Runners Forum

Options

Replies

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    1.What motivates you to run?
    I'm high risk for type 2 diabetes. I don't want it. Also, it's fun. I love race day energy and seeing what I can push my body to do.

2. How often do you run and how far?
    4 days a week - 5 to 8 km on TWTh and long run of 10+ on Saturday. But I'm starting with a trainer in September and she has me doing speed work and/or hills on Wednesdays starting next week.

3.Do you also incorporate strength training? If so, how often?
    Not right now.

4. Do you attribute your weight loss or maintenance success to running?
    Half marathon training made me gain weight due to increased appetite. However, I'm pressure I gained less than I would have if I wasn't a runner!
  • MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Any advise for a newbie would be great! Thanks guys.

Go slow and have fun!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the runner's high. I also have a group of friends who run, so its a part of my social life.
    It depends. Very typical for me to run 15-25mpw, double that when I trained for a marathon.
    I strength train 2x's per week in my off season. I swim and ride a bike in addition to running.
    I eat quite a bit to fuel my training, so I usually eat to maintain my weight. I try to eat for weight loss during my 4-6 week training break in the winter.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Sleep! The only time in my life when I could sleep without sleeping pills was when I trained for a half marathon 4 years ago. I've been having trouble sleeping ever since so I'm training for another half now.

3 days per week. I'm on week 7 of 16 in my half marathon training so this week my runs are 3.5 miles, 4 miles, and 6 miles.

Not really. I do a workout at home with dumbbells or mini bands when I think of it but nothing consistent. I mostly walk and do yoga on non-running days.

I wish! Runger is a beast for me. I'm trying to lose 15-20lbs and in 6 weeks I've only lost 2-3 lbs. This week I have started getting serious about weighing all my food and making better food choices to help with the hunger.
  • pattyhouse1970
    pattyhouse1970 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

I use running to keep my weight off. And I like it.
    Training for a marathon. Running 4 days/week. 4-5 twice a week, higher the 3rd day and goodness
    sakes alive on Saturday. Running 16 this Saturday.
    I do strength training 4 days/week. Legs on Monday, Upper Body on Tuesday, Abs on Wednesday and
    what my trainer calls Functional Training on Thursday (cardio, legs, upper and abs)
    Both running and strength. Probably more the running, but the strength keeps my muscle.
  • pattyhouse1970
    pattyhouse1970 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

About the overeating thing, I was the same way up until this week, I decided I would start logging my food calories again and get serious about losing weight. Thanks for sharing because it makes me feel less guilty about the last couple of weeks! I noticed I crave meat/protein more when training.

Make sure you eat enough protein so the running burns your fat and not muscle. I go to a nutrition store in town. They have an inbody370 machine..inbody something...that tracks that for me. I go every 2 weeks or so. Protein in very important.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I am new to running. I am not a runner and I have never been one. I downloaded an App called C25k. It is a great program to get you out there and start running. I do strenght training three days a week and run those three days as well. Any advise for a newbie would be great! Thanks guys.

When I first started running again that is the app I used too :)
  • kdahlin406
    kdahlin406 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I wanted to create a space for runners to add each other and discuss. Here are some questions to think about :)

I’ll begin!

1. I have to get my energy out, clear my mind and relieve stress... otherwise I'm too high strong for people.

2. I have been running consistently 3-4 times per week for a few months now, I'll run at least a mile at full speed (and its getting faster every day!) And will run a 5k once or twice a week.

I've been incorporating yoga and rock climbing into my running ....but definitely want to integrate strength training (although I find that side of the gym intimidating)

