Anti-Inflammatory Diet for Rheumatoid Arthritis?

Options

Replies

• Speckle38
    Speckle38 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    My brother has psoriatic arthritis, and although he was vegetarian for years, it has improved since he started eating meat. He is very fussy about meat quality - he doesn’t really enjoy it, which is why he was vegetarian in the first place, so he still eats a predominantly plant-based diet.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    https://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/arthritis-diet/anti-inflammatory/rheumatoid-arthritis-diet.php

The diet that the Arthritis Foundation recommends is the Mediterranean Diet. That's backed by research.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    https://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/arthritis-diet/anti-inflammatory/rheumatoid-arthritis-diet.php

The diet that the Arthritis Foundation recommends is the Mediterranean Diet. That's backed by research.

it says a well balanced diet "The best approach to food for people with RA – or anyone else – is a well-balanced diet which, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, should be centered on plant-based foods. Approximately two-thirds of your diet should come from fruits, vegetables and whole grains. The other third should include low-fat dairy products and lean sources of protein."

but then says this " One way to achieve this is to consider adopting a Mediterranean diet, which includes plenty of omega-3 fatty acids, fruits, vegetables and whole grains, the benefits of olive oil – even a glass of red wine if your doctor allows."
    but they are saying that is ONE way to acheive things, and for some it may not be the way to go. I have RA but I have a health issue where I have to eat low fat so even healthy fats I cant consume a lot of. If I eat too much fat for me it makes my RA worse. while this may work for the majority,it wont for everyone of course.and for many foods that are supposed to be foods that cause inflammation may not cause inflammation

• MikePfirrman
    Options

it says a well balanced diet "The best approach to food for people with RA – or anyone else – is a well-balanced diet which, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, should be centered on plant-based foods. Approximately two-thirds of your diet should come from fruits, vegetables and whole grains. The other third should include low-fat dairy products and lean sources of protein."

but then says this " One way to achieve this is to consider adopting a Mediterranean diet, which includes plenty of omega-3 fatty acids, fruits, vegetables and whole grains, the benefits of olive oil – even a glass of red wine if your doctor allows."
    but they are saying that is ONE way to acheive things, and for some it may not be the way to go. I have RA but I have a health issue where I have to eat low fat so even healthy fats I cant consume a lot of. If I eat too much fat for me it makes my RA worse. while this may work for the majority,it wont for everyone of course.and for many foods that are supposed to be foods that cause inflammation may not cause inflammation

You are right, I should have said WFPB, because no matter how you slice it, the vast preponderance of the evidence is that's the common theme. Some people's definition of WFPB is different than others but most define it as most of your volume/calories coming from vegetables. I tend to equate the Med Diet with WFPB, but it's slightly different as you pointed out.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I've had problems on and off with gout over the past 30 years. I read about tart cherry juice for reducing the symptoms of gout. I've been taking two caps of tart cherry extract every morning (about 800mg) - since I started doing so, I haven't had any major attacks and whatever pain I've had has been minor. My doctor was skeptical that there was any connection with the cherry juice, and I have no proof that the lessened symptoms aren't due to some other change in my diet, but I figure it can't hurt even if it's only a placebo effect involved.

http://blog.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/arthritis-diet-cherries
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options

Link to research, please. There isn't one in the article.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    I've had problems on and off with gout over the past 30 years. I read about tart cherry juice for reducing the symptoms of gout. I've been taking two caps of tart cherry extract every morning (about 800mg) - since I started doing so, I haven't had any major attacks and whatever pain I've had has been minor. My doctor was skeptical that there was any connection with the cherry juice, and I have no proof that the lessened symptoms aren't due to some other change in my diet, but I figure it can't hurt even if it's only a placebo effect involved.

http://blog.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/arthritis-diet-cherries

with gout avoiding foods high in purines that cause flare ups and cause the uric acid in your blood to build up. hubby gets gout from too much pork but if he eats small amounts or avoids it altogether there is no issues or inflammation
  • MikePfirrman
    Options

The hyplinks (highlighted words) in the article link to articles with citations.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...Some people claim that they have come off their medication by radically changing their diets but it sounds so difficult to eliminate such a large group of foods...

