Strength Training Challenge

Options

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,143 Member
    Options
    There are 3 parts to this challenge:
    1. Strength train 2-3 times per week (upper body, lower body and abs)
    2. Set a goal that pushes you
    3. Share and try out new moves

Here's a preliminary plan----continue to do Leslie Sansone 3X a week which includes core work and lower body (leg work).

Adds:
    Workouts from AllFitness TV (depending on availability since I don't know how often they change these)
    * Body Target 60: Arm Target
    * Body Target 60: Butt Target
    * Body Target 60: Core Target
    * Brand New Butt Sculpt (includes buns, thighs, and arm work)
    * Brand New Butt Pilates (includes buns, thighs, and arm work)

Today I did Leslie Sansone, Body Target 60 Arm Target, one plank (just 1 minute 45 seconds), wall push-ups, bicep curls, and squats.

Feeling pretty good. Best wishes to everyone.

Lin in Central Iowa
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lin for the idea of using the Leslie Sanson DVD to get me started on this challenge. She has a different area workout after each walking session. That will be my start. I also am using the Toned Arms in 10 Days book to work on my upper arms. I'm interested in planks and will research them tomorrow. I also need to Just get Started.
    Sue in TX
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,975 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: My first goal is to do my simple strength training routine twice a week and maybe three times.
    I wore my ten pound ankle weights while I did everything and it made it much simpler. I do pushups and triceps pushups with my hands on the seat of a heavy chair. A plank with 10 pounds on each ankle is an interesting challenge but probably won’t lend itself easily to the variation that Jodios suggested so maybe I’ll try that soon without the weights. I do plie squats with weights…..heavier weight to move the weight from between my knees while squatting up to shoulder high when standing and lighter weight to bring the weight overhead and then bend elbows to lower weight behind my head to work triceps ……other exercises are seated knee extensions, warrior 3 pose, and one leg calf raise. Because I walk over 18,000 steps a day, I wanted more emphasis on abs and upper body.

:flowerforyou: I am very excited that I completed the routine today and realized how easy it can be to let other things get in the way……it will require discipline on my part to do this regularly.

:flowerforyou: Tomorrow will be a rest day and then I’ll repeat this routine on Monday.

:flowerforyou: Janie, planks are great and starting with a short one and gradually adding time is a super goal. I started them about two years ago so I can hold one a lot longer now than when I started.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • linder4866
    Options
    Hello friends - I did core work (including a glute workout) today.

I don't know if I'll run across any new moves but a couple I haven't done for a long time,
    * Jump squats
    * Deep squats with side twists

Be stronger today than you were yesterday.

Lin in Central Iowa
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Hooray for me, I started strength training. Researched planks and tried one. I held it for 29 sec. I don't know if that is good or bad but it is where I am. Will do again on Tuesday. Are you suppose to do them everyday? Also did leg routine using the exercises in Strong Women Stay Young. Used 5 lb ankle weights.
    I found a leg exercise on Utube and I did 25 of thoses. Kick touching toes and side lift then change sides. They recommended 50 however I modified it and did 5 at a time then walked in between. Got 25 reps in. I feel proud of myself for finally getting off the couch and doing something.
    Sue in TX
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Sue, I did a plank a day for a long time and have decided now to give myself a rest day between strenuous weight related exercises........so my new strength training routine has two planks and maybe I'll do three sometime in the future, but only do them as part of the strength training routine.

:heart: Barbie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Is Sunday the first day of the week or the last? I just did plank #3, and held it 8 seconds longer than the last time.:bigsmile: I am woman, hear me roar!
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Today is day 2 of my new strength training resolution. Today I timed the routine to see how it compared time-wise to what I had been doing before (I’ve kept a record in a little notebook) and it was approximately the same amount of time. I got very excited that I was holding the plank longer now than I was in April when I last did strength training, then I realized that I was wearing heavier weights on my ankles before, so there’s really no comparison.

:flowerforyou: I have resisted the impulse to increase the ankle weights and instead did the exercises that used the weights a little slower to up the challenge. I tend to want to race ahead and not be patient.

:flowerforyou: I hope the rest of you are finding time for your strength training and finding it satisfying.

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1433479le3q4a7az6.gif

2157045gp85zev8ri.gif 2157045gp85zev8ri.gif2157045gp85zev8ri.gif
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Did my strength training for today including the standing abs workout. I have used the step in the gym, but this is the first time I tried it with weights. Adds a whole new dimension! Feels good!! I also completed week one day one of couch25k. I finished it out with 40 more minutes of walking. (I usually try to walk for one hour.) Off for a shower. I truly need it!!

