Exercise gets easier

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I’ve been struggling just to get started exercising. I’m doing a major cleaning out of my condo (4 kids, myself, a dog and three ferrets...in a 2 bedroom condo). So I think I’m getting some good exercise doing all this cleaning and hauling. It’s just...the idea of actually “starting” an exercise program...everything I do, I feel like I need to make it a habit...it seems overwhelming. I always have an excuse not to start “today”.

It helps me to do exercise I like, or to do something else I like while I exercise. I do The RBG Workout: How She Stays Strong . . . and You Can Too! at home, and once I was familiar with it, started watching bingeable shows like Scandal while I did it. I'm always fine once I start exercising, but it's often hard to start, and wondering what was going to happen next on my show helps me to start.

When the heat and humidity diminishes, I will return to walking or hiking or doing trail maintenance at lunch time. I like this anyway, but I also have good playlists or podcasts to keep me company.

I just made doing something mid day a habit, and start to get antsy around lunchtime, jonesing for my cardio high ;)

I realize that since I work from home I have more flexibility, but I also managed to walk or go to the gym when I worked in an office. They were ok with me taking longer lunches occasionally, as they could count on me to make up the time.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    It’s gotten easier for me, in that I look forward to it now and feel off if I don’t at least take a walk.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    VUA21 wrote: »
    @michaelandashley4infinity

Sorry to have to break this to you: exercise never gets easier, you're just getting better.

Congratulations!

So true! Once going up an endless hill with my (more experienced) riding partner I was whining "When does it get easier?". She yelled back "It doesn't. You just get faster."

That's a famous Greg LeMond quote, and one of my favorites: "It never gets easier, you just go faster."

Thanks, I never knew that!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Really? I'm still struggling in spin class and I'm spinning three times a week for over 5 years.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Really? I'm still struggling in spin class and I'm spinning three times a week for over 5 years.

I'd wager (someone else's money of course) that your tension on bike has gone up - if it had a speed display relating tension to speed - you'd be going faster in essence.
    Good job on not allowing it to get easier.

I've seen some though relate speed purely to turning of wheel, so basically cadence is speed, and very wrong figure. Though, even the bikes that give speed, that's inside speed with no normal air resistance that outside would give you, like the database entries for calories are given for.
  • michaelandashley4infinity
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Just found out I'm not eating enough vegies and I have to start a 1200 calorie food and drink daily goal. I got told off my dietician I'm doing enough exercise just gotta work on eating less and healthier and only having junk food once a week. I can have 1/2 block of chocolate but only once a week. Done an hour bicycle riding yesterday and about 40-50 minutes of bike riding today. Probably do my 7.5km walk tomorrow and another bike ride. I've gotta keep up the exercise everyday.

How tall are you and how many more pounds do you want to lose?

Is that 1200 calories net, meaning you eat back the calories you earn from exercise?

I am 175 cm tall and I dunno how many pounds I wanna lose I just want a good body so I'm not sure how many I need to lose to be honest probably heaps
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I have been up and down in weight and when I became abit to big I knew I needed to do something about it. Today I exercise everyday going on a 7.5km walk daily and since yesterday I started bike riding for an hour and I love it. How many people enjoy exercise now? And how many people hate exercise? Maybe I can help encourage people who find it hard to exercise. I did learn one thing even a walk around the block of your house is better than nothing and just standing up for an hour burns 100 calories. Good luck and don't give up and always be proud of what you can do better and the exercise you do. Always be happy and try not to stress and think positive and drink water if you can tea coffee lemon water all those things are good for you. I have come along way but I'm still not at my goal weight but I'm not giving up. 7atep368wrd8.jpg

Easier? Never. You will always try for more and try to push yourself harder. It never gets easier.... not for me. But its very... extremely rewarding and enjoyable. :)

Keep at it!!!!

