Intermittent fasting ? Does it work for you????

Options

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I switch back and forth. Lately I am just skipping breakfast and having what I would have had for breakfast (a protein shake) as my mid morning snack, just to eliminate some calories. I used to skip breakfast and not eat until lunchtime and it was ok but I don't like being hungry.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to stay utterly consistent with your start and stop times for eating. Like always. On the weekends. On holidays. Make exceptions, but don't expect progress.

This relates specifically to me. I cannot speak for others. But I have problems with being consistent, generally speaking, and IF is a great help for that.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I tried IF as it worked wonderfully for my brother, but I found it didn't work out for me. By limiting myself to that 8 hour window, I tried skipping breakfast, but just found myself obsessing with the clock until I could finally eat something, and then feeling ravenous and overeating when I could finally allow myself to eat. I'm better off if I plan 3 fixed meals and allow some room for some snacks in between. I don't exactly graze, either, but do need to allow flexibility to eat when I'm hungry.
  • wirving27
    wirving27 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It definitely works for me. I do the 16-8 method it helps me keep from over eating during the day. It's hard to over eat when you barely have time to eat haha! Whatever works for your schedule though don't over stress!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    wirving27 wrote: »
    It definitely works for me. I do the 16-8 method it helps me keep from over eating during the day. It's hard to over eat when you barely have time to eat haha! Whatever works for your schedule though don't over stress!

for you it keeps you from overeating. I got fat overeating doing IF. its real and does happen.Ive done 16:8 most of my life and there are times I do 18:6. Im maintaining right now doing IF, I lost weight doing IF I just ate in a deficit to lose the weight.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    MistressPi wrote: »
    Here is an link which may be of interest to those that are following this thread.

Quote from the paper published in the journal Autophagy, posted here:

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3106288/
    Short-term fasting induces profound neuronal autophagy

--snip--

Our observation that a brief period of food restriction can induce widespread upregulation of autophagy in CNS neurons may have clinical relevance. As noted above, disruption of autophagy can cause neurodegenerative disease, and the converse also may hold true: upregulation of autophagy may have a neuroprotective effect. For example, in vitro models have shown that starvation in neuronal cell lines can remove toxic molecules and damaged mitochondria from neurons.22–24 Other tissue culture studies, of mutant huntingtin and α-synuclein proteins (which are associated with Huntington disease and familial Parkinson disease respectively), have identified autophagy substrates that can be removed by drug-induced enhancement of autophagy. Most importantly, some neuroprotective effects of drug-enhanced autophagy also have been observed in vivo, in a D. melanogaster model of Huntington disease.25 Finally, it has been suggested that intermittent fasting might improve neuronal function by means that are entirely independent of caloric intake, and may instead reflect an intrinsic neuronal response that is triggered by fasting;26,27 we speculate that the reported improvement of neuronal function may be related to the upregulation of autophagy that we show here. The above findings have encouraged the development of drugs that might enhance neuronal autophagy, thereby protecting against disease. Such drugs must: (i) be able to cross the intact blood-brain barrier; (ii) upregulate neuronal autophagy; and (iii) be harmless to the recipient. Food restriction is a simple, reliable, inexpensive and harmless alternative to drug ingestion and, therefore, we propose that short-term food restriction may represent an attractive alternative to the prophylaxis and treatment of diseases in which candidate drugs are currently being sought. However, caution is counseled, because studies in rat brain have suggested that chronic starvation might inhibit autophagy,28 an outcome that could damage, rather than protect, neurons.28,29

(emphasis mine)

I did not read the links provided in the endnotes.

Yes, I did note the counsel to caution against chronic starvation.

As the text above suggests, it has only been "suggested" that IF provides autophagy benefits. So far, this has not proven in studies on humans. Only in mice.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4516560/
    "Several lines of evidence support the hypothesis that eating patterns that reduce or eliminate nighttime eating and prolong nightly fasting intervals could result in sustained improvements in human health. While this hypothesis has not been tested in humans, support from animal research is striking and data from human time-restricted feeding studies are suggestive. Prolonged nightly fasting may be a simple, feasible, and potentially effective disease prevention strategy at the population level.

Large-scale randomized trials of intermittent fasting regimens in free-living adults are needed and should last for at least a year to see if behavioral and metabolic changes are sustainable and whether they have long term effects on biomarkers of aging and longevity. Future studies should incorporate objective measures of energy intake, sleep, and energy expenditure; assess numerous markers of disease risk; and enroll diverse populations who disproportionately suffer from obesity and related health maladies."

Yes, I did note the qualifications and cautious wording of the authors. I am currently reading papers of studies, conducted (voluntarily) on humans, which I consider have sufficient sample sizes, to further my own education. A human's body engages in autophagy, just like mice do, and presumably it does so because the mechanism contributes to the overall survival of the organism. Definitively quantifying such benefits may take some time... absolute PROOF beyond a doubt thrusts us into the realm of philosophy, which is beyond the scope of this discussion.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    Options
    lbzmse wrote: »
    New at this ? Please give me advice? Testimonials etc? What’s the reason for it. Thank you in advance

Relatively new to this as well (about 4 weeks in at this point). I chose this plan because it a) works with my life regardless of if I'm working, traveling, visiting, racing, track day, etc and b) it works with my natural eating patterns.

I ended up on more of an OMAD (started out allowing a small afternoon snack), especially since I'm trying to lose. I've started tracking my calories, even with this, to ensure I'm going to hit my loss goals without going too far under on my calories (hasn't been a problem). I like a big dinner, and that tides me over for my morning workouts. Since it's all about finding something you can live with, I don't have hard and fast rules - more flexi-rules. For example, I still have my morning coffee with creamer every day. If it's a race/track weekend and I'm riding hard and a lot, I'll allow myself some extra, light, meals. If I'm meeting a friend for a lunch, then that can be my big meal that day. Etc, etc.

It boils down to CICO, and what works for you. For me, this is working great, and is saving me money and time as I only have to buy food for one type of meal, I use the food up before it goes bad, and I don't have to invest a bunch of time into shopping and meal prepping as it is WAY easier to just have my calories in one, delicious meal I don't need to overthink every little speckle of food that I'm cooking (dividing that meal into 2 additional, different meals, ends up being a lot more work for me).