Netflix- explained- why diets fail

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I guess this whole diet vs lifestyle thing is too black and white for me. I think your diet, whatever that may be, is part of your lifestyle, whatever that maybe. They are not exclusive of each other.

but isn't that exactly the point... your 'lifestyle' as was is exactly why you, I and OP came here.

to be more healthy or more fit or lose weight or whatever your goal, you need to change that lifestyle?

adding exercise and cutting carbs (for example) as a 'diet' works while you do it, but then if you go back to your original lifestyle, you'll lose your fitness and regain the weight.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I guess this whole diet vs lifestyle thing is too black and white for me. I think your diet, whatever that may be, is part of your lifestyle, whatever that maybe. They are not exclusive of each other.

but isn't that exactly the point... your 'lifestyle' as was is exactly why you, I and OP came here.

to be more healthy or more fit or lose weight or whatever your goal, you need to change that lifestyle?

adding exercise and cutting carbs (for example) as a 'diet' works while you do it, but then if you go back to your original lifestyle, you'll lose your fitness and regain the weight.

I guess. I think it's mostly semantics.

Living a healthier lifestyle, for most of us, is going to include a healthier diet (whatever that means to any given person). But to me, that's still a diet - you still have to chose to eat differently. I see no difference in making choices about how you eat because you're on a diet vs making choices about how you eat because it's a lifestyle.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Diets fail because they need constant upkeep during and after weight loss, whatever you want to call that. Very few are able to achieve that because many factors are working against it.

As for hunger, it's a learning process, but there are things that can be done about it. Most diets don't fail due to hunger, although some of us are naturally hungrier (I'm one).
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen the show - but is it even possible to get fat eating for hunger? I doubt it. I think we get fat eating for pleasure, or from habit. If we only ate for hunger it would be easy.

I'm hungry from running all the time. If i ate to hungry while training for a race I'd gain loads.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    The other thing too, angela - play around with what you are eating. For instance I can't really have too many carbs at any one time or it leaves me hungry soon after. I don't eat low carb, but I'm usually right around 150g or less every day. I make sure every meal and snack has protein, carbs and fat.

When I first started my food choices were centered around (and had been for a long time) cereals, bread, sweets, fruits. I tried to keep eating that way and I was always hungry. For me, cutting down on wheat was a great change I made. It seems to just make me hungrier. I don't think I have any kind of sensitivity to it but I think it does me no favors. I also stopped buying things that I would tend to eat the whole package in one sitting - like cookies, crackers, cereal or chips. When I was on low cal, having that stuff around was a recipe for disaster.

Then I started really paying attention to getting enough protein, fat, and fiber. So that meant most of my meals were heavy on the vegetables. That in itself helped tremendously. Volume and nutrition.

This is me!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen the show - but is it even possible to get fat eating for hunger? I doubt it. I think we get fat eating for pleasure, or from habit. If we only ate for hunger it would be easy.

The levels of the various hormones are what make you feel hungry and many people have to stop eating because they logically know they have consumed enough but they still feel hungry. So yes, it is very possible to get fat eating from hunger. Also remember that our natural instinct is to eat all we can when food is available because it wasn't always available like it is now.
  • colorfulcoquette
    colorfulcoquette Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    The other thing too, angela - play around with what you are eating. For instance I can't really have too many carbs at any one time or it leaves me hungry soon after. I don't eat low carb, but I'm usually right around 150g or less every day. I make sure every meal and snack has protein, carbs and fat.

When I first started my food choices were centered around (and had been for a long time) cereals, bread, sweets, fruits. I tried to keep eating that way and I was always hungry. For me, cutting down on wheat was a great change I made. It seems to just make me hungrier. I don't think I have any kind of sensitivity to it but I think it does me no favors. I also stopped buying things that I would tend to eat the whole package in one sitting - like cookies, crackers, cereal or chips. When I was on low cal, having that stuff around was a recipe for disaster.

