Is 5 2 just a fad?

Options

Replies

• Flabulousss
    Options
    I feel like I'm losing brain cells at this point... Can we all just agree 5:2 isn't for everyone, so if you don't like it you don't have to worry about it? It's obviously working great for a lot of people... Personally, I don't take much advice from people who are more concerned about being right than they are about my success.

I will never understand why counting every single morsel that goes into my mouth every single day, for a mere 500 calorie daily deficit, for the sake of a single lost pound over the course of 7 days, is any more sane or sustainable than simply counting up to 500 twice a week. I rarely ever feel hungry. I feel quite good and happy. My appetite is reduced. It was either 5:2 or keep gaining weight, because there was no way I wanted to calorie count 24/7 ever again. It obviously works for me, as it does for others. If it doesn't sound appealing to you, don't do it. Personally, I genuinely have enjoyed fasting and don't want to do anything else.

The most important thing I've experienced on 5:2 is that my relationship with food is improving. The problem with most diets is that you spend 7 days a week following the rules, and yet never get to look at the big picture and just be normal. Conversely, the problem with making subtle changes over time is that the scale hardly ever moves, and you may want to give up. With 5:2, you have 5 days a week to think about making sensible healthy choices. Combine this with fasting and you get to make subtle improvements *while* seeing results on the scale. I think it is the most simple and psychologically sound plan I have found so far, but that's just my experience. As always, others may benefit more from other methods...
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Bless you. A marathon a day, and still hilarious.
    The marathon is a long-distance running event with an official distance of 42.195 kilometres

50063 steps taken today

46.18 km traveled today

What was that? Would you like to see every day's results?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There is evidence if you'd care to look for it. I'm sick of posting the links to studies (the "science" you're looking for) on the subject. I've done it time and again only to have them ignored in favour of belligerent ignorance. I don't personally care if you choose to educate yourself but I do take issue with people calling "mumbo jumbo" when, in fact, they mean "too lazy to learn something new before shooting my mouth off".

There is a post in the 5:2 group called "links to clinical trials" if you actually care (I suspect you've already made up your mind, however).

i have looked. and no, there is no credible evidence it is more effective than a regular calorie deficit.

Well then call me evidence.

Stuck at 60kg since November last year, despite staying at a deficit, despite working out daily as usual. Not even 100g would go from the scale. No size either.

Start 4:3 (5:2 with an extra fast day a week) and BANG..... off comes 4kg in a month. Less working out (well still daily but not as intense) and eating my TDEE 3 days a week. Lost size, lost weight & gained my life back. No longer obsessed with calorie counting & can eat like a normal person & still lose weight.......

Funny how that never happened eating a deficit each day.

BTW people eating a deficit don't need to defend how they eat.... yet for some reason people on 5:2 do? I can't understand why people who are not willing to open their minds or just STFU care what others do. If it's not forced upon you then why do you care? You are not being told THIS is what you have to do. We're not making you do anything.

N=1 is not evidence.

its cause you werent at a deficit. You were miscounting.

Really? Miscounting by about 1000 calories a day then I guess. Funny that.... I eat the same now as I did then, log the same & still do the same workout for just as long & burn the same amount....... I'm losing weight...... guess I'm still miscounting & should start eating like everyone else on MFP.
    You eat the same? But before you were at a deficit and now you're at TDEE or fasting, obviously you can't be eating the same. And if you are, then you must have been eating at TDEE and not a deficit.

But I'm not eating at TDEE at all. In fact I'm eating exactly the same as I was before starting 4:3. No difference, if anything I'm eating more than TDEE cause I eat back exercise as well on TDEE

But then nobody has to defend their WOE to you or anyone else.
    Don't you understand that you can't be eating exactly the same if you are switching from a deficit to TDEE? If you're eating exactly the same that means the same exact macros and calories. So you were either eating at TDEE and not at a deficit before, you're completely clueless as to what you're talking about, or you're just lying/trolling.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Oh noes! Lying? Say it ain't so. Because i was planning to emulate the 3 day full fast, daily 4 hour marathon walking miracle myself. She just is so inspiring!
  • alibabs65
    Options
    I feel like I'm losing brain cells at this point... Can we all just agree 5:2 isn't for everyone, so if you don't like it you don't have to worry about it? It's obviously working great for a lot of people... Personally, I don't take much advice from people who are more concerned about being right than they are about my success.

