Weighing fruit? How best to do it.

Options
I eat cherries on a regular basis. I have been putting them in a measuring cup to get 1 cup. But should I be weighing them on a food scale for 8 oz?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Yes, weighing fruit is more accurate than using measuring cups.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,717 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you want to be totally accurate in your logging, yes you should be using a scale. That goes for all foods, really. Weigh the solids and measure the liquids. :)

Cherries (assuming you mean fresh, raw ones) are not that high in calories, but if you're working with a very small calorie deficit you may also find using a scale helps you keep better track than using measuring cups. Once you get used to it, using a scale is second-nature. I find it easier than measuring cups. :)
  • Whey125
    Whey125 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I prefer to weigh and compare to usda food database.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Weighing. More accurate, less cleanup.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    8 fluid ounces is one cup, yes, but don't mix weight with volume. Grams may be easier. When you use a scale, you can weigh out exactly how much you want. Log the amount you're eating. Anything not eaten (pits, shells, bones, stalks etc) should ideally be subtracted.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I try not to eat more than a portion size -which is a cup. I like weighing because I get more to eat! Something someone said in another post got me thinking about weighing the cherries.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Weigh cherries with the pits or without the pits?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    Weigh cherries with the pits or without the pits?

Weigh whatever you’re actually eating.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I weigh whole and then subtract the pits afterwards. Just log the part you eat.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

That. Put a bowl on the scale, zero it, add the washed cherries, and note the weight in grams. As you eat the cherries, put the pits back in the bowl. When you're done, put the bowl on the scale, zero it, dump out the pits, and read the negative value on the scale. Subtract that negative amount (which is the weight of the pits) from the starting weight of the cherries, and log the result in grams.

Quick, easy, and as accurate as you can make it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I try not to eat more than a portion size -which is a cup. I like weighing because I get more to eat! Something someone said in another post got me thinking about weighing the cherries.

Be careful now. People are encouraged to weigh things when they aren't losing weight. Not losing weight means they're overall eating more than they think. Weighing things means that their portions will be smaller, not bigger.

A portion is whatever you decide to eat at one sitting. You can eat as much as you want of any food. Your total calories have to add up to your daily target if you want to manage your weight.

A serving size can be whatever someone (the government, the manufacturer) has decided it is. For some reason someone has decided that for cherries, that is a cup. A fluid ounce is around 30 ml. A cup is 8 fluid ounces. A cup of cherries equals around 156 grams. So if you decide to eat "a weighed cup", you get 240 grams.

It's so easy to eat more. If you want to succeed, you have to stand up against the little voice in your head that always tries to persuade you to not listen to your rational mind.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »

That. Put a bowl on the scale, zero it, add the washed cherries, and note the weight in grams. As you eat the cherries, put the pits back in the bowl. When you're done, put the bowl on the scale, zero it, dump out the pits, and read the negative value on the scale. Subtract that negative amount (which is the weight of the pits) from the starting weight of the cherries, and log the result in grams.

Quick, easy, and as accurate as you can make it.

I do this with oranges, too. Weigh orange and note weight, peel, weigh peeled skin and subtract this from noted weight.
    Actually, I do this with most fruit that has skin that I don’t eat (melon, banana, kiwifruit etc).