Running differences

Options
I have never been a runner, but in an effort to lose weight, I have attempted to run a bit. At the gym, I have made it up to running two miles without stopping. Well, I thought I would take my game outside, running around my 1/2-mile block last night. Man, what a difference. I was huffing after just that short distance. Not sure if it was the asphalt or the warmer more humid weather outside. A good test, though. Look forward to building endurance outside.

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Running on land is always more demanding than on a treadmill.
  • hjsportsed1
    hjsportsed1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

I would love to work up to a 5K. Lots of work to do to make it to that point.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I hate running but do it since it's such a good burn and because it's something to do outside. I usually run around the neighbourhood. Well yesterday I went to the local highschool and ran around the track. Holy smokes that was way easier. amazing what a flat surface can do. I recommend running on a track if you have one nearby
  • runnergirl089
    runnergirl089 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It takes more effort to run in warmer temperatures. My pace is slower the warmer it is to keep my heart rate where I want it.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Another reason is that on a treadmill you're going a set pace. Outside it's not a set pace and I'd bet you were going faster than on the treadmill. That happens to me. Outside it's harder to control my pace and it's very easy for me to overdo it.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck inside with the smoke in my area, but I find it harder on the treadmill for some reason. Had my best 5km time on the treadmill last night (28:20). It is supposed to clear up by this weekend so I'll see what my Saturday parkrun looks like.

Second the recommendation of C25K. If you can run already, start at week 3 or 4, but a great way to get to 5k.

Just make sure you have shoes appropriate to your gait.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    treadmill is flat. if you want to prepare for outside running (other than just going out to run!) start putting a small incline on the run. best to go slow and start with .5% incline for half your run. then work slowly to 1% incline.

I find the treadmill also gives you a bounce...momentum forward you don't get on pavement :P

I run much faster on a treadmill in general but signifianctly more if I don't put at least 1% incline.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

I would love to work up to a 5K. Lots of work to do to make it to that point.

You can work up to it. I have bad knees, bad back, etc. and managed it. I never used the C25K app, although I did purchase it. I simply started my journey walking, so I would intervals of running then walking. Increased running a bit at a time until I could do a mile, then a mile and a half, then 2, etc. A 5k is still at my upper limit and this is my 2nd year running but it feels good to get it done.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Isn't it the truth! I personally love my treadmill, I know a lot of people hate it but I am in Canada and it is freezing half the year, and humid for much of the unfrozen months. I used to beat myself up and tell myself that I wasn't *really* running because it was so much easier than running outside - but I figure it is still better than sitting on the couch!
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I find running on trails the easiest for me, thought I know it's usually harder for most people, I think it's the scenery that does it for me, I forget about the pounding.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I think that running on a treadmill and running outside are basically different activities. They seem to make very different demands on the body and lots of people who can do one will struggle with the other. I've run multiple half marathons outside and can barely make it a mile on a treadmill.

I'd strongly encourage taking your runs outside with C25K. If you want to run a 5K, then you need to train on the type of surface you plan to race on. C25K should be a reasonable plan for you given your current fitness level. If you can, run early in the morning when it's not so hot or humid. If you sweat a lot, take a sports drink or water with an electrolyte tablet with you.

Don't be discouraged if you haven't run a full 5K at the end of C25K. The goal of the program is to run 30 minutes without stopping. Many new runners will not finish a 5K in 30 minutes. However, if you can run 30 minutes, then on race day you will be prepared to keep going long enough to finish the race--your training and adrenaline will get you through.

Also, sign up for a race so you have a goal to work toward. C25K programs are typically about 9 weeks (they vary somewhat depending on which version you use). You could train for a mid-November race; many towns in the US have Thanksgiving Day turkey trots that are very popular with new runners, as well as walkers and families, so no matter your pace you will probably not be last :).

You should also go to a running store and get fitted for shoes if you haven't already. Don't just run in whatever sneakers you have; you'll risk injury. Since it's humid, I also recommend a pair of moisture wicking socks to prevent blisters.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Isn't it the truth! I personally love my treadmill, I know a lot of people hate it but I am in Canada and it is freezing half the year, and humid for much of the unfrozen months. I used to beat myself up and tell myself that I wasn't *really* running because it was so much easier than running outside - but I figure it is still better than sitting on the couch!

You can run outdoors in Canada in the winter. You know you want to ;).

But you run, so you are definitely a runner whether inside or out!

e4wvp4redf3j.jpg

Just be careful for hidden ice patches a neighbour found one on a run and ended up at urgent care getting stitches.

I'm a fair weather runner. I use it as an outdoor activity and only do it when it's between like 5 and 20 Celcius. Princess running I'll call it. haha It's odd cause I'd go skate at an outdoor rink when it's -20
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options

I run year round as well (I'm in Ontario). Except for icy weather (or like if there was a huge snowfall and i'd be making a trail if 10+inches of snow - then i'll more likely grab snowshoes or skis and enjoy the snow!). +40 to -30. Requires quite the range in clothes haha.

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    AliNouveau wrote: »

e4wvp4redf3j.jpg

Just be careful for hidden ice patches a neighbour found one on a run and ended up at urgent care getting stitches.

I'm a fair weather runner. I use it as an outdoor activity and only do it when it's between like 5 and 20 Celcius. Princess running I'll call it. haha It's odd cause I'd go skate at an outdoor rink when it's -20

Yep, I'm an Alberta girl and I used to run year-round, but last December I hit a patch of black ice right as I was turning a corner and I wiped out. The ankle sprain was so bad that I was on crutches for 3 weeks and couldn't run again until almost April, and even now I can't manage the distances I used to and have to be very careful stepping off curbs and such so I don't twist it. I'm done with winter running and won't be out there unless the sidewalks are bare this year.

Fortunately, I do have a treadmill and don't mind using it, but I feel bad since it means my dog isn't getting to run with me. The treadmill has the advantages of running in shorts and tee, getting to watch Netflix, and not having to cover every inch of skin to avoid frostbite, so it's a pretty good option for me.

I am faster outside than I am on the treadmill, though, likely because I don't have my speed staring me in the face when I'm outdoors so I push harder just in case I'm not going fast enough, haha. On the treadmill, if I know I'm going 7mph or whatever, I relax, but outside I'm always pushing it a bit to make sure I'm doing what I want to be. I do use an app that tells me my pace at intervals, but it seems to act as more of a competitive driver than a reminder to moderate (my brain goes "awesome, that's faster than normal! Better keep going!" and the next thing I know I've run 10K with 180bpm heart rate...)