If it changes your life for the better, then it's a very small price to pay. My life completely turned around. I spent years being physically ill (and constantly anxious because of it) every single day. It got progressively worse with time. (I didn't have RA, but an inflammatory condition affecting my digestive system.)

It's been several years since I eliminated a certain food that triggers my auto-immune misery, and I haven't had a sick day since, blood tests show my inflammatory markers are normal, etc. I'm super grateful and it's such a relief that I don't even miss the offending food. Not even tempted...

Try it. It might not work for you. But...If it does work, it's so worth it... <3
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Kelly, Make an appointment with a dietitian if you can. Our dietitian is helping my husband with psoriatic arthritis (similar to rheumatoid) and prediabetes. She said to avoid all white foods--sugar, white flour, white potatoes, white rice. She said to eat whole grains instead. She said the foods that are allowed on the South Beach Diet are pretty much what to eat on an anti-inflammatory diet.
  • njitaliana
    Options
    PS, She said there is no proof that nightshades cause inflammation. But, there is proof that white foods cause inflammation. (Note: cauliflower is not a white food; it's only white starches and sugar that are bad)
  • njitaliana
    Options
    PS, She said gluten free isn't good for autoimmune disorders because most gluten free foods are made from white flour. She said the only way gluten free would be good is if you stick to only whole grain gluten free foods, but she said it's not necessary, not is gluten free proven to help.
  • CarvedTones
    Options

The hyplinks (highlighted words) in the article link to articles with citations.

I followed those. They link to definitions or articles about what they define. The closest thing is one article on fiber that says it may help and it points to a study where CRP was better in patients with a high fiber diet. That article used the words "may help" as the link was a little weak. I wish there was a magic diet for inflammation.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    PS, She said there is no proof that nightshades cause inflammation. But, there is proof that white foods cause inflammation. (Note: cauliflower is not a white food; it's only white starches and sugar that are bad)

if there is proof and they cause inflammation then why doesnt it cause inflammation in everyone who has RA or another issue with inflammation? it doesnt cause me any inflammation and Im sure there are others here who have no issues with those things either. even allergies can cause inflammation in the body which is why meds with leukotrienes are given to combat that https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16835707,but for me they cause me more issues that they help. it makes my asthma and allergies worse when I take it.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options

I followed those. They link to definitions or articles about what they define. The closest thing is one article on fiber that says it may help and it points to a study where CRP was better in patients with a high fiber diet. That article used the words "may help" as the link was a little weak. I wish there was a magic diet for inflammation.

There is no magic bullet. You're right. But I was referring to specifically RA, which is one of the hardest to treat forms of Arthritis. Diet can help, not cure.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5682732/
  • aaronts221
    aaronts221 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body reacts different, from medication to food. What may work for one person wont necessarily work for another. My gf has similar issues, going through an elimination diet has really helped her. She primarily sticks to meat, rice, and certain vegetables, also depends on how the vegetables are prepared.
  • CarvedTones
    Options

There is no magic bullet. You're right. But I was referring to specifically RA, which is one of the hardest to treat forms of Arthritis. Diet can help, not cure.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5682732/

That may be right, but that is one of the oddest scientific papers I have seen. It references a bunch of studies and for nearly every one of them says "significant change" but doesn't say how much. Is significant 30%? 10%? 2%? There is no indication. They reference several different diets that all seemed to do something to help and then make a recommendation that isn't specifically any single diet from the list. Very odd. My sister has RA and has been down this path and a lot of others.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Do you mean whole foo
    mscjmason wrote: »
    My doctor suggested vegetarian, the arthritis research site suggested the same but it's only been a week, still in alot of pain currently

Please google Nutritarian and Dr Greger. Vegetarian and vegan diets/lifestyles are only healthy if they are plant based.

Do you mean whole food based rather than plant based?
  • MADgical72
    MADgical72 Posts: 81 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I have osteoarthritis and take turmeric supplements, with the guidance of my general physician. I have found that it has really helped with the pain.