I will never understand why counting every single morsel that goes into my mouth every single day, for a mere 500 calorie daily deficit, for the sake of a single lost pound over the course of 7 days, is any more sane or sustainable than simply counting up to 500 twice a week. I rarely ever feel hungry. I feel quite good and happy. My appetite is reduced. It was either 5:2 or keep gaining weight, because there was no way I wanted to calorie count 24/7 ever again. It obviously works for me, as it does for others. If it doesn't sound appealing to you, don't do it. Personally, I genuinely have enjoyed fasting and don't want to do anything else.

The most important thing I've experienced on 5:2 is that my relationship with food is improving. The problem with most diets is that you spend 7 days a week following the rules, and yet never get to look at the big picture and just be normal. Conversely, the problem with making subtle changes over time is that the scale hardly ever moves, and you may want to give up. With 5:2, you have 5 days a week to think about making sensible healthy choices. Combine this with fasting and you get to make subtle improvements *while* seeing results on the scale. I think it is the most simple and psychologically sound plan I have found so far, but that's just my experience. As always, others may benefit more from other methods...

This is my experience too I just feel normal and enjoy my food on my non-fast days and on the fasting days I'm never totally starving. My weight was sticking when I was on 1200 calories 24/7 and in the two weeks I have been on 5:2 I have lost 1.5lb each week which is a nice healthy weight loss just hope it continues.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Oh noes! Lying? Say it ain't so. Because i was planning to emulate the 3 day full fast, daily 4 hour marathon walking miracle myself. She just is so inspiring!

Hmmm... you both started in 2011 but she has half of your post count. Maybe she's just spending more time out there walking rather than playing keyboard warrior.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Shhh...don't tell me I started in 2011.... I was here for a while but didn't do anything till Feb 2012 :grumble: I got my kick in the *kitten* then, for some reason though it took 3 months???:embarassed:
  • Minks_esposa
    Options
    Pinkrayne also walks 26 miles in 4 hours, 7 days a week. She's incredible.

*scratches head* lol

OP I think it's a fad and all the "benefits" derived from this diet can be achieved from any diet that causes a calorie deficit. IMO the benefits come from losing weight
  • LibertyChamp
    LibertyChamp Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Ditto, Ditto, and Ditto in a big way! I could not agree more and I just got through my goal today for the first time! :bigsmile:
  • LibertyChamp
    Options
    Shhh...don't tell me I started in 2011.... I was here for a while but didn't do anything till Feb 2012 :grumble: I got my kick in the *kitten* then, for some reason though it took 3 months???:embarassed:

Pinkraynedrop, your weight loss is pretty amazing and inspiring. Do you have any before and after pics? You have lost just about the equivalent of my wife's weight, amazing! I know you don't pay attention to the meanies and the cynics.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    There is evidence if you'd care to look for it. I'm sick of posting the links to studies (the "science" you're looking for) on the subject. I've done it time and again only to have them ignored in favour of belligerent ignorance. I don't personally care if you choose to educate yourself but I do take issue with people calling "mumbo jumbo" when, in fact, they mean "too lazy to learn something new before shooting my mouth off".

There is a post in the 5:2 group called "links to clinical trials" if you actually care (I suspect you've already made up your mind, however).

i have looked. and no, there is no credible evidence it is more effective than a regular calorie deficit.

Well then call me evidence.

Stuck at 60kg since November last year, despite staying at a deficit, despite working out daily as usual. Not even 100g would go from the scale. No size either.

