Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Moderate carbohydrate intake may be best for health, study suggests

kshama2001
kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
Thoughts?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/08/180817093812.htm

Date: August 17, 2018
Source: The Lancet

Summary:
A new study has found that diets both low and high in carbohydrates were linked with an increase in mortality, while moderate consumers of carbohydrates had the lowest risk of mortality. The study also found that low-carb diets that replace carbohydrates with proteins and fats from plant sources were associated with lower risk of mortality compared to those that replace carbohydrates with proteins and fat from animal sources.

The observational study of more than 15,400 people from the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study (ARIC) in the USA found that diets both low (< 40% energy) and high (>70% energy) in carbohydrates were linked with an increase in mortality, while moderate consumers of carbohydrates (50-55% of energy) had the lowest risk of mortality.

The primary findings, confirmed in a meta-analysis of studies on carbohydrate intake including more than 432,000 people from over 20 countries, also suggest that not all low-carbohydrate diets appear equal -- eating more animal-based proteins and fats from foods like beef, lamb, pork, chicken and cheese instead of carbohydrate was associated with a greater risk of mortality. Alternatively, eating more plant-based proteins and fats from foods such as vegetables, legumes, and nuts was linked to lower mortality.

Read more: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/08/180817093812.htm

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    This is the original source: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpub/article/PIIS2468-2667(18)30135-X/fulltext

I keep wanting to read it but just can't get around to it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    hippiesaur wrote: »
    hippiesaur wrote: »
    "The highest risk of mortality was observed in participants with the lowest carbohydrate consumption, in both unadjusted and adjusted models." This is interesting.. So is it better to eat high carb than low carb?
    The participants' mean BMI was in the overweight range (around 27-28) however their mean energy intake was 1600 cals, this sounds a bit strange to me to be honest.

It looks like the details on calorie intake were based on questionnaires filled out by study participants. We know that people aren't necessarily the greatest at estimating their portion sizes (usually underestimating).

So how do we know they didn't underestimate their carb intake as well?

That's exactly it -- we don't. They could have over- or underestimated their carbohydrate intake. My intuitive feeling (not based on data) is that in the current carbo-phobic atmosphere the average person would be more likely to underestimate their carbohydrate intake (to make themselves appear more virtuous), but I have no idea if this has been studied and there is anything to bear that out.

I don't think that's the case, though. I'm not defending the study (like I said, haven't read it), but since it started with data from the 80s and 90s, low fat was a more prevalent method for those who wanted to lose weight.

Oh, I missed that detail. Thank you!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    The thing that occurred to me when I read about this study is that people who are already struggling with obesity and health conditions related to weight (or that they think may be related to weight) are probably more likely to switch to a low carbohydrate diet than people who aren't struggling with weight. Would this possibly skew the numbers for low carbohydrate diet mortality?

You do have a point but is it just a coincidence that those that faired the best were following a diet which closely matched the diets of those in the blue zones?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I like this paper because it agrees with what I believe :lol: but I think it has to get relegated to the same pile most of these studies do - it's relying on self reported data, quite possibly skewed by the participants memory, inaccurate measuring, and desire to seem like they are doing the right thing.

If nothing else, I think it's a nice pop culture antidote to the keto drum beating. But I'll still fall back on the Blue Zones when defending my carbiness to concerned family and friends :innocent:

Yep, I like it because it agrees with my carbiness as well, I just wish I could get myself to read it. More interesting things keep popping up and I keep putting it off. Cliffsnotes would be nice if someone has done more than the skimming and random sampling I did.
  • suibhan6
    suibhan6 Posts: 81 Member
    edited August 2018
    I am of the opinion, based on my personal experience only, that a lowish-moderate carb diet works best (for me). As in providing (if you eat the right carbs) good levels of fiber, nutrition and so forth, as measured by blood parameters such as triglycerides and LDL/HDL levels. Both of which markedly improved when I went lowish-carb modified, Paleo plan 6 or 7 years ago. I wonder if this study checked those who ate very low carb for the types of fats and proteins they were making up the balance of their diets with. It's usually the QUALITY of the macronutrients that are factors, I seriously suspect. This is why the Blue Zones work so well. (I'm incorporating some of those foods... bitter melon can be great!) It's going to be a lot more complex than breaking things down to Carb, Fat, Protein. The quality and nature of these three things are paramount.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    suibhan6 wrote: »
    I am of the opinion, based on my personal experience only, that a lowish-moderate carb diet works best (for me). As in providing (if you eat the right carbs) good levels of fiber, nutrition and so forth, as measured by blood parameters such as triglycerides and LDL/HDL levels. I wonder if this study checked those who ate very low carb for the types of fats and proteins they were making up the balance of their diets with. It's often the QUALITY of the macronutrients that are factors, I seriously suspect. This is why the Blue Zones work so well. It's going to be a lot more complex than breaking things down to Carb, Fat, Protein. The quality and nature of these three things are paramount.

I'll go ahead and stop you right there... this study did not include anyone actually eating a low carb diet, much less "very low carb." What the study refers to as "low carb" is actually moderate carb.