Watches for exercise

Options
Just curious as to what everyone's favourite watches are for tracking your workouts? I use the Fitbit charge 2 but it's broke and I'd like to get a new one and try something different. Any suggestions? Preferably one that tracks cardio and resistance training. What's your favourites? :)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin forerunner 225.

A HRM is no use for strength training though
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

How is the Garmin? I know my Fitbit did track weights but now it's broke. I'd really like to try something new :)

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Fenix 5X.

It counts laps in the pool, and takes it's best guess whether I'm doing deadlifts or squats or whatever based on how my arm moves. Pretty food but not perfect. It talks to the power meter on my bike (which means bike calories are never off by more than 2.5%) and tracks open water swims. I like it.
  • Samm471
    Samm471 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Fenix 5X.

It counts laps in the pool, and takes it's best guess whether I'm doing deadlifts or squats or whatever based on how my arm moves. Pretty food but not perfect. It talks to the power meter on my bike (which means bike calories are never off by more than 2.5%) and tracks open water swims. I like it.

That sounds excellent! There's so many watches out there it's hard to see what ones are good for their money or not.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Samm471 wrote: »

How is the Garmin? I know my Fitbit did track weights but now it's broke. I'd really like to try something new :)

I love it... I'm just a runner, and it's perfect.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the Garmin 935. Tracks a variety of different workouts and does daily activity tracking as well. It's basically a Fenix 5 in a polymer (instead of metal) casing.
  • furmickc
    furmickc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have a Foreruner 225, but I am primarily a runner. dcrainmaker.com has very complete watch reviews, so I would look there for ideas.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Seconding that DC Rainmaker is a great resource . . . but, having recently used the site to pick a device myself, I'd point out that he's predominantly a bike/run/swim guy, and goes into great depth on those things. Since OP mentions wanting a device for resistance training, it might be desirable to also look at reviews elsewhere for more on that dimension. (I don't have a suggestion for a specific "elsewhere", unfortunately. I looked up rowing-specific info elsewhere, but not strength training.)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Seconding that DC Rainmaker is a great resource . . . but, having recently used the site to pick a device myself, I'd point out that he's predominantly a bike/run/swim guy, and goes into great depth on those things. Since OP mentions wanting a device for resistance training, it might be desirable to also look at reviews elsewhere for more on that dimension. (I don't have a suggestion for a specific "elsewhere", unfortunately. I looked up rowing-specific info elsewhere, but not strength training.)

Actually, there are no activity trackers that are really worth a darn for strength training. The algorithms used to calculate calorie expenditure from heart rate are all based upon steady state cardio, and the further you deviate from that, the less accurate the figure is. My Garmin has a setting for strength training and will even (try to) track reps and guesstimate what exercise you were doing. I don't use that function, and I take the calorie readings for my strength workouts with a large grain of salt. Basically, I use it for my strength workouts just so they show on my activity calendar for tracking purposes.

Here's a great read from @Azdak about HRMs and their usefulness in tracking calories: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

[ETA:] And yes - I third the recommendation of DCRainmaker as a great resource. He does the most thorough, comprehensive reviews of activity trackers that you'll find anywhere.
  • Elizabeth32413
    Elizabeth32413 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use Garmin Fenix 5...absolutely love it. I’m mainly a runner and do outside activities and it’s great. As far as resistance training, not sure. But, this watch has it all. A little pricey, but darn well worth it .
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Actually, there are no activity trackers that are really worth a darn for strength training. The algorithms used to calculate calorie expenditure from heart rate are all based upon steady state cardio, and the further you deviate from that, the less accurate the figure is. My Garmin has a setting for strength training and will even (try to) track reps and guesstimate what exercise you were doing. I don't use that function, and I take the calorie readings for my strength workouts with a large grain of salt. Basically, I use it for my strength workouts just so they show on my activity calendar for tracking purposes.

Here's a great read from @Azdak about HRMs and their usefulness in tracking calories: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

[ETA:] And yes - I third the recommendation of DCRainmaker as a great resource. He does the most thorough, comprehensive reviews of activity trackers that you'll find anywhere.

I do, and it's great. It's got better at counting reps and figuring out what exercise since they released it (I think). You can use the up/down buttons on the watch to tell it how much weight you did for each set. Then you have a historical record of your performance.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about tracking fitness, and you plan on committing to it consistently, I would go with one of the higher end Garmin devices. They have advanced fitness metrics such as...

aerobic training effect
    anaerobic training effect
    recovery time
    VO2max
    training load
    lactate threshold

To name a few.

I use the fenix 5x, and I have tried just about every fitness device on the market...

Suunto
    fitbit
    Polar
    Apple Watch
    Samsung

To name a few.

Garmin is way ahead of everyone else at this point in time as far as features go.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Yes, 100%. Thank you for the clarification/correction.

Personally, I've never relied on devices for strength training calorie estimates, and should've said what you did.

Thanks. :drinker:
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have a Samsung sport and it is not accurate at all
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Fenix 5X and I really like it so far.
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Strongfitmama100412 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Im old school and love my polar f7. No bells and whistles. Just tell me how many calories i burned.
    Plus im pretty good with figuring out what i burned with time and rpe (rate of perceived exertion) ive been in the fitness industry for over 20 years.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I've had my Fenix 5x for about a year now.
    My primary use is for swimming. I love the large easy to read face. I can reread it without my classes on.
    For swimming, I careen easily change from the standard 25 yard pool at home, to the 22m pool at the gym in China.
    It is rugged and takes the abuse of lane rope and occasional scuff to the pool wall (lane get crowded with slow swimmers in China)