Then I started really paying attention to getting enough protein, fat, and fiber. So that meant most of my meals were heavy on the vegetables. That in itself helped tremendously. Volume and nutrition.

This is me!

This is me as well :)
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    From the Fat2Fit website, there's a quote regarding figuring out what your maintenance calories would be for your optimum body weight. Start eating that way "and you'll never have to be on 'a diet' again."
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    A lot of us get fat from an ED. It is easier to suppress it with motivation, which you have a lot of while losing, than discipline, which is what you need in maintenance. Both work to suppress it but it is harder to maintain discipline because it has to be forever.

That is pretty much the opposite of the problem, usually.

"Motivation" wanes. You have a finite amount of "motivation", so to speak.
    But you can learn to develop and strengthen your resolve / discipline the more often you employ it, like developing a good habit.
    Both of these things are well documented.
    Develop the discipline up front and this problem practically solves itself.

Also "a lot of us" do not have an Eating Disorder and that is not why "we" get fat.
    But "many of us" have bad habits revolving around how we abuse portion sizes, use food as a reward, or treat food like some sort of emotional outlet or proxy.
    I've never heard stuff like that described as an ED before.

Furthermore, many "of us" do not know the difference between hunger or appetite nor how to think about things in the long-term.

Diets often fail because people revert to bad habits afterwards, no matter if the "diet" was working previously or not.
    That is the whole reason the fluffy terms like "lifestyle change" started gaining traction.
    Get people thinking about their life choices and habits for the long-term instead of "OMG!!! I have to lose 20 lbs for the wedding in 6 weeks!!!! Poor me!!!!"
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    To me - English is not my first language, but we have a similar distinction in Norwegian - "a diet" is just what you eat. "Going on a diet" is eating in a specific, externally prescribed way with the purpose of losing weight. "Dieting" is eating less (fewer calories) with the intention of losing weight. There are also specific diets for other conditions, like diets intended to manage or alleviate the symptoms of, or prevent complications from, diabetes, epilepsy, high cholesterol etc.

I agree very much with picking good terms for what you're doing, and filling those terms with positive meaning. Many people treat "lifestyle change" as yet another diet - same sh|it, new wrapping.

I also struggled a lot with my weight, but that wasn't because I was hungry when dieting; the diet I was on, was physically sufficient, plenty of calories and nutrition to not starve - it was just that the diet was made up of foods/combinations of foods I wouldn't have eaten if I wasn't intending to lose weight.

Figuring out how to eat in a way I truly enjoy - which is food I like in amounts that keeps me healthy and my weight stable, was the gamechanger.

Kom..... single? Lol
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    A lot of us get fat from an ED. It is easier to suppress it with motivation, which you have a lot of while losing, than discipline, which is what you need in maintenance. Both work to suppress it but it is harder to maintain discipline because it has to be forever.

That is pretty much the opposite of the problem, usually.

"Motivation" wanes. You have a finite amount of "motivation", so to speak.
    But you can learn to develop and strengthen your resolve / discipline the more often you employ it, like developing a good habit.
    Both of these things are well documented.
    Develop the discipline up front and this problem practically solves itself.

Also "a lot of us" do not have an Eating Disorder and that is not why "we" get fat.
    But "many of us" have bad habits revolving around how we abuse portion sizes, use food as a reward, or treat food like some sort of emotional outlet or proxy.
    I've never heard stuff like that described as an ED before.

Furthermore, many "of us" do not know the difference between hunger or appetite nor how to think about things in the long-term.

Diets often fail because people revert to bad habits afterwards, no matter if the "diet" was working previously or not.
    That is the whole reason the fluffy terms like "lifestyle change" started gaining traction - start thinking about your life choices and habits in the long-term.

Actually, a lot of that sounds like the technical definition of an ED. Our decisions to continue such practices lead to some of us becoming obese in some ways. You are both correct IMHO.