Deb A in CNY
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    First, I need a baseline..........so to begin with what I can do right now here at home, just using body weight::

Plank..............held 2&1/2 min; on forearms, which the people at the gym told me is harder than straight arm (I didn't realize there would be any diff. in difficulty)..........will try to inc. 10 seconds by months end.......would like to be able to do one of those side planks but think that will always be just a dream as I sag terribly when I try and not sure side is advisable with my osteoporisis and L4-5 disc issue
    Chair Dips............20........go up to 25
    pushups on side of tub..............9.......maybe work up to 12, or even 10
    " " " " kitchen sink.............25.......aim for 30

I do machines at the gym and have written down reps and weights to keep track of total weight lifted for the elephant challenge but I didn't write down what machine matches each; guess I must do that next time there. With dd home a couple weeks, gym time will be irregular.
    I have weights at home up to 20lbs and also kettlebells and dvd for that work-out. There's also some kind of home gym thing in the garage that my dh uses; I can investigate that too. I know I have a book on women lifting here somewhere; problem is finding it.
  • linder4866
    Options
    Core work today and upper body work from Cathe: Muscle Max DVD (appropriately from the HardCore Series). For me this is a tough workout. I think I'll stick with it!

Be stronger today than you were yesterday. 1882472y9tjxbczxe.gif

Lin in Central Iowa
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I would call today functional strength training :smile: My DD and I moved her into the house she is sharing with some fellow students. She is the newest in so is up on the third flour. We did a lot of heavy lifting first unloading all her stuff and then getting it up to her bedroom. We moved in a bed, dresser, bookshelf, desk and file cabinet plus suitcases. We have more to lug up tomorrow (e.g. all her books and art supplies) but I definitely got a work out! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I'll get back to my more formal program on Thursday.

Have a great evening, Jodios:smile::love: :heart: :bigsmile:
  • dscmom
    dscmom Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would love to join you all :-) I started strength training over the weekend and just now say this challenge.
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    My first workout with a personal trainer will be this Thursday. Meanwhile I continue to do the machines in the condo gym. I leave on Friday for 9 nights so will take dvd of Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown. She has a combination of planks and side planks that are very challenging for me. My pipedream is to be work up to the point where it's easy. :wink:

Rori in the Colorado Foothills
  • terrimag
    terrimag Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Monday…upper body & ab’s
    Plank…beginning (on 8/7) was 22.68, today (8/12) my time is 35.94 seconds
    I’m also working on beginning bicep curls and triceps.
    Terri
  • linder4866
    Options
    Tuesday - lower body work and core. Cathe F. workout again. The sweat is literally pouring off me!!! Hard work!:bigsmile:

1023836bwwygxisuz.jpg
    <Cute and fluffy!>

Be stronger today than you were yesterday.

Lin in Central Iowa
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I went to yoga and the gym. I had lots of exercise, to put it mildly. I showed a slight weight gain today, despite being well under my calorie goal. I think I have a pretty good idea why mfp doesn't award exercise calories for strength training. It seems to encourage water retention in the muscle cells. I consider strength an additional health goal, and it is worth the temporary weight. So far, so good. Today's Plank: one minute, fifteen seconds.:smile:
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    side of tub push ups................14..............up from 9
    kitchen sink push ups.................27..............up from 25
    plank........................................2min 10 sec........down from 2m 30 sec.
    chair dips................................30...........up from 20

So, I lost ground on the plank and gained a little on the others; not sure why. Maybe the order was different? If anyone else tries these as an alternative exercise, just make sure you plant your feet in the same place each time on the push ups.

jodios.......tried to swing my leg out on a plank.........not a pretty sight!!!
  • jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    yanniejannie - lol. you tried the step out and that's what matters. what is a kitchen sink push up?and a side tub?

tomorrow I'm suppose to strength train but I checked out the fitness center here at my hotel and they only have 1 5 lb dumbbell and a10 lb and then the next is a set of 15lbers. no machines. I'm going to have to get creative - I don't think I'm ready for 15 lbs yet so I'll have to get creative...maybe more exercises that use my own body weight????

Lin - first off I love the picture. I've always wanted to try a Cathe DVD but frankly I've been scared - she seems so tough and now your description makes be even more scared!!!

Rori - let us know how it goes with the trainer...I honestly don't know how you do all your business travel - its reaping havoc on my eating and exercise routine!!!

Keep pumping iron ladies!

Jodios
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Today is day 3 of my new strength training resolution. I did almost exactly the same routine as before. Finding a routine that works is important for me before I make any changes.

:flowerforyou: I slowed down my squats and lifts to make them more challenging but next time I'll add another pound to my ankle weights

:flowerforyou: yanniejannie, what are chair dips?

:smile: :smile: about planks, I think it makes a difference how much you weigh and for me, it makes a difference that I have 10 pound weights on my ankles...my two planks this week were 2:40 each.

:flowerforyou: Katla, when I used a HRM, i figured out a calorie burn for my strength training workout and I use that now.

:flowerforyou: Jodios, I can't move my legs out and in while wearing ankle weights :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1433479le3q4a7az6.gif

2157045gp85zev8ri.gif 2157045gp85zev8ri.gif2157045gp85zev8ri.gif
    [/quote]