Frustrating Spouse

born_of_fire74
born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
I'm having a hard time because my husband seems to think it's a forgone conclusion that I will leave him now that I've lost weight and improved my fitness despite the fact that I'm not interested in going anywhere or being with anyone else. This has become an issue lately because, when we have normal, generally trivial conflict in our relationship, he just throws his hands up and says I'm going to leave him.

Wet towel on the floor in the bathroom? Oh well, you're just going to leave me now that you're fit and hot. Stuck at work late and didn't text? Oh well, you're just going to leave me now that you're fit and hot. Forgot to take out the garbage on garbage day? Oh well, you're just going to leave me now that you're fit and hot. Left the overhead garage door open? Oh well, you're just going to leave me now that you're fit and hot. No matter what comes up between us, the answer lately is "oh well, you're just going to leave me now that you're fit and hot."

It's frustrating and tiresome to have any and all of what I say to him dismissed out of hand because I'm just going to leave him anyway. It's like he's trying to drive me away even though he assures me he's not feeling anxious about my appearance or suffering self esteem issues because he can't seem to lose weight himself.

Just to head off any suggestions that I help him lose weight, that is a no starter. He won't weigh and log his foods--I've tried to get him to, even offered to help him figure out MFP but no go. He eats healthier food than I do which seems to really bother him because he doesn't get that it doesn't matter what you eat when trying to lose weight, it only matters how much you eat. He's a volume eater and loves his veggies whereas I'm all about fats for satiety which seems to add to his bother. How dare I enjoy a burger or pizza that I've worked into my calorie allotment when everyone knows you need to eat mounds of salad and nothing else to lose weight?? He won't come to crossfit with me. I got him to come to one class and he suffered tremendously because he didn't pace himself. Now he swears "no one can do crossfit, it is impossible" even though I do it every weekday morning. He hasn't taken up some other less impossible activity either so, between eating all the food and doing none of the exercise, is it any surprise he can't lose weight?

I adore my husband and he is my best friend. We've been together over half of my life. We are getting ready to celebrate our 12th wedding anniversary and our 25th year as a couple. That said, I'm at my wits end. I do more and more things by myself and talk to him less and less each day just to avoid the risk of conflict. I'm starting to feel like I have a bitchy roommate more than I have a husband.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Replies

• 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    I could have written this myself. Word for word ( besides the CrossFit) is what I went through for many years.
    I've been with my husband since we were 16 so it was extremely difficult to suddenly be accused of such things.
    The only thing that helped was time. After a few years he kinda forgot about it and life went on as normal. He doesn't mention it anymore.
    There was years and years that I had to constantly reassure him that my intent was not to leave but to better myself.
    In time things went back to normal though. We tried counseling and all that stuff but it didn't work for us. Maybe you'll have better luck with it though?
    Believe me I know what you are going through and it sucks.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    That sounds like a hard situation to be in. I'm not sure if I can be of any help because I have never been in a similar situation.

Maybe try to talk about it with him before it come on the subject next, an evening where you guys are enjoying each other's company with no arguing at the horizon. Tell him how you feel about it and that you feel pressured to do something but you don't know what since you don't plan on leaving him anytime soon. That while you appreciate being called fit and hot, being accused of something untrue because of it is not fair and even a bit hurtful.
    Even though he doesn't admit it, he might just think that you are now better looking than him and you'll try to find someone else. Without actually saying that or bringing up his weight or appearance, maybe say that you love him and are attracted to him, but his personnality lately has been a but abrasive and hard to deal with.

Good luck!
  • Quest4More
    Quest4More Posts: 24 Member
    Tell him to stop whining....sounds like he needs some tough love on your part. If he isn't following your healthy lead it may be time for you to say "hey, i dont want to leave you but I do love you and want you to make changes for both of our good that will help us enjoy life and eachother more". Tell him that you are feeling alienated by his attitude and you want to help him but you wont feel guilty for bettering yourself. Just my two cents.
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    He sounds insecure. He should probably begin to do something like weight lifting to get his own confidence up. Also, see a therapist. Have you done anything to make him suspicious?
  • born_of_fire74
    There's no needling. I've been at this for 2.5 years now. The infrequent and gentle efforts I made to get him to weigh and log, come to crossfit or otherwise discuss food and fitness stopped within the first six months when it became totally apparent that I was getting nowhere.

I'm not interested in changing him. I tell him all the time that I love him and that I want only him. I even think we still do pretty good in the bedroom considering our ages and how long we've together.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    There is absolutely nothing that cannot be fixed without having open communication, you know a real conversation other than 'wet towel on the floor', 'forgot to take out the garbage', etc.. You two still do that don't you?
  • born_of_fire74
    He sounds insecure. He should probably begin to do something like weight lifting to get his own confidence up. Also, see a therapist. Have you done anything to make him suspicious?

I can't imagine that I have. I work basically alone. I have very few friends. I don't go out. Pretty much all I do is exercise, walk the dog and go to work. I am a very solitary person so am happiest on my own other than spending time with him.

• Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    edited August 2018
    I understand your frustration. I went through something similar for years, not exactly that, but similar. Things got miserable. Finally I just gave up and we're divorced now. (I am not saying that will happen to you, just that it is what happened in my marriage.) Something is clearly bothering him.

