WTH?@! body massage index

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    jeffjeff85 wrote: »
    Is anybody concious here? More slowly...

Today I signed up. Clicked on bmi calc link FROM HERE. That calc says that somebody 5'9" tall and weighing 170 (77kg) is OBESE. I DIDNT SAY IT, the calc said it, why I thought was surprising and the reason I commented.
    Is that clearer?

Wait! slow down Hoss, we love pronouncements! You're good <3 It's all good.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    Don’t know what link you clicked, but MFPs BMI calculator puts 5’9 170lbs as just overweight.

That was my point, that the calculator on the link must be screwy. No matter.
    I checked in to track some calories, since I never have ever done that, just eat what I like and I'm fine if not medicated and diet mandated by doctors.
    Not sure how accurate it will be, since I see grilled chicken breast is 80 calories or just over 200, (????). No idea which is right.
    But maybe this forum is much like any other forum, and I should just count my calories and go on about business.
    You look good, shadow ... Stay at it .

It's as accurate as you make it.

Your chicken breast may be 80 cals. It may be 200. It depends what it weighs.
    Double check the database entries you use for accuracy, then make sure you're weighing everything you eat to ensure you're logging the right amount.

Weighing raw/uncooked is more accurate in most cases, but use the appropriate entry for the method you choose to use.

^^This
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,230 Member
    There ya go... According to that bmi calc, Matt Hughes is obese

No - if he has a BMI of 25.1 that is very barely overweight.

I dont know who he is or what mma fighting is - but if he is a young muscular man, a BMI of up to about 27 would still be healthy - so probably not even overweight when seen in context.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Just clicked a link on this forum, bmi calculator says I'm obese. U wouldn't have thought so, but closer look says that for 5'9" height MAX weight is 77kg... Which is about 170 lbs! At 5'9"?@! Then pretty much everybody is obese.

Have you not heard? The BMI is for huge populations. Rock that muscular you!

Next time you're at a public beach or pool look around. Notice the % of heavily muscled people who vs obviously fat and report back. If you're honest you will say there are few heavily muscled people there
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited August 2018
    Can you hear me in the back?@!

My waist size is unacceptable,hence the calorie count.
    What has that to do with a "calculator" that says a 5'9" 170 lb guy is obese? That's ridiculous, but then so is the idea that I replied AGAIN!

For about the hundredth time - "Overweight", not "Obese". And at a BMI of 25.1, barely into the "Overweight" category (which begins at BMI 25.0). The classification of "Obese" begins at BMI 30.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,753 Member
    I may not have said that correctly. I weigh currently 213. The bmi thing said max 170, but if that's true then every MMA fighter I ever met was obese

It is not uncommon for athletes to be outliers. Athletes typically have more muscle mass than the average person. That said it doesn’t make the BMI range wrong for the average person. It just means athletes should also look to BF%.

Actually, it's most common for athletes not to be exceptions, even though they do have more muscle mass than the average person. For example, most Olympic champions fall in the normal BMI range. The BMI ranges will encompass a surprising lot of physical variation.

Do more actually healthy weight high-level athletes fall into a higher-than-normal BMI category than among non-athletes? Sure. But it's not the commonest case. Are some recreational athletes or people with physically intense occupations so muscular that they have overweight BMI when not over-fat? Sure. But not very doggone many. Normal people using "but athletes" as part of their justification of being at an overweight BMI are mostly showing their cognitive bias.

https://www.runnersworld.com/races-places/a20811275/bmis-of-champions-mens-edition/
    https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a20793992/bmis-of-champions-womens-edition/

As a generality, sports that require strength but not speed/mobility have more participants in the obese category, and to the extent that their sport doesn't penalize fatness via performance, some of those are actually observably over-fat (look at the weight lifters, for example: Not all are fat, but some are).

Sports requiring strength, but also requiring speed/mobility, and in which hitting/shoving/pinning others is part of the sport (so pure size is useful), or those in which weight is supported (swimming/kayaking/etc.) tend to have more champions in the overweight category, but not the obese category. (This is consistent with the data for some top MMA guys earlier in the thread, BTW).

Lots of sports have champions in the normal weight category, and a few are even underweight.

The female athletes overall skew lower, as one might expect since the BMI ranges are unisex.

We do see some high-profile professional athletes in the US (football, baseball come to mind) who combine being very muscular with being kinda fat. I'm sure their BMI puts some of those guys in the obese category, but we'd have to have BF% and do the arithmetic to estimate whether they'd be obese, overweight, or normal BMI with a healthier BF%. PEDs (at some point in life) likely make some of these guys more muscular than could be achieved naturally, too.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,753 Member
    I may not have said that correctly. I weigh currently 213. The bmi thing said max 170, but if that's true then every MMA fighter I ever met was obese

It is not uncommon for athletes to be outliers. Athletes typically have more muscle mass than the average person. That said it doesn’t make the BMI range wrong for the average person. It just means athletes should also look to BF%.

Actually, it's most common for athletes not to be exceptions, even though they do have more muscle mass than the average person. For example, most Olympic champions fall in the normal BMI range. The BMI ranges will encompass a surprising lot of physical variation.

Do more actually healthy weight high-level athletes fall into a higher-than-normal BMI category than among non-athletes? Sure. But it's not the commonest case. Are some recreational athletes or people with physically intense occupations so muscular that they have overweight BMI when not over-fat? Sure. But not very doggone many. Normal people using "but athletes" as part of their justification of being at an overweight BMI are mostly showing their cognitive bias.

https://www.runnersworld.com/races-places/a20811275/bmis-of-champions-mens-edition/
    https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a20793992/bmis-of-champions-womens-edition/

As a generality, sports that require strength but not speed/mobility have more participants in the obese category, and to the extent that their sport doesn't penalize fatness via performance, some of those are actually observably over-fat (look at the weight lifters, for example: Not all are fat, but some are).

Sports requiring strength, but also requiring speed/mobility, and in which hitting/shoving/pinning others is part of the sport (so pure size is useful), or those in which weight is supported (swimming/kayaking/etc.) tend to have more champions in the overweight category, but not the obese category. (This is consistent with the data for some top MMA guys earlier in the thread, BTW).

Lots of sports have champions in the normal weight category, and a few are even underweight.

The female athletes overall skew lower, as one might expect since the BMI ranges are unisex.

We do see some high-profile professional athletes in the US (football, baseball come to mind) who combine being very muscular with being kinda fat. I'm sure their BMI puts some of those guys in the obese category, but we'd have to have BF% and do the arithmetic to estimate whether they'd be obese, overweight, or normal BMI with a healthier BF%. PEDs (at some point in life) likely make some of these guys more muscular than could be achieved naturally, too.