Thanks
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Just found out I'm not eating enough vegies and I have to start a 1200 calorie food and drink daily goal. I got told off my dietician I'm doing enough exercise just gotta work on eating less and healthier and only having junk food once a week. I can have 1/2 block of chocolate but only once a week. Done an hour bicycle riding yesterday and about 40-50 minutes of bike riding today. Probably do my 7.5km walk tomorrow and another bike ride. I've gotta keep up the exercise everyday.

Is that 1200 calories net, meaning you eat back the calories you earn from exercise?

OP - don't want you to miss this.

As you are exercising more than walking, being more intense and sounds like wanting to transform the body more than mere weight lost would indicate - this becomes much more important.

Now - don't go logging standing as exercise, nor walking in grocery store, and only half the time spent walking as exercise - but if you keep adding on, you need to learn to eat more when you do more, but also eat less when you do less.

I only log my walking to and from places like my 7.5km walk and walking to shops not in the shops and I don't log standing up either. I do log my bike rides also and gardening for that four hours straight burned 700 calories if I remember correctly but I could be wrong. And I logged my 7 km ride yesterday. So you reckon to eat more when I do more and eat less when I do less?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    VUA21 wrote: »
    @michaelandashley4infinity

Sorry to have to break this to you: exercise never gets easier, you're just getting better.

Congratulations!

So true! Once going up an endless hill with my (more experienced) riding partner I was whining "When does it get easier?". She yelled back "It doesn't. You just get faster."

That's a famous Greg LeMond quote, and one of my favorites: "It never gets easier, you just go faster."

I noticed it's the same thing in the gym. It never gets easier, you just put more weight on the bar.

Other stuff gets easier, though.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    To me, exercise feels easier than it did at first. I don't know how much of that has to do with improvements in my health and how much of that has to do with the fact that I've taken to listening to audio books while I walk, plank, and lift, but it *does* feel less tedious and more routine. I actually miss exercising when I can't for some reason. Sometimes.
  • heybales
    Options

As you are exercising more than walking, being more intense and sounds like wanting to transform the body more than mere weight lost would indicate - this becomes much more important.

Now - don't go logging standing as exercise, nor walking in grocery store, and only half the time spent walking as exercise - but if you keep adding on, you need to learn to eat more when you do more, but also eat less when you do less.

I only log my walking to and from places like my 7.5km walk and walking to shops not in the shops and I don't log standing up either. I do log my bike rides also and gardening for that four hours straight burned 700 calories if I remember correctly but I could be wrong. And I logged my 7 km ride yesterday. So you reckon to eat more when I do more and eat less when I do less?

That is the principle of weight management that MFP is trying to teach.
    Which is very correct - most of us get caught on the eating less when truly doing less. Like each winter sometimes - and those constantly add up through the years.

You goal is likely rarely 1200 - that is base calories if you were truly sedentary each and every day.
    That means bump on a log 7 days a week, less than 4K steps usually, no family/house responsibilities.
    You most obviously are not - therefore by logging workouts MFP would correctly add calories to your eating goal - so your deficit to lose weight stays at hopefully a reasonable level.

Hence the question of how much to lose to healthy weight.
    Most would love to lose as fast as possible - to their own detriment in either reaching their goal, and/or maintaining it from then on. Or in what is lost, ie not all fat.
    But what is reasonable rate to the body before things backfire, changes as you have less to lose.
    It's always best to slow the rate purposely before the body does it out of necessity by adapting to the stress.

Since walking is such a low level activity unless race walking - I'd suggest logging half the time, or cut the suggested calorie burn in half.
    If biking is slow and around the same rate, do the same.
    Then eat those calories back.
    Options

That is the principle of weight management that MFP is trying to teach.
    Which is very correct - most of us get caught on the eating less when truly doing less. Like each winter sometimes - and those constantly add up through the years.

You goal is likely rarely 1200 - that is base calories if you were truly sedentary each and every day.
    That means bump on a log 7 days a week, less than 4K steps usually, no family/house responsibilities.
    You most obviously are not - therefore by logging workouts MFP would correctly add calories to your eating goal - so your deficit to lose weight stays at hopefully a reasonable level.

