Being overweight but seen as thin

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I think I had dropped around 60 pounds at one point (I'm down a total of 95) between dentist check ups and there was a lot of commenting and congratulating going on, and I'll never forget what my dentist said to me. "It's so weird to see you like this, because I never thought of you as even being big in the first place."

I don't get it. I weighed 210 pounds on a 5'1" medium frame. I understand that my fat was distributed nicely and I carried my weight well, but my goodness. I still don't get it. Mind you, my dentist is a very, very petite woman herself.

Sorry a tad off topic.
    I remember you pre 2016. Not sure what your weight was in your profile pic, but you looked slim and 'well endowed'. :)

I always look heavier than my weight, relatively big shoulders and I carry Every. Single. Pound. of fat in my abdomen.

So, sorry @yirara, can't contribute.

Cheers, h.

Around this weight h?

679qpoa3hh8g.jpg

This was 140 pounds.

This is a before pic taken when I was 195. I don't have any pics of me at 210

sgy76oxmbbe8.jpg

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @GottaBurnEmAll, yep, the pink top is the one I remember as you. But posting the blue I did recognize it.

I never realized until relatively recently we were the same height.

(I'm always amazed/amused by that though, we usually see individual pics, for privacy purposes, so it is hard to know a person's height without context- I'm really 6'1, honest B) )

Cheers, h.
    Apologies again @yirara for the side track.

ETA: I would have thought you a lot lighter at 140.
    I was horrendous at 130- you look lighter. If that makes sense. h
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    @GottaBurnEmAll, yep, the pink top is the one I remember as you. But posting the blue I did recognize it.

I never realized until relatively recently we were the same height.

(I'm always amazed/amused by that though, we usually see individual pics, for privacy purposes, so it is hard to know a person's height without context- I'm really 6'1, honest B) )

Cheers, h.
    Apologies again @yirara for the side track.

ETA: I would have thought you a lot lighter at 140.
    I was horrendous at 130- you look lighter. If that makes sense. h

Again, sorry for the hijack @yiara, but in a way this relates:

H, you and I are indeed the same size, but we have different frame sizes AND different genetic muscle mass. I know, for example, that my thighs are more muscular than yours. Mine are a genetic inheritance from my grandmother. Hearty Italian peasant stock! I think between the frame and the muscle mass, it can go a lot towards explaining how one can look a certain way at a certain weight compared to another person.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Yirara, I recently read an article about our body shapes. We are either pear or apple shaped. Women are for the most part pears. You can lose weight but you can't change your shape. You can weight lift to add muscle but the shape is still there. As for me, what's funny is even after I lost 60 pounds from 220 to 160, my friends said they don't remember me being obese, that is until I show them my before and after pictures, then its wow, I never noticed. 85dhxmsd7mhp.jpg
    oydfpjv8xsdi.jpg

WOW! What an amazing transformation, you look fantastic and glowing now.
  • corysmithsmail
    corysmithsmail Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and 190lbs. Everyone thinks I'm smaller. They flip out when I say I want to lose 30 more lbs. Though even if I lost that 160lbs is still too heavy for my frame according to medical prof. But I am not trying to be super thin, so I will never purposefully go lower than 160. But I guess I just carry my weight differently.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and 190lbs. Everyone thinks I'm smaller. They flip out when I say I want to lose 30 more lbs. Though even if I lost that 160lbs is still too heavy for my frame according to medical prof. But I am not trying to be super thin, so I will never purposefully go lower than 160. But I guess I just carry my weight differently.

If that is you in your photo, I think you look 190. I wouldn't listen to any of them! Most likely they don't want you to look better than them, lol. Lose until you are happy and at a healthy weight.
  • DeshotelK
    DeshotelK Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Let's see...I am normal weight but people always seem to think I'm super skinny and verging on starvation, they consistently say things that guess my weight 30-50 lbs lower than it actually is. I think a lot of it is just being broad shouldered and small boned...it's like a tall, slender visual (optical illusion?) and no one notices where the extra bits are packed on. (for me that's love handles and hips/belly however, its a proportional spread)

I am 5'9" (175cm) and 150 lbs (68kg) - hopefully I correctly converted that...

I'm also 5'9" and when I was at my lowest (160 lbs) I was constantly told I was too skinny. I have a wide frame and people would always guess my weight as being way lower than it was. I'm back up to more than I'm comfortable with now and the comments have stopped. Working my way back down to my comfortable weight again so I'm sure I'll be hearing it soon enough.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    Because of my bone structure, I can carry a bit more weight without looking "fat". I am short 5'3", but not petite - meaning I don't have small bones, so even at my thinnest, I can never wear petites. And I carry my weight pretty well distributed, no matter what my weight and solid, not "fluffy".
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    First, I think a lot of the words people use to describe bodies are subjective and not particularly descriptive. A lady at work called me "skinny." The very next day, a guy at the gym called me "thick." I'm really probably a bit of both. I use the term "built" to describe myself.

Also, muscularity, height, build all factor into your weight and appearance.

• corysmithsmail
    corysmithsmail Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    First, I think a lot of the words people use to describe bodies are subjective and not particularly descriptive. A lady at work called me "skinny." The very next day, a guy at the gym called me "thick." I'm really probably a bit of both. I use the term "built" to describe myself.

Also, muscularity, height, build all factor into your weight and appearance.

lol reminds me of a phrase I hear a lot of people refer to themselves as. "SlimThick" lol
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    Yirara, I recently read an article about our body shapes. We are either pear or apple shaped. Women are for the most part pears. You can lose weight but you can't change your shape. You can weight lift to add muscle but the shape is still there. As for me, what's funny is even after I lost 60 pounds from 220 to 160, my friends said they don't remember me being obese, that is until I show them my before and after pictures, then its wow, I never noticed. 85dhxmsd7mhp.jpg
    oydfpjv8xsdi.jpg

You look amazing!
  • CrazyPixie12345
    CrazyPixie12345 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight and yes, I definitely look it. However my friends and family would immediately disagree, but probably because they're just trying to be nice :D
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of it is a matter of perception. In an area or a group where lots of people are overweight or a few are very obese, someone who is 10, 20 or 40 lbs to lose, might easily be perceived as normal or even slim.

I had to completely change my lifestyle, both because of schedule changes and of medical restrictions, gained about 15 lbs, trying to get things back on track now. In my gym class, I am not thin and not perceived as slim. In my typical couch potato workplace, I am among the thinnest people in my age group. My gym instructor thinks it is perfectly reasonable I am trying to lose the weight and limit calories, if I had the same conversation with my coworkers, they would think I am just trying to get compliments.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Strangers occasionally tell me I’m ‘lovely and slim’ (often when telling me I can ‘afford’ to eat chocolate, sigh). I’m hovering at around the very top of the ‘normal’ BMI category. But I carry all my weight in my hips and thighs, which are normally hidden under a skirt; the part of me that people see is where my collarbones show!