4. Yes, as it is the fastest way for me to get my heart rate up!

• mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I've been a runner since the mid-70s. For many years, I was in great shape and ran 5-8 miles about 5 days a week. Didn't need to lose weight at that time. I took up running to combat depression; it really helped. Fast forward to my late 30s and a difficult, high risk pregnancy--and a nearly 100 lb weight gain. The combination triggered another round of depression that lasted quite a while and wasn't resolved well for a couple of years. I haven't cared about my weight and kept running most of the time--a lot slower and a lot fewer miles. Now I'm back to 4 miles 3x a week. Lost 12 lbs in 12 weeks with better eating, and have stalled since returning home from summer vacation--no gains, no losses. So running for me is more about my mental health and sheer joy in my strength and endurance, not about weight loss. I will continue to work on my eating habits and hope to continue to lose b/c I can't see being very successful at 80 years old and still significantly overweight and running--and my goal is to run until I die trying :) I'm a trail runner mostly although my trails are all flooded out and don't seem to be returning to normal anytime soon. I've never signed up for a single "run" event and never will. Running is about me and Mother Nature.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    1. I started running because I wanted to prove to myself that I wasn’t a hopeless waste of space and I could achieve something. Running a 5k was something I felt I could achieve with nothing but determination, I didn’t care if I came last I just needed to finish. I did finish. I didn’t come last. I reminded myself I was capable and in the process I realized I loved the conquer the world feeling that running gives you.

2. I try to run 3 days a week, I’m trying to build up to s 10K but just doing about 5 most runs.

3. I never do strength training

4. I don’t find running helps me lose weight at all!

This is why I run too! I relate so much to this post! Seriously you just described why I run and why I love it. Being able to carry that feeling of “I am capable” into other aspects of my life is really necessary to me. Also it doesn’t help me lose weight either lol.
  • RickInHouston
    RickInHouston Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've jogged for years. I'm not a runner, but I do it.

I have a really bad knee that doesn't like going down stairs. It has kept me from running in the past.

I now do intervals. I use a Garmin Vivoactive Music 3 and have set up run workouts. I started easy - run .12 / walk .10 - and set the repeat on about 30. This way I can go out and walk as far or as short a distance I want, feel or have time for. Then I make another workout - run .16 / walk .10, then run .25 / walk .12, and also a ramp up of short distances to longer distances.

Intervals keep my knee from stopping me from running, keeps me motivated and let's me enjoy my surroundings while outside. What's also nice is as you lose weight you realize how much easier it is to run the farther intervals you have created on your fitness watch.

This is a great way to get back to jogging, those that have a lot of weight to lose and older folks like myself.
  • trustinwhatworks
    trustinwhatworks Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Running keeps me in check with my diet and adds volume to my day. Running has also been a form of recovery I've been using against my depression and anxiety.

I try to run 6 times per week, often twice in a day.

Not right now.

I went from 145 to 128 (5'6)
  • sheltondq
    sheltondq Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi! I wanted to create a space for runners to add each other and discuss. Here are some questions to think about :)

I’ll begin!

I signed up to run a half marathon in college and didn’t train much if at all. I had never been a runner... it took 3:09:14 now I am working to become a runner.

I am now trianing for a half marathon to see how well I can do if I actually train. I would like to one day be able to call myself a runner. I also feel more accomplished if I run in the mornings.
    I run 3 miles TWTh. And the long run on Sat. So far I am on the 6th week of my novice 2 half marathon training plan. I can run 4 miles without stopping🙂. I’m actually a little faster if I take walk breaks every mile or so.
    I’ve been running since about May.
    I would like to but I do not know where to start.
    I have lost ~ 10 pounds since starting. I can also see some definition to my quads now. I feel like it’s more maintenance for me though because my diet hasn’t changed much. I do know that I don’t like how fried foods and soda make me feel when I work out.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options

I’ll begin!

1. At first, a self challenge. To see if I could. Now, I enjoy it. It's my meditation and I find it fun.
    2. 5-6 days a week. Ranges from 2-5 miles depending on how I feel. No set distance.
    3. Yes. 3 days a week. I always take a true rest day from both running and lifting every week.
    4. No. I lost weight and maintained because of what I ate. Running: nothing tastes as good as a post run (post workout) meal, so I eat back all (and sometimes more) my exercise calories.
  • CatherineLaurel
    CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    sheltondq wrote: »

I’ll begin!

I signed up to run a half marathon in college and didn’t train much if at all. I had never been a runner... it took 3:09:14 now I am working to become a runner.