Hence the question of how much to lose to healthy weight.
    Most would love to lose as fast as possible - to their own detriment in either reaching their goal, and/or maintaining it from then on. Or in what is lost, ie not all fat.
    But what is reasonable rate to the body before things backfire, changes as you have less to lose.
    It's always best to slow the rate purposely before the body does it out of necessity by adapting to the stress.

Since walking is such a low level activity unless race walking - I'd suggest logging half the time, or cut the suggested calorie burn in half.
    If biking is slow and around the same rate, do the same.
    Then eat those calories back.

Are you calling me a liar? Since April 18th I've lost 10.9 kg up until today 16th august. That's four months nearly. How much have you lost? I think 10.9 kg weight lost is pretty good. I've lost 2.9 kg more then I should have as professionals in weight loss recommend 1/2 a kg a week
  • heybales
    Options
    I'm not sure what you read in my comment to cause such a reaction, I never commented on any of your claims sounding untrue.

I was commenting on MFP goals and the way it works, and suggestion on logging to still eat back good amount of exercise calories to learn what MFP is trying to teach.
    Suggest rereading my comments and letting me know what was misunderstood since something was.

Congrats on your loss.

And to the point of your loss being better than pro's recommend - that's why I made comment about faster is not always better - hence 3 people in this topic asking how much to lose. I know why they asked, because they are as concerned as I am about people going too fast for ultimately their own good.
    Options
    I'm not sure what you read in my comment to cause such a reaction, I never commented on any of your claims sounding untrue.

I was commenting on MFP goals and the way it works, and suggestion on logging to still eat back good amount of exercise calories to learn what MFP is trying to teach.
    Suggest rereading my comments and letting me know what was misunderstood since something was.

Congrats on your loss.

And to the point of your loss being better than pro's recommend - that's why I made comment about faster is not always better - hence 3 people in this topic asking how much to lose. I know why they asked, because they are as concerned as I am about people going too fast for ultimately their own good.

I'm sorry if I took it the wrong way, that's probably because of my borderline personality disorder sorry
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    I read in WebMD magazine that it is better to go longer at a moderate intensity rather than a shorter time at greater intensity. I have been trying this in my walking and find it's true. That is just my experience.
  • emjay196363
    emjay196363 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I started walking about a month ago. At first I could only do a slow walk (about 2MPH) for 20 minutes and I struggled to do even a short uphill. This morning I did a full hour at 3.4MPH. I've started throwing in a little slow jogging - I could barely lift my knees at first, but it's getting easier and easier. But as it gets easier, I feel this internal pressure to make it harder, if that makes sense. I guess real jogging is next.
    Options
    I read in WebMD magazine that it is better to go longer at a moderate intensity rather than a shorter time at greater intensity. I have been trying this in my walking and find it's true. That is just my experience.

Yes that is true I read that to. Good going well done
    Options
    I started walking about a month ago. At first I could only do a slow walk (about 2MPH) for 20 minutes and I struggled to do even a short uphill. This morning I did a full hour at 3.4MPH. I've started throwing in a little slow jogging - I could barely lift my knees at first, but it's getting easier and easier. But as it gets easier, I feel this internal pressure to make it harder, if that makes sense. I guess real jogging is next.

Well done your going good
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

I can go all out and burn maybe 300 calories in a burial 20 minutes on my bike, and then limp home gasping for air. Or I can enjoy a pleasant ride for a couple hours and burn 1,000 calories. The stuff I enjoy doing requires stamina and endurance, not a great sprint. So I think you're right on the money.
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Easier? Sure.

And, if you find the right ways to be active, even joyous. I rowed this morning, and it was glorious: Flat water, birds in the air, flowers on the shore, tiny dragonflies hitching a ride on my double partner's hat, sun on my skin, muscles working, fresh air. Can't beat that!

Tomorrow is spin class: Music, heart pounding, concentration, a social context - pretty darned fun, too.

And when I'd been doing those things (and others) long enough, it started feeling physically bad not to do something physical often enough (I got tense, moodier, stiff/achy, etc.).

It's kinda magic, really.

Do you know how inspiring you are? You are my hero!