Crunches can’t get it right

Every time try crunches exert self to much as get neck sore because are pushing chin into neck like squeezing a lemon under it
Follow videos but can’t see how far up should go when exhale and contract abs
Try lifting mid back as well as shoulders that seems wrong
Can dumbbells be used to lock feet

Replies

• GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    I don't know if this is good advice, bad advice, I just got stronger or what, but here is my experience:

In a group classI used to attend we had to do lots of crunches. My neck was always sore so it's pretty clear I was doing them wrong. I started CrossFit and there we do full situps where we separate our knees and actually touch our toes. My neck is no longer sore doing this. Try those??

Anyone feel free to chime in if my advice is bad.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Bent over rows did a lot more to get my core stronger than attempting to do crunches back when I was weaker ever did. Crunches and sit-ups seem (to me) to require a certain amount of core strength to begin with to be able to do them with decent form and not tweak anything. I can do them fine now, but not back when my core was weaker. When I do them now (along with leg raises/planks/etc), it's largely to fill time between sets.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    I do not do any kind of crunches. Too hard on the neck and they aren't nearly as effective as planks. There are so many variations to do that I can keep my core strong just doing those. I downloaded a plank challenge on my phone and I do that almost daily.
  • Bobthedog3232
    Bobthedog3232 Posts: 54 Member
    Downloaded a plank app and are doing that daily
    The sit ups separating the knees is very helpful will try that
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    I would choose hollow holds or dead bugs over crunches and sit ups.
  • Bobthedog3232
    Will try that also thanks
  • Bobthedog3232
    They are overrated and thanks to lumbar muscle spinal pain never doing them again
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Why are you doing crunches at all?

^^^^ this.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Try planks, hollow holds, leg lifts...
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    They are overrated and thanks to lumbar muscle spinal pain never doing them again

So have you tried planks or any of the other suggestions in this thread? Just curious since you commented on it again after so long.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Why are you doing crunches at all?

Crunches (and situps) are "old school" exercises that are no longer recommended because they they risk injury to your back w/o any meaningful benefit to core strength, given that there are other exercises (like hanging or seated straight or bent leg raises) that can achieve the same goal w/o risk of back injury.

I was just thinking the same thing... haven't done a crunch since 1990 something :smiley:
  • Bobthedog3232
    Then why are crunches incorporated in so much now it’s infuriating
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member

A program written by anyone who knows what they're doing does not incorporate crunches.
  • Bobthedog3232
    So the same is true with sit ups that’s old school as well isn’t it
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    Crunches have their place, but it works so little on actual core strength.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member

I guess for some it's better than nothing. I am not supposed to do planks because of a shoulder injury....I do because I'm a glutton for punishment. But with all exercise it's better than nothing i suppose
  • Bobthedog3232
    Do planks hollow holds but 1 minute at a time
    The issue is consistency get a sore Lower back and get frustrated
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    No crunches No planks.

Hollow body hold and dumbbell pull overs for ab work.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Depends on the person. My husband only did sit ups and cable crunches and got awesome abs doing so.

I am following a routine he set up for me and my core is definitely much stronger than it was before, but many other full body exercises are involved in my routine.

If you hurt yourself doing an exercise though and can’t get form right or avoid injury no matter what you do, stop doing that exercise.

For some reason lunges always hurt my knees, no matter what. So, I simply replaced lunges with another exercise that DIDNT cause me any pain. 😊