I am now trianing for a half marathon to see how well I can do if I actually train. I would like to one day be able to call myself a runner. I also feel more accomplished if I run in the mornings.
    I run 3 miles TWTh. And the long run on Sat. So far I am on the 6th week of my novice 2 half marathon training plan. I can run 4 miles without stopping🙂. I’m actually a little faster if I take walk breaks every mile or so.
    I’ve been running since about May.
    I would like to but I do not know where to start.
    I have lost ~ 10 pounds since starting. I can also see some definition to my quads now. I feel like it’s more maintenance for me though because my diet hasn’t changed much. I do know that I don’t like how fried foods and soda make me feel when I work out.

Thanks for sharing!!! A strength app is truly life changing for Building the confidence to get out in the weight floor. I hear Nike has a strength app that’s free that was voted best in its class. I swear by an app called FitBod. They have GIFS and step by step instructions of every move and you can cutsomize. It costs money, though. Worth every penny!
  • CatherineLaurel
    CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    semperfly wrote: »
    I run because I can! Since March I am down nearly 50 lbs. Still at 260 lbs running on the pavement hurts my shins and feet. So mostly I am trail running. It also allows me to scout a little bit for my upcoming deer and turkey hunting season. I work 6 days a week so I get out and run when I can.
    I want so badly to be able to run a 5k at the end of this month. It's the breast cancer awareness 5k. Last July my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer and we did the 1 mile walk, first week in October, at 318 lbs I barely made the walk.
    My wife having a double mastectomy, chemo, radiation and now the herception treatments is my inspiration to get healthy.
    My goal is 205 lbs. My weight the day I left the Marine Corps.

You’re doing great! What an accomplishment you have achieved already and what a supportive husband you are! I hope you achieve all of your goals! They are wonderful in that they are for your health and to support your lady. I wish you both the very best and am sending thoughts of longevity and good health to your family!

• fraukazi
    fraukazi Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Oh, love reading all these posts!

First it was weight loss, after I had gained after some time abroad. Been running on and off since 2003, with a few years off in between. Since 2012, I've been more consitent, but also had to stop a few times due to injuries. Started again this year in April with C25K and now just finished week 6 of a 5-10k programme.
    Now , I enjoy the "me time", being outside, seeing the sun rise and the little wild life we have or changes to the neighbourhood. As many others have said, I also find it helps my mental wellbeing.

1-3 times a week, 20-50minutes. I used to do 2x 5-8km and one 10-12km run per week.
    I'm more of a jogger than a runner as I'm quite slow. Somethin I tried to work on last year, but realised I don't enjoy training in a too structured way. I also really don't like races, but I'm considering a 10k this autumn... We'll see if I actually sign up for one.

Sometimes I have phases of doing bodyweight exercises at home and yoga. Recently started boxing classes again as well as yoga classes. But the boxing interferes with running as I'm still getting very sore from it and then need an extra rest day.

It helps with having some extra cals now, but a couple if years, I was running more (longer&more regularly), but wasn't counting calories and I must have eaten double what I ran off...
  • skrunningmom
    skrunningmom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love it. It's my stress relief, weight control, and even social life when I train for races and relay type races. It has become a part of my identity that I embrace and have been running for about 18 years now since my first race.

It depends. If I'm training for longer race like a marathon or trail race then 5-6 times a week but usually 5 to allow for recovery. I just ran a full marathon last Sunday so I was running about 65-80 km a week. I haven't decided what I'm going to do next but will likely maintain about 40 km-50km a week or so.

Again, it depends on my running training but I like to do a weight training class at the gym about 2 times a week. In the winter, I sometimes do it 3 times a week and less running. I haven't been to class in about 3 weeks because of the marathon but am looking forward to strengthening up my arms again!

Yes, but I find that I still eat too much when I am training. I just started food tracking again now after the marathon to lose a bit of weight. I am down about 3 pounds so far and want to lose about 5 more ideally. My ultimate goal would be to lose about 10 pounds from where I am now so I can run faster and get a marathon PB next year. I am at a healthy weight but would like to be a bit lighter so I can perform even better in races.