Runners Forum

CatherineLaurel
CatherineLaurel Posts: 197 Member
edited August 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi! I wanted to create a space for runners to add each other and discuss. Here are some questions to think about :)

1.What motivates you to run?
2. How often do you run and how far?
3.Do you also incorporate strength training? If so, how often?
4. Do you attribute your weight loss or maintenance success to running?

I’ll begin!

Replies

• CatherineLaurel
    1. I run to get out my abundance of energy, listen to my edm music, and to try to lose weight so I can eat more of what I want. I am not good at careful dieting.
    2. I run a 5k most days a week, mainly on the treadmill.
    3. I follow the Fitbod app for an hour of strength training 4 days a week.
    4. I am newer and ditched my scale so I am not sure if I’ve lost weight yet.

Your turn! Feel free to talk about whatever running topics you want :)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    1. I've been running for 7 years, minus several months in the first two years when I was injured. I run because it helps with my depression and it gives me goals I can work toward. I need achievable goals. I usually do one marathon a year and a couple of other races.
    2. When I'm not training, I run 30-40 mpw. When MRT, I'll run up to 55 or so.
    3. No real weight training. I do some yoga and have light hand weights, but I've got shoulder issues so I'm limited in what I can do.
    4. Running as much as I do allows me to eat pretty much whatever I want. I lost most of my weight (50 lbs) before becoming a runner, but consistent running allows me to keep the weight off.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    There are a few running forums, including this one:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/94-long-distance-runners
  • CatherineLaurel
    1. I've been running for 7 years, minus several months in the first two years when I was injured. I run because it helps with my depression and it gives me goals I can work toward. I need achievable goals. I usually do one marathon a year and a couple of other races.
    2. When I'm not training, I run 30-40 mpw. When MRT, I'll run up to 55 or so.
    3. No real weight training. I do some yoga and have light hand weights, but I've got shoulder issues so I'm limited in what I can do.
    4. Running as much as I do allows me to eat pretty much whatever I want. I lost most of my weight (50 lbs) before becoming a runner, but consistent running allows me to keep the weight off.

I also need achievable goals! Running is great for keeping yourself accountable. Glad to hear about the changes you feel in your body....to me, that is much more important than the number on the scale! Thanks for sharing :)

30-40 mpw WOW!!! GOALS!!!
  • CatherineLaurel
    There are a few running forums, including this one:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/94-long-distance-runners

Thank you so much for sharing! I will check it out!
  • CatherineLaurel
    aacst13 wrote: »
    Hi, I’m new to running just so you know.

1. I started running because I wanted to try the Zombies, Run! App. I love it. It’s got a story line and characters that you care about. It also rewards you as you go with “supplies” that you use to build up your base. Since i started running, I also noticed that I have more energy and I have been sleeping better.
    2. I run as many times a week that I can, but that varies. I usually go out for about and hour and switch between walking for a few minutes and running for a few minutes.
    3. I use resistance bands. Nothing too exciting.
    4. Probably. I just started weighing myself yesterday and I weighed less than i thought I did. I’ve also noticed slight changes in my body and my leg muscles feel tighter.

I am also new to running. I have been doing it on and off for years but I just got serious about being consistent about 6 weeks ago. I also switch between running and walking during my running, I was wondering if others did this, too!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Hi! I wanted to create a space for runners to add each other and discuss. Here are some questions to think about :)

I’ll begin!
    1. It's better than working through my lunch break.
    2. 3ish times per week, distance varies.
    3. Not currently
    4. No, just the opposite. I'm more apt to overeat the more active I am.
  • MeteoraTitanium
    MeteoraTitanium Posts: 102 Member
    I like running because I can just switch off and listen to my music and it's very mood lifting.
    I have mild asthma which has improved since running.
    I do gym workouts during the week and run weekends. My bmi is 19 so I don't worry about weight and eat healthy most of the time.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    1.What motivates you to run? Beer. Chocolate. well initially that was it but in the last few weeks i've hit the "need to run becuase I need to run" mind frame...it's pretty bizarre.

2. How often do you run and how far? 5x a week usually. 4 5k's and one long run. will be mixing this up after my "big" race to be more even.

3.Do you also incorporate strength training? If so, how often? I should, I randomly do some at home when I think of it but need a better plan.

4. Do you attribute your weight loss or maintenance success to running? neither. I gained 25-30 pounds WHILE STILL RUNNING 5x a week! I am still struggling with adding the exercise calories to my diet but have started (especially with these long run days...)
  • CatherineLaurel
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

I’ll begin!
    1. It's better than working through my lunch break.
    2. 3ish times per week, distance varies.
    3. Not currently
    4. No, just the opposite. I'm more apt to overeat the more active I am.

About the overeating thing, I was the same way up until this week, I decided I would start logging my food calories again and get serious about losing weight. Thanks for sharing because it makes me feel less guilty about the last couple of weeks! I noticed I crave meat/protein more when training.
  • CatherineLaurel
    Panini911 wrote: »
    1.What motivates you to run? Beer. Chocolate. well initially that was it but in the last few weeks i've hit the "need to run becuase I need to run" mind frame...it's pretty bizarre.

