Bike buying tips?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Love the pictures. Happiness=a new bike!!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Love the pictures. Happiness=a new bike!!

Does happiness = bikes, or do bikes = happiness?
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions on here. My only suggestion ride as many bikes as you can until you find one that just feels right. Then pay the $$$$ to get a good bike from the start because it will make riding way more enjoyable. I started mountain biking a couple years ago and bought a entry level hardtail because I was hesitant to spend a lot of money. I was immediately hooked and LOVED biking but once I rode a well built bike I wondered why I wasted the money on a cheaper bike. I bought the bullet and purchased a full suspension enduro bike and now I enjoy riding 10x more than before. Having quality parts will make your riding experience a lot better. It will give you good piece of mind that if you purchase a good bike your skills won't exceed your bike.

Definitely get on Strava or some kind tracker so you can see your improvements. Find local riders and join them whenever possible. Ride with strangers and get out there. The biking community is full of amazing welcoming people. Best of luck and feel free to add me!
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Picked up a used Giant Cypress today to ride more leisurely rides with my bride.

Not bad for $250 from a local bike shop.

Sure, I could have probably found a used one from a private seller for a bit less. But gotta support the LBS.

vk79yi9ib06k.jpg

Now if I lose another 15-25 pounds, I'll be looking to replace the Aluminum Giant Defy 2 with something more carbon fibery....

But for now, this will be good around town and on the crushed limestone trails with my wife. Kind of a, "let's hop on the bikes and earn an ice cream cone" bike.

Goes with her Womens Cypress we bought back in 2012.
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    We started out with a hybrid. Then we quickly ended up trading them for road bikes. Trek has a plan where you can trade them in (like a car so to speak). I would suggest trying regular peddles first, then upgrade to clip less.