean meat on a consistent basis is challenging to say the least (compliance can be problematic). Other issue is high protein foods generally cost more
  • Valentinogomez
    Valentinogomez Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    jenlameo wrote: »
    I know this is all difficult, but I find it impossible to hit my protein goals without going over fat. If I stay under my fat I usually don’t have enough fiber . I’ve been barely reaching my caloric requirement while troubleshooting all of this. I’m female , 5’5 125 lbs. Any suggestions?

Im shooting for 200g+ of protein at a deficient of 2100 calories and its quite easy staying under 50g of fat ? I would like to know what your calorie intakes are and macros could easily adjust it for you