How to respond if someone says you're overweight!

Options

Replies

• EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    My uncle from out of town says "You've gained weight" whenever he sees me. I respond "You've gotten so old!"

It's all in good fun.

Although if someone I wasn't as familiar with said I was overweight I'd just act shocked. They're the one that's breaking the social rules, not me.
  • CogitoErgoSum2
    CogitoErgoSum2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    "How interesting that you pointed this out today. I am wondering what's going on for you right now and how you feel now that you have told me this".

I tend to think that, what people think of me is none of my business because it's about them and their constructs. :wink:

It doesn't mean that what they say is untrue or that I necessarily disagree with them, only that the reasons behind what they think of me have generally nothing to do with me. I don't take it personally!
  • lovejulez03
    lovejulez03 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I would do exactly what this guy does...shirtless and all.
    Mistake.gif

lmfao
  • CogitoErgoSum2
    CogitoErgoSum2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mr8jo6XdWz1qz4rgp.gif

no one has actually ever called me overweight to my face, but this is how I would react

This thingy is addictive, I can't take my eyes off it. LOL
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    To borrow one of cricket's greatest sledges:

Glenn McGrath (bowling to portly Zimbabwean chicken farmer Eddo Brandes):
    “Hey Eddo, why are you so ****ing fat?”
    Eddo Brandes: “Because every time I **** your mother, she throws me a biscuit.”
  • labeachgirl
    labeachgirl Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m3vj4o3Rhp1r3zat8.gif
  • danarandallreed
    danarandallreed Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what I would say if someone told me I was fat. I usually carry a concealed weapon in my purse, so there are so many possibilities how that might turn out. I would not shoot the person, but that would probably be the last time they called someone fat. Let this be a tip for any of the a--holes on here who think it's funny to call someone fat.

I think, after fishing around in my designer handbag for my .22 magnum, I would ask them to repeat what they just said. I would not point it, I would just check for the bullets.
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m3vj4o3Rhp1r3zat8.gif

^^^^^^^^^
    This one!
  • _Madison_Leigh
    Options
    2rn8sbl.jpg
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I think it's kinder than asking if I'm pregnant which has happened to me numerous times. :(

When I was 8 months pregnant I had somoene ask me how far along I was, my husband looked at her and said she's not pregnant. The lady was mortified, but then he laughed and said I'm just kidding. I bet she'll never ask anyone that again lol.
  • _Madison_Leigh
    Options
    inftw0.jpg
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what I would say if someone told me I was fat. I usually carry a concealed weapon in my purse, so there are so many possibilities how that might turn out. I would not shoot the person, but that would probably be the last time they called someone fat. Let this be a tip for any of the a--holes on here who think it's funny to call someone fat.

I think, after fishing around in my designer handbag for my .22 magnum, I would ask them to repeat what they just said. I would not point it, I would just check for the bullets.

I hope you are either lying about carrying a gun, or lying about pulling it. Because if you aren't you are definitely the kind of person that should not be carrying.

Furthermore, that little .22 would seem very insignificant when whoever you pull it on breaks out a .45
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    WHAT! But the modeling agent with the clipboard in the middle of the mall told me after I gave her $500 I was gonna be a swimsuit model!! :-(
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I hade a patient ask me when I was due! I was so mortified that I actually made up a due date. :(
  • Slendermike
    Slendermike Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    I am not overweight, you are just skinny
  • LMHackney
    Options
    yup! That I have actually said before! My weight is no one's business but my own! The only one who has a right to say anything is my doctor and now my trainer!
  • sub10orbust
    sub10orbust Posts: 706 Member
    Options

lol ........
  • shannongoneau
    shannongoneau Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Say yes if you are; say no if you are not.

If you feel insulted because you're overweight then the problems lies within yourself.

Totally agree with this.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I love this thread.

Here is what I would most likely say:
    "That would really bother me if I actually valued your opinion"

I am very, very overweight. This kind of thing doesn't motivate me at all. Yes it hurts, but I won't let that person know. I used to keep those kind of things inside. Now, I just let it go. It's like water off a duck's back. I don't hold onto them any longer.
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Well, my father-in-law used to call me Chubby as a nick name. I tolerated that for about 6 visits. Then one day he called me it while we were outside, just the two of us. That was enough for me. I politely told him that I've had a long battle with weight and my self-image and that I am particularly sensitive to being called things in regards to my weight. So while I understood it was his term of endearment, it bothered me and I'd appreciate it if he didn't call me that any more.

He never called me that, or any other weight related nick-name again.

When I was in school, I'd just kick the crap out of them.

If a stranger remarks about my weight, I just toss a sly smirk at them and tell that given the number of suitors I have vying for my attention, it's not really much of an issue, but thank you for pointing out the obvious.