Eggs vs egg whites

Options
124»

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I have a question about adding egg whites to whole egg. What ratio do you use? Like one whole egg and add how much egg white. This idea appeals to me, because I cannot eat just egg whites.

I have 1-2 eggs and up to 6 egg whites. Even 1 yolk in 7 whites makes a difference ...im not an egg white fan when they're on their own either
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I don't like eggs, so I don't eat them whole or the whites.

But I went through a while of putting yolks and yolks only in my coffee. Up to 3 at a time. It was delicious. The dog got at a lot of egg whites, wish I'd known someone who liked the whites so much I'd share.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »
    So what do you suppose happens to all of the yolks discarded to make egg whites in cartons? I never thought about all that waste before.

They separate the whites and the yolks and sell them for different products/to different companies. There are tons of products that use just yolks. Ice cream is a big one.

Mayo, salad dressings, custard.

Animal feed.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    I have a question about adding egg whites to whole egg. What ratio do you use? Like one whole egg and add how much egg white. This idea appeals to me, because I cannot eat just egg whites.

I have 1-2 eggs and up to 6 egg whites. Even 1 yolk in 7 whites makes a difference ...im not an egg white fan when they're on their own either

Tonight for dinner I scrambled 2 medium eggs (129 g) and 100 g of egg white from a carton, which is a bit more than the equivalent of 2 egg whites, according to the package, topped with a chipotle-flavored bean dip,some light sour cream, and the crumbly bits from the bottom of a bag of tortilla chips. Very yummy, and a nice big bowl with plenty of "calorie-room" for the toppings.
  • cparsons_60
    cparsons_60 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

But I went through a while of putting yolks and yolks only in my coffee. Up to 3 at a time. It was delicious. The dog got at a lot of egg whites, wish I'd known someone who liked the whites so much I'd share.

How did you keep the yolks from solidifying in the hot coffee? I suppose if you whipped them to a froth and then stirred them in a little at a time? Or did you have a better, quicker system?
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I eat egg whites when I need to balance high volume with low calories. So if I’m doing a breakfast wrap I want it super hefty, so tons of egg whites.
    It was really great on the first half of my journey when I was still more of a volume eater.

But honestly, I don’t even eat chicken eggs anymore. Not even free range chicken eggs, I don’t like the taste. I eat duck eggs now, which are a BILLION times better. But I DO eat them whole. I’m all about whole duck eggs.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I eat egg whites when I need to balance high volume with low calories. So if I’m doing a breakfast wrap I want it super hefty, so tons of egg whites.
    It was really great on the first half of my journey when I was still more of a volume eater.

But honestly, I don’t even eat chicken eggs anymore. Not even free range chicken eggs, I don’t like the taste. I eat duck eggs now, which are a BILLION times better. But I DO eat them whole. I’m all about whole duck eggs.

I've never seen fresh duck eggs for sale here, where do you buy yours?
  • MsHarryWinston
    Options

You will most likely have to buy them fresh off of a farm.
    We just happen to have a small neighborhood veggie store that specializes in produce from the local farms and they stock local duck eggs. But I also buy them straight off a farm.

Your best bet is to search craigslist or kijiji for local farmers that sell duck eggs.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

How did you keep the yolks from solidifying in the hot coffee? I suppose if you whipped them to a froth and then stirred them in a little at a time? Or did you have a better, quicker system?

This was some time ago, I mixed it with the heavy cream, and maybe some butter or coconut oil, and a bit of the coffee in the blender. Can't put a lot of hot stuff in the blender (found this out the HARD way) and then mixed it into the coffee in the cup. It also tended to cool the coffee, not make the egg mix hot.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options

I agree, duck eggs are great. We have several farms in my area that sell them.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

We just happen to have a small neighborhood veggie store that specializes in produce from the local farms and they stock local duck eggs. But I also buy them straight off a farm.

Your best bet is to search craigslist or kijiji for local farmers that sell duck eggs.

I find them at farmer's markets from time to time. They are good. To me, the yolks seem like a larger percentage of the egg than in chicken eggs.
  • PloddingTurtle
    PloddingTurtle Posts: 283 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I was under the mistaken impression that duck eggs were only available during the birds mating season in the spring, like goose eggs. But a few minutes of Googling later, I discover that there are now domestic duck eggs available year-round. Who knew? I may have to investigate local sources....
  • MsHarryWinston
    Options

I find them at farmer's markets from time to time. They are good. To me, the yolks seem like a larger percentage of the egg than in chicken eggs.

Yup. Duck yolks make up a much larger percentage of the egg than chicken yolks do. This makes them more filling than chicken eggs as well, not just because duck eggs are larger, but because the higher yolk percentage packs in tons more nutrients. Higher amounts of protein and vitamins etc. The calories per egg are higher, but to me it’s way worth it.

@PloddingTurtle It’s crazy, but most duck breeds are actually better layers than chickens! I would love to try goose eggs but I haven’t been able to find any locally yet. Which is hilarious since I’m Canadian and the park next to me is basically over run with Canadian Geese. Can’t/wouldn’t touch those, but it’s like being lost at sea but having no water to drink when you’re surrounded by the ocean. I see geese every day but no farmers here seem to keep them or sell eggs!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,642 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    50g "whole egg" : 100g "carton egg whites" is "extra protein"!
    50g "whole egg" : 150g "carton egg whites" is "pretty OK".
    50g "whole egg" : 200g "carton egg whites" is "OK in a calorie pinch".
    Of course cookie-ishes can get egg whites.
    So can oatmeal-ish.
    And pancake-likes and even cheesecake-ish! :smiley:
  • PloddingTurtle
    PloddingTurtle Posts: 283 Member
    Options

Yup. Duck yolks make up a much larger percentage of the egg than chicken yolks do. This makes them more filling than chicken eggs as well, not just because duck eggs are larger, but because the higher yolk percentage packs in tons more nutrients. Higher amounts of protein and vitamins etc. The calories per egg are higher, but to me it’s way worth it.

@PloddingTurtle It’s crazy, but most duck breeds are actually better layers than chickens! I would love to try goose eggs but I haven’t been able to find any locally yet. Which is hilarious since I’m Canadian and the park next to me is basically over run with Canadian Geese. Can’t/wouldn’t touch those, but it’s like being lost at sea but having no water to drink when you’re surrounded by the ocean. I see geese every day but no farmers here seem to keep them or sell eggs!

I've not seen domestic goose eggs for sale in a very long time. I got four from my brother a few years ago when he had a half dozen geese at the ranch. Since the average goose egg is three times the size of an extra large chicken egg, those four eggs were the equivalent of a dozen. The last time I saw the eggs was at a Co-op grocery store in Calgary, I think...or I may be remembering wrong and it was duck eggs. You can sometimes find the rarer local items at health food stores and small neighbourhood ethnic grocers. I'd agree with @MsHarryWinston that your better option would be to get them direct from a local farmer during their laying season in the spring, and the way to find that farmer to line it all up would be to find them through duck egg producers, farmers' market, Kijiji....
  • megbeveridge93
    megbeveridge93 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    This might be a stupid question, but for the people who only eat egg whites ... what do you do with the yolks? Just tossing them seems to be such a horrendous waste of good food.

If I use just an egg white for some reason, I'll give my yolk to the dog! He loves them!

Also if anyone doesn't like just egg whites, but doesn't want all the calories from all the yolks, have one whole egg for every two whites. It's not a bad mix. I generally eat the whole egg though!