2. How often do you run and how far? 5x a week usually. 4 5k's and one long run. will be mixing this up after my "big" race to be more even.

3.Do you also incorporate strength training? If so, how often? I should, I randomly do some at home when I think of it but need a better plan.

4. Do you attribute your weight loss or maintenance success to running? neither. I gained 25-30 pounds WHILE STILL RUNNING 5x a week! I am still struggling with adding the exercise calories to my diet but have started (especially with these long run days...)

Fitbod is a great app if you are interested in learning consistent strength training! I used to avoid the weight section of the gym like it was the plague! haha
  • CatherineLaurel
    I like running because I can just switch off and listen to my music and it's very mood lifting.
    I have mild asthma which has improved since running.
    I do gym workouts during the week and run weekends. My bmi is 19 so I don't worry about weight and eat healthy most of the time.

yes yes yes. Music is everything.
  • MsArriabella
    MsArriabella Posts: 469 Member
    I've been running about a year now. I finished my first marathon in June and am looking to do my second in January.

1. When I'm running everything else has to wait, I don't know if it's relaxing or empowering or what but I love knowing that for this part of the day nothing else needs my attention.
    2. I run 3.5 miles 2-3 times/week and about 5 on Sunday mornings. This will increase as the marathon training ramps up and it cools off. I'm planning to follow the Hal Higdon Novice 2 plan.
    3. StrongLifts 5x5 2-3 times/week
    4. Totally, when I run I feel more confident and am less likely to stress eat. Also it gives me more calories to work with which is key because I feel deprived on less then 1500 cal/day.
  • runnergirl089
    runnergirl089 Posts: 27 Member
    I've been running for about 10 years.

1. To stay fit honestly.
    2. I run 4 times/week. The distance varies depending on what I'm training for. I've done a couple of marathons and halfs but I've been doing 10 milers the last couple of years. Currently training for the Army 10 miler and at 9 miles for my long run
    3. I incorporate 2 full body strength workouts every week. When I'm training for a race I'm just maintaining but in between I try to increase my strength.
    4. Weight loss is really like 80% what you eat. However, I do shed weight faster when I'm distance running.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    However, I do shed weight faster when I'm distance running.

Long distances (over 10 miles) make me super rungry, training never helps me lose weight! But I still love it! :laugh:
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member

1. Running is how I clear my head. There’s a lot of junk up there most of the time and droning away running for an hour or two does absolute wonders for keeping that in check.
    2. I usually run 30-ish miles/week (5 days a week). Right now I’m in the final weeks of marathon training so I’m running about 50 miles/week (5 days/week).
    3. I do generally incorporate strength training and cross training. Right now, I’m fresh out of hours in the day after running what’s on the marathon training plan so it’s all running all the time.
    4. Sort of. I’m short, small, middle aged and very sedentary (aside from purposeful exercise). My calorie goal is (correctly) very small. My appetite is very large. Running regularly allows me to eat as much as 1600-1700 calories/day and still lose. That’s about as low as I can manage long term. However, the runger is real. There’s a tipping point where the hunger from long runs far exceeds whatever calories I’m burning and it’s more difficult to stay at maintenance (much less a deficit). So yes-running a regular amount (about 30-ish miles/week for me) makes it possible for me to adhere to a calorie deficit (and still be satisfied with the amount and types of foods I’m eating). Running a lot more than that (like right now) has the opposite effect.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member

I’ll begin!

1. I like the feeling of being in excellent cardiovascular shape. It also gives a little "flex" in my calories.
    2. I run usually 4-5 times per week and currently the runs are anywhere from 4-6 miles but I will soon ramp it up more if I find a race I want to run.
    3. I have a kettlebell routine I do 2-3 times per week. It involves front squats, swings, one arm pushups, pullups and kettlebell getups. Sometimes I run after that. Gives a full body workout to aid in maintaining muscle.
    4. It definitely helps. I like being in cardio shape and that helps me with motivation to maintain my nutrition.
  • CatherineLaurel
    2. I usually run 30-ish miles/week (5 days a week). Right now I’m in the final weeks of marathon training so I’m running about 50 miles/week (5 days/week).
    3. I do generally incorporate strength training and cross training. Right now, I’m fresh out of hours in the day after running what’s on the marathon training plan so it’s all running all the time.

Wow! Congrats on being toward the end of your marathon training! I hope you do well in the race!

• CatherineLaurel
    edited August 2018

2. I run usually 4-5 times per week and currently the runs are anywhere from 4-6 miles but I will soon ramp it up more if I find a race I want to run.
    3. I have a kettlebell routine I do 2-3 times per week. It involves front squats, swings, one arm pushups, pullups and kettlebell getups. Sometimes I run after that. Gives a full body workout to aid in maintaining muscle.
    4. It definitely helps. I like being in cardio shape and that helps me with motivation to maintain my nutrition.

I am currently running 3.2 miles most days but perhaps I will work my way up to 4 sooner rather than later!~