Netflix- explained- why diets fail

Options
Interesting episode- the part about Leptin levels hit me personally, I feel so hungry all the time.
Not to discourage, I’m gonna do it still. Just food for thought (pun intended!).

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    nevermind
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, but it’s ok to be hungry. If you dislike the feeling, eat smaller meals more frequently and keep raw veggies for quick snacks. It can help

For me, why diets fail, is because of overeating, and rarely feeling hungry.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    The other thing too, angela - play around with what you are eating. For instance I can't really have too many carbs at any one time or it leaves me hungry soon after. I don't eat low carb, but I'm usually right around 150g or less every day. I make sure every meal and snack has protein, carbs and fat.

When I first started my food choices were centered around (and had been for a long time) cereals, bread, sweets, fruits. I tried to keep eating that way and I was always hungry. For me, cutting down on wheat was a great change I made. It seems to just make me hungrier. I don't think I have any kind of sensitivity to it but I think it does me no favors. I also stopped buying things that I would tend to eat the whole package in one sitting - like cookies, crackers, cereal or chips. When I was on low cal, having that stuff around was a recipe for disaster.

Then I started really paying attention to getting enough protein, fat, and fiber. So that meant most of my meals were heavy on the vegetables. That in itself helped tremendously. Volume and nutrition.

Wow..... how true about the wheat. I actually still eat some bread and oats occasional torilla, but have replaced many of my carbs with potatoes, not the carb bombs like russet, but sweet, red..ect, some corn, fresh usually, beans, lentils, heavy veggies, I tend to not add fats, but get fats from their natural sources like the meats I eat, nuts, avacado, some dairy. Not to say I don't indulge on higher calorie density foods, but limit them. I used to have serious.... Well let's just say poopie issues. Chronic explosions... TMI. Now, with the heavy increase in fiber, not so much.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Interesting episode- the part about Leptin levels hit me personally, I feel so hungry all the time.
    Not to discourage, I’m gonna do it still. Just food for thought (pun intended!).

Diets will ALWAYS fail. ALWAYS.
    Changing your lifestyle, never.

Not to hijack the thread, but what exactly is the difference? Isn't a lifestyle just a life-long diet?

Diet the noun? or diet the verb? I think @crazyravr means the verb.
  • jjpptt2
    Options

Not to hijack the thread, but what exactly is the difference? Isn't a lifestyle just a life-long diet?

Ok, so aside from comparing a verb to a noun, what's the real-world difference between the 2? When dieting, you are managing what you eat, right? Aren't you doing the same thing with lifestyle? The only difference is that one typically has an endpoint and the other inherently doesn't. Well, aside from death.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

Yes and no IMHO. A diet, to me at least, is completely restrictive that give you rules you have to follow. Lifestyle change IMHO are rules to choose to follow. It's like saying, " I can't do that." Vs. " I don't do that." I believe it can change the way we look at things. Most humans will always grind again external rules, but have less trouble following their own rules.

ok. I guess that makes sense on some level... based on how certain people respond to rules and limitation and choices and such. To me, that seems like a pretty fine hair to split, but I get the point for some people.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

Ok, so aside from comparing a verb to a noun, what's the real-world difference between the 2? When dieting, you are managing what you eat, right? Aren't you doing the same thing with lifestyle? The only difference is that one typically has an endpoint and the other inherently doesn't. Well, aside from death.

Many years ago, I saw a really cool documentary on skateboarding and the quote that struck me was that skateboarding is a lifestyle. Personally, I don't really care for the word "lifestyle", I don't use it much. All I picture are skateboarders. LOL

Your diet(the noun) could be to maintain your weight.
  • jjpptt2
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I guess this whole diet vs lifestyle thing is too black and white for me. I think your diet, whatever that may be, is part of your lifestyle, whatever that maybe. They are not exclusive of each other.

Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled program (thread) - enough with this derailment.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

Haven't seen the netflix show, but if you are concerned about leptin, incorporate periodic diet breaks and super high carb refeeds.