How to start strength training!?

Options
Hi guys!
I’m new to strength training. Had my first proper gym session in years on Monday and feeling the good burn. I have an app, fitbod, that gives me a mix of exercises to do at the gym each time alternating between muscle groups which is great but it doesn’t really give me a clue of what weight I should start on with free weights or any of the machines and I honestly don’t have a clue what weight I should be aiming for or how to decide. Can anyone help?? 😊

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    A good program should give you both weight and reps/sets to be doing. But if you want to start a little broader and do your own thing, that's fine. I'd start with the lightest weight you can (body weight, just the barbell, lightest dumbbells, single plate, etc) and work on your technique.

Once you get onto an established program, progress will come quickly (relatively speaking), but you want to have a good foundation for the movements before you start increasing weight.
  • hungrythirstytired
    Options
    Thanks jjpptt! The app does give me reps and sets but not weight but I’ll start on the lowest. Thanks for the advice 😊
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

Good for you for getting started~ Basically you start low then work up to the weight that is the heaviest you can lift for the specified reps with good form. For one person it could be 5 lbs and for the next person 50 lbs. If a weight feels way too light after a few reps, just bump up to the next. It's a process of trial and error in the beginning to find a good starting point "FOR YOU." If you were working with a trainer, that's exactly how they would figure out where you need to start.

I suggest you check out this thread and pick an organized program that sounds appealing.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Pick a weight. If you can't finish 5 reps, go lighter. If it feels too easy, go heavier. There's no one weight that's correct for everyone to start with. It's okay to have to try different weights for various lifts to find the best one for you when you're starting out.

The same goes for lifting programs, find one that best fits your schedule and goals.
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    OK... If you're new, you need to first work on developing proper form, along with boosting your metabolism.
    Don't trust an app to give you the proper guidance.

First step is to determine which movements will you be performing on your first development set.
    I recommend multi joint/Compound Movements with mostly free weights and machines only when necessary. For every push, a pull... So... If you do Bench Press, the next exercise should be Seated Cable Row.
    Your focus, in the beginning, should be motor development. High repetitions, short intervals and slow cadence.

You should also use "just" weights, so that you give your all at each set. It's ok if your muscle fails, but you should strive for completion. Not light, but not too heavy that you hurt yourself.
    9 to 15 reps with 2 sets for upper body
    9 to 15 reps with 2 to 4 sets for lower body.
    Cadence should be 3030. (3 seconds extending, 0 hold, 3 seconds contracting 0 hold and repeat)

Use the same sets for the first month before you switch exercises.
    Work the same group of muscles twice a week. (Chest, Shoulders and back on Mon/Thu - Legs and butt on Tue/Fri)
    Do a spin class (You can find them on youtube if your gym doesn't have a class) on wed and sat.

If you don't know which exercises to do, ask an instructor in your gym to prescribe you a workout.
    2 chest, 1 shoulder and 3 back exercises all in opposition of each other so that you can do a push and pull with every exercise.
    For the legs, Leg Press, Squats, Laying leg curls and calf contractions on the leg press machine should be a good start.

Be aware that:
    The beginning is going to hurt. If you don't have DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) after the first few workouts, you're not challenging your muscle.
    DOMS usually starts on the next day, but you really feel it on day 2.

Hope this helps.