What are your exercise plans for the fall?

13»

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Some of you will understand this and others will have no idea.

Yesterday smoke in the air blotted out the evening sun. Last week Seattle had its worst air quality on record, and we're about to smash that record.

Rain can't come soon enough. Put the red destroyer out.

Yeah the AQI was 178 before 6am today. Needless to say, no running for me (or anyone with a modicum of sanity unless they're inside on a treadmill) today. Hood to Coast is this weekend and I worry for folks because it's just so awful outside. Hopefully it'll clear up a bit by then, but given people were training last week when the air quality as above 150...

It really needs to rain.
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Just being able to run outside again. I don't do well in heat/humidity so I am counting the days until I can head outside again and go for a run at a 'normal' time of day.
  • MagnumOpus1
    MagnumOpus1 Posts: 161 Member
    Well, I'll be bulking come that time and leading into winter. Nothing changes except I'll most definitely be hitting PR after PR.
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,901 Member
    I'm in a smoke zone too so haven't ran for the past three weeks. Fall should mean an end to the smoke and like someone else said "NO BUGS". Getting back to running in that window before it snows is on my agenda. Canoeing and kayaking in the Fall is beautiful :)
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    beautiful photo/area!

Running, running, walking and more running :P I love fall! best time of the year.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Some of you will understand this and others will have no idea.

Yesterday smoke in the air blotted out the evening sun. Last week Seattle had its worst air quality on record, and we're about to smash that record.

Rain can't come soon enough. Put the red destroyer out.

Rain forecast for this weekend for where I am. Until then it's the treadmill for me.

Likely doing a half in October, and then cut back on running and go more for lifting over the winter. I don't like running in the snow/ice/dark so it will limit how much I can run and I know I need to lift more than I'm doing now (just don't like it that much). Get back into running March-ish.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    I'm excited to run when it's not blistering hot outside. I also love hiking.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    I'll be kayaking hopefully right into late October/early November! I only kayak on my lake so not too worried about water temperatures.

4fk72qfkpicl.jpg

• JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    edited August 2018
    Year-round Florida cyclist, and the main difference for me is that in the summer I mostly alternate road and mountain biking, but after daylight savings time ends it's too dark after work to ride on the road. So in the fall & winter I mountain bike at night after work (I have lights for the purpose), and road bike on the weekend when I'm able to go out in the daylight.
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Oh that is such a beautiful photo!!! I am looking forward to fall so much!!! Right now summer is still in full swing here in FL... we won't hit the 70's during the day until probably late October/early November , and then the rain slows down a bit too... right now the woods are completely flooded, water moccasins to boot so I've been avoiding it until fall. I can't wait to get back out there hiking with my pup!!!!

Where about are you in FL? I'm in central FL, and this summer my home trails have been the wettest I've seen outside of hurricane years. Even sections that are relatively high ground have standing water.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    Year-round Florida cyclist, and the main difference for me is that in the summer I mostly alternate road and mountain biking, but after daylight savings time ends it's too dark after work to ride on the road. So in the fall & winter I mountain bike at night after work (I have lights for the purpose), and road bike on the weekend when I'm able to go out in the daylight.
    Oh that is such a beautiful photo!!! I am looking forward to fall so much!!! Right now summer is still in full swing here in FL... we won't hit the 70's during the day until probably late October/early November , and then the rain slows down a bit too... right now the woods are completely flooded, water moccasins to boot so I've been avoiding it until fall. I can't wait to get back out there hiking with my pup!!!!

Where about are you in FL? I'm in central FL, and this summer my home trails have been the wettest I've seen outside of hurricane years. Even sections that are relatively high ground have standing water.

Night riding is pretty awesome. A little creepy, but definitely awesome!
  • JetJaguar
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Night riding is pretty awesome. A little creepy, but definitely awesome!

It was creepy when I first started riding in the forest at night, but you get used to it. The worst are the banana spiders. The biggest are about the size of the palm of your hand, though most are "only" 2-3 inches across. They come out just after the sun goes down and spin their webs across the trail, then sit in the middle right at face level. They stop coming out when the temperatures drop into the low-70's, which around here usually starts in early December.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member

I'm in Central FL too! Yes I agree, the trails are insane right now!!! I have never seen so much standing water in these places before.... I really hope it drains down into the aquifer soon.. What trails do you bike on? My husband used to do a lot of mountain biking (minus the mountain lol) around here.
  • JetJaguar
    edited August 2018

I'm in Central FL too! Yes I agree, the trails are insane right now!!! I have never seen so much standing water in these places before.... I really hope it drains down into the aquifer soon.. What trails do you bike on? My husband used to do a lot of mountain biking (minus the mountain lol) around here.

My home trail is Snowhill. I actually live in one of the neighborhoods next to one of the trailheads, so I don't even have to drive there. Just hop on the bike in the garage and go. We've been getting so much rain, even my usual road bike route has a spot that's sometimes flooded.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited August 2018

My home trail is Snowhill. I actually live in one of the neighborhoods next to one of the trailheads, so I don't even have to drive there. Just hop on the bike in the garage and go. We've been getting so much rain, even my usual road bike route has a spot that's sometimes flooded.

Wow small world!!!! I've been there only a couple times, is that the trail head across from walker elementary? I went there last week and it wasn't as bad as some of the others but definetly a lot of mud! My favorite is the Flagler trail head down Geneva Dr. And the Geneva wilderness area right after , before all the rain came we were picking tons of wild black berries!! 😊I wonder if the Charles Bronson trail in chuluota is any better right now, it has a lot more sand which might be draining better.ixhlvipwqxqu.jpg
  • JetJaguar
    edited August 2018

Wow small world!!!! I've been there only a couple times, is that the trail head across from walker elementary? I went there last week and it wasn't as bad as some of the others but definetly a lot of mud! My favorite is the Flagler trail head down Geneva Dr. And the Geneva wilderness area right after , before all the rain came we were picking tons of wild black berries!! 😊I wonder if the Charles Bronson trail in chuluota is any better right now, it has a lot more sand which might be draining better.ixhlvipwqxqu.jpg

Yup, right across from the school. There's also a second bike trailhead called Jones East just up Snowhill road, too. The trails were starting to dry out this weekend, but with the storm that came through yesterday I'm sure they're flooded again. It's been like that all summer.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,997 Member
    edited August 2018
    Go on some weekly 5-10 mile hikes (w/1-2k ft elevation changes) in my local parks again before the rainy season begins.