WTH?@! body massage index

Just clicked a link on this forum, bmi calculator says I'm obese. U wouldn't have thought so, but closer look says that for 5'9" height MAX weight is 77kg... Which is about 170 lbs! At 5'9"?@! Then pretty much everybody is obese.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    jeffjeff85 wrote: »
    I may not have said that correctly. I weigh currently 213. The bmi thing said max 170, but if that's true then every MMA fighter I ever met was obese

It's known that a highly muscled person may end up on the wrong side of the BMI healthy weight range. Unfortunately that's not an issue for most people. BMI is an average over populations, and is a rough guide individuals can use along with several other measurements (like waist, hip to waist ratio, BF%, etc) to decide what their optimal weight would be.

Also 170lbs at 5'9" would be just barely overweight, not obese. For many people, getting to that upper edge of the normal range may be the right goal for them.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    And then comes the fight with insurance companies to prove the higher BMI is not obesity. Perhaps, for you, body fat percentage would be a better yard stick.
  • jeffjeff85
    jeffjeff85 Posts: 118 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    And then comes the fight with insurance companies to prove the higher BMI is not obesity. Perhaps, for you, body fat percentage would be a better yard stick.

Yup. I never watched the scales, don't care if it says 185 or 205, long as it's healthy 'honest' weight. But the insurance thing is real. Still, I really do want (and intend) to drop this 20 that ISNT good weight