I hope things get better for you. If you haven't already, you might consider marital therapy. I'm not trying to be a jerk, it's just something that helps some people work through whatever is going on.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    edited August 2018
    And also "frustrating spouse" is redundant. If you have a spouse, you will have some frustration. Right?

Yes and no. Any time you're in a close relationship of any type (spouse, parent/child, even good friends) there are going to be moments of frustration. However, this situation sounds like it goes beyond those occasional conflicts that are part of normal human relationships.
  • born_of_fire74
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    There is absolutely nothing that cannot be fixed without having open communication, you know a real conversation other than 'wet towel on the floor', 'forgot to take out the garbage', etc.. You two still do that don't you?

Of course we do. He is my best friend and the smartest, most interesting person I know. We talk all the time about everything but conflict occurs in even the best, most stable relationship. Normally we talk that through without much trouble because we have great communication but this has changed just lately. Now, instead of talking things through, I get the "oh well, you're just going to leave me anyway"

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I'm having a hard time because my husband seems to think it's a forgone conclusion that I will leave him now that I've lost weight and improved my fitness despite the fact that I'm not interested in going anywhere or being with anyone else. This has become an issue lately because, when we have normal, generally trivial conflict in our relationship, he just throws his hands up and says I'm going to leave him.

Wet towel on the floor in the bathroom? Oh well, you're just going to leave me now that you're fit and hot. Stuck at work late and didn't text? Oh well, you're just going to leave me now that you're fit and hot. Forgot to take out the garbage on garbage day? Oh well, you're just going to leave me now that you're fit and hot. Left the overhead garage door open? Oh well, you're just going to leave me now that you're fit and hot. No matter what comes up between us, the answer lately is "oh well, you're just going to leave me now that you're fit and hot."

It's frustrating and tiresome to have any and all of what I say to him dismissed out of hand because I'm just going to leave him anyway. It's like he's trying to drive me away even though he assures me he's not feeling anxious about my appearance or suffering self esteem issues because he can't seem to lose weight himself.

Just to head off any suggestions that I help him lose weight, that is a no starter. He won't weigh and log his foods--I've tried to get him to, even offered to help him figure out MFP but no go. He eats healthier food than I do which seems to really bother him because he doesn't get that it doesn't matter what you eat when trying to lose weight, it only matters how much you eat. He's a volume eater and loves his veggies whereas I'm all about fats for satiety which seems to add to his bother. How dare I enjoy a burger or pizza that I've worked into my calorie allotment when everyone knows you need to eat mounds of salad and nothing else to lose weight?? He won't come to crossfit with me. I got him to come to one class and he suffered tremendously because he didn't pace himself. Now he swears "no one can do crossfit, it is impossible" even though I do it every weekday morning. He hasn't taken up some other less impossible activity either so, between eating all the food and doing none of the exercise, is it any surprise he can't lose weight?

I adore my husband and he is my best friend. We've been together over half of my life. We are getting ready to celebrate our 12th wedding anniversary and our 25th year as a couple. That said, I'm at my wits end. I do more and more things by myself and talk to him less and less each day just to avoid the risk of conflict. I'm starting to feel like I have a bitchy roommate more than I have a husband.

Thanks for letting me vent.

You need to talk to him... otherwise it's a self fulfilling prophecy
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    For me and my husband, things always improve with our relationship when we communicate with each other. If there's something that he does that hurts my feelings or makes me feel bad, it may take me a few times to remind him and explain what he's doing that hurts me, but he is my husband and loves me and wants me to be happy, so he makes an effort to stop doing those things. If you've continually explained to him how you feel and what he's doing that is frustrating and he's still doing them and makes no effort to let up, maybe you could try counseling.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    IHaveMyActTogether Posts: 945 Member
    bojack5 wrote: »
    Yeah, the problem I got out of all that was someone doing Crossfit......tell him don't worry, you will have the same insecurities when your back injuries and locked hips have you in a wheelchair and you will be saying to him, "now that I'm unable to walk you will leave me".....he will stay by your side thpugh just like you did when you were hot and he ate too much......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqb9pBJweVU
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    There's no needling. I've been at this for 2.5 years now. The infrequent and gentle efforts I made to get him to weigh and log, come to crossfit or otherwise discuss food and fitness stopped within the first six months when it became totally apparent that I was getting nowhere.

I'm not interested in changing him. I tell him all the time that I love him and that I want only him. I even think we still do pretty good in the bedroom considering our ages and how long we've together.

Maybe like another poster said that these are transitional issues you guys are having. You've made a big change and he's also having change imposed upon him through your new lifestyle. He'll probably get used to the new you in time, and more secure once he sees that you haven't left.

Best wishes to both of you. Big hugs.
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Whaaaaaaat are you talking about?

Honest and open communication:

"wow, I think you're an *kitten*."

"so what? I am's what I am's. if you don't like it, tough cookies."

Not a thing changed.

The exact same conversation, like normal people:

"I didn't like the way you handled that. You sounded rude to that person."

"Oh, I didn't mean it that way."

Not a thing changed.

People don't change because of open, honest communication. The OP has had open and honest conversation about weight loss to her husband. People change because they want to change and also have the ability to do so.

Even men will tell you that words mean little to them. They "hear" you best through action. Guys? Is that true?
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    What about counseling?