Crunches can’t get it right

Options
2»

Replies

• IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Ditch em. Most people have abs, the trick is getting lean enough to show them. I rarely train abs directly, heavy squats and deadlifts work em enough for me. I've probably done 10 crunches in my life. If you want to train abs, planks and leg raises are some options I like.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    This is an old thread, but gave me plenty of things to 'look up' for core work. Thanks!
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Crunches and planks are bad for your back.

Dumbbells Pullovers
    https://youtu.be/NmOXqeXnbPM

Hollow Body Hold
    https://youtu.be/2fB1R9uWQbw

This is me. I'm 48 and do no crunches or planks. My lower back is bullet proof.
    jyfgcxm2om6g.jpg

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    KHMcG wrote: »
    Crunches and planks are bad for your back.

Dumbbells Pullovers
    https://youtu.be/NmOXqeXnbPM

Hollow Body Hold
    https://youtu.be/2fB1R9uWQbw

This is me. I'm 48 and do no crunches or planks. My lower back is bullet proof.
    jyfgcxm2om6g.jpg

Crunches are not inherently bad for your back. Doing crunches WRONG is bad for your back. Since OP is getting back pain from crunches, it stands to reason they do them wrong and should not do them.

Just like with weight loss, there are many different exercises one can choose to do to get great abs.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Yes they are bad. Google it. It's unanimous.

According to Harvard Medical School, crunches are hard on your back, since they "push your curved spine against the floor and work your hip flexors, the muscles that run from the thighs to the lumbar vertebrae in the lower back." When your hip flexors are too tight, they pull on your lower spine, which can cause lower ...Apr 2, 2018
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Try planks, hollow holds, leg lifts...

Hollow body holds for the win!
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Yes they are bad. Google it. It's unanimous.

According to Harvard Medical School, crunches are hard on your back, since they "push your curved spine against the floor and work your hip flexors, the muscles that run from the thighs to the lumbar vertebrae in the lower back." When your hip flexors are too tight, they pull on your lower spine, which can cause lower ...Apr 2, 2018

Lol I did google it and it is NOT unanimous, what IS unanimous is that yes you COULD get hurt. So as I already said, OP IS hurting their back and shouldn’t do them.

Thanks for making me laugh though!
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I am doing Dead Bug, Dumbbell Pullover (but will start on a bench w/ hip/back/head fully supported) and Hollow Hold tomorrow. Wish me luck. :)
  • steph6556
    steph6556 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    @KHMcG, impressive abs! I would love for mine to look like that! I am going to work dumbbell pullovers into my routine now. Planks are not an issue for me though, especially side planks which work that nice waist line but I appreciate the motivation you just provided, hehe.
  • JintheSouth
    JintheSouth Posts: 44 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Prevention magazine has a good 30 day core challenge. I do this on repeat.

https://www.prevention.com/fitness/workouts/g29180866/30-day-ab-challenge/

I want to try the dumbbell pullover but I don’t have dumbbells. I might try them with my kettlebells.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas in this thread!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Crunches are not inherently bad for your back. Doing crunches WRONG is bad for your back. Since OP is getting back pain from crunches, it stands to reason they do them wrong and should not do them.

Agreed. First and foremost everyone should learn how to activate their TVA before doing any crunch, sit-up, plank etc. If you are doing core without TVA activation you are wasting your time. Hollow body hold progressions are great for this...

• MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    There doesn't appear to be a goal listed here... Not that any of the advice given is wrong or right but without addressing the major goal of why one does crunches (or anything) it's very difficult if not impossible to help someone.

Why are you doing crunches? Is the goal a six pack? Are training and preparing for a crunch/sit up test such as law enforcement or military? Are you trying to break the world record in crunches?

It's wrong to tell you not to do them if you're specifically needing to do them for your given goal or task of completing so many reps but I can see why that advice would make sense otherwise if you're looking to work your abs in a meaningful way so that you can get beach body ready for the summer.

Can you give us more background please? Training goals, training history, injuries or special accommodations needed to be considered?