High protein breakfast--no eggs or dairy

Options
I do better throughout the rest of the day if I start my day out with protein at breakfast. I recently found out through testing that I am sensitive to eggs and dairy, so I have struggled to find alternative protein sources for breakfast. Looking for suggestions that are easy to prepare.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Tofu scramble reheats really well, great foundation for breakfast burritos.

I'm a big fan of beans for breakfast too. It sounds weird at first, but once I got used to it I was hooked. Here is a favorite morning bean recipe (although you can eat any kind of beans for breakfast): https://cadryskitchen.com/2018/01/26/gentle-morning-kitchari/
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Protein enriched cereal
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Chia pudding with coconut milk is a new one I've added to my collection. High protein and fiber. Make it the night before so no work in the morning.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Meat/fish/beans + grains.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I like a hamburger patty on whole grain toast for breakfast.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I often eat black beans with quinoa and spinach for breakfast. Sautee the spinach then add in the cooked quinoa and black beans and season with nutritional yeast.

Depends what you mean by high protein. Are you vegetarian? I am so I can get the protein struggle, but if you eat meat then why not just have that for breakfast protein?
  • no1racefan1
    no1racefan1 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I do eat meat but I get bored. I typically will have a sausage patty or venison steak for breakfast, and follow that up with some almondmilk yogurt with fruit for a morning snack. I guess I'm looking for more ways of incorporating protein to provide more variety. I don't subscribe to the idea that there are only certain foods to eat for breakfast, so all of these ideas are great!

I'm not a huge fan of beans but have been trying to like them more...

I've never tried chia pudding, or anything chia. The texture weirds me out.

Maybe I should have led with, I am very picky :)
  • cathipa
    Options
    I do eat meat but I get bored. I typically will have a sausage patty or venison steak for breakfast, and follow that up with some almondmilk yogurt with fruit for a morning snack. I guess I'm looking for more ways of incorporating protein to provide more variety. I don't subscribe to the idea that there are only certain foods to eat for breakfast, so all of these ideas are great!

I'm not a huge fan of beans but have been trying to like them more...

I've never tried chia pudding, or anything chia. The texture weirds me out.

Maybe I should have led with, I am very picky :)

Plant based protein shake?
  • Cascadae
    Cascadae Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bran bread with greek yogurt and peanut butter
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Cascadae wrote: »
    Bran bread with greek yogurt and peanut butter

Yogurt is dairy.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I like a smoked mackerel or haddock fillet with a little wholegrain rice and a handful of asparagus. Beans on toast with tomato and mushrooms is nice, and I occasionally have a sausage, a bacon rasher, mushrooms, tomato and asparagus when I'm in the mood for a 'half English' breakfast. I have eggs with mine, but obviously they can be omitted without any fuss.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    powdered p-nut butter, high fiber oat bran cereal, vanilla pea protein powder.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Chia pudding with coconut milk is a new one I've added to my collection. High protein and fiber. Make it the night before so no work in the morning.

How much chia seeds are you using? Since 1 T seeds = 2 g of protein, I can't fathom a recipe that would equal high protein.

Coconut milk is a better source of fat than protein, but I will note that for the brand I have in front of me, 1/3 C has 140 calories, 14 g fat, and 1 g protein.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I do better throughout the rest of the day if I start my day out with protein at breakfast. I recently found out through testing that I am sensitive to eggs and dairy, so I have struggled to find alternative protein sources for breakfast. Looking for suggestions that are easy to prepare.

Are you also sensitive to whey? Some people with dairy issues are fine with whey based protein powder. If that's ok with you, I'd add some fat and fiber and make a smoothie.

If not, you could do the same with vegan protein powder, but IMO these are less palatable.
  • CILLAJ8
    CILLAJ8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My go to breakfast is a smoothie. Plant based protein powder, coconut milk, small frozen banana and a tablespoon of peanut butter. About 30g of protein and this keeps me satisfied until lunch at 12pm.
  • cathipa
    edited August 2018
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    cathipa wrote: »

How much chia seeds are you using? Since 1 T seeds = 2 g of protein, I can't fathom a recipe that would equal high protein.

Coconut milk is a better source of fat than protein, but I will note that for the brand I have in front of me, 1/3 C has 140 calories, 14 g fat, and 1 g protein.

I add 2 Tbsp, but I forgot to mention I also add some vanilla whey to mine. And I'm using the carton not canned coconut milk. Not to say that would impart any protein, however the OP mentioned no dairy. I'm nut free so I don't use the other alternative milks.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I often eat beef jerky and a protein bar.

20g of protein in the bar and another 14g in the jerky.

I also like to eat a veggie burger with 3oz of chicken on the side.

You could do oatmeal with protein powder mixed in, topped with soy yogurt.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Steak. Ceviche. Bacon
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Protein bar. Cereal with protein milk (like vanilla flavored powder in milk)