Start 4:3 (5:2 with an extra fast day a week) and BANG..... off comes 4kg in a month. Less working out (well still daily but not as intense) and eating my TDEE 3 days a week. Lost size, lost weight & gained my life back. No longer obsessed with calorie counting & can eat like a normal person & still lose weight.......

Funny how that never happened eating a deficit each day.

BTW people eating a deficit don't need to defend how they eat.... yet for some reason people on 5:2 do? I can't understand why people who are not willing to open their minds or just STFU care what others do. If it's not forced upon you then why do you care? You are not being told THIS is what you have to do. We're not making you do anything.

N=1 is not evidence.

its cause you werent at a deficit. You were miscounting.

Really? Miscounting by about 1000 calories a day then I guess. Funny that.... I eat the same now as I did then, log the same & still do the same workout for just as long & burn the same amount....... I'm losing weight...... guess I'm still miscounting & should start eating like everyone else on MFP.
    You eat the same? But before you were at a deficit and now you're at TDEE or fasting, obviously you can't be eating the same. And if you are, then you must have been eating at TDEE and not a deficit.

But I'm not eating at TDEE at all. In fact I'm eating exactly the same as I was before starting 4:3. No difference, if anything I'm eating more than TDEE cause I eat back exercise as well on TDEE

But then nobody has to defend their WOE to you or anyone else.
    Don't you understand that you can't be eating exactly the same if you are switching from a deficit to TDEE? If you're eating exactly the same that means the same exact macros and calories. So you were either eating at TDEE and not at a deficit before, you're completely clueless as to what you're talking about, or you're just lying/trolling.

is this what it looked like when you guys stomped me? because it's hilarious.

of course 5-2 is a fad.
  • LibertyChamp
    Options
    Wrong! A fad would denote that it's popularity fades. 5:2 popularity is increasing like wildfire!
    You can not call it a fad until it fades in popularity. Examples of fad diets are: Atkins diet, cabbage soup diet, and tapeworm diet. They got some notoriety and now they are footnotes. By definition you guys calling it that is incorrect. It is possible in the future this might be true, but it is not so now. I suppose you are looking into your crystal balls when you say that, so please tell us what stock to buy so that we may benefit from your prognostications, oh great clairvoyant ones! :tongue:
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options

THANK YOU! You are better explaining that I am! That is exactly how I feel!

In less than two months I've lost half of my goal weight (I am on normal BMI so the kgs that I lose are sweat and blood, sweat and blood!), I have two friends (who stopped seeing me for about two weeks) telling me that I've lost weight, old jeans fit me again, I have energy for exercising AND I can eat out with friends twice or three times a week with no issues or gaining weight whatsoever...

I know it's not doable for everyone, but going and coming in this discussion is Stupid... Why don't we all agree to disagree and let those people who are considering the 5:2 decide for themselves? It will make them good to do their research, maybe try once and if it doesn't work, it doesn't work and move on..

LET IT GO PEOPLE! Discussing in an internet forum doesn't burn calories (and no, it doesn't mean that the calories burn here can be eaten back).
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Wrong! A fad would denote that it's popularity fades. 5:2 popularity is increasing like wildfire!
    You can not call it a fad until it fades in popularity. Examples of fad diets are: Atkins diet, cabbage soup diet, and tapeworm diet. They got some notoriety and now they are footnotes. By definition you guys calling it that is incorrect. It is possible in the future this might be true, but it is not so now. I suppose you are looking into your crystal balls when you say that, so please tell us what stock to buy so that we may benefit from your prognostications, oh great clairvoyant ones! :tongue:
    Oo

and, as with all things in fitness, while popularity of a particular diet may "increase like wildfire", it too will fade as some other BRAND NEW WEIGHTLOSS TRICK comes out.

'tis the way this all works.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

People still do Atkins, cabbage soup, the lemonade cleanse, wheat belly, etc, and they're no different than 5:2. It's just the newest one catching on like wildfire until the next big thing comes along. Some people will still stick with it, some new people will try it but for the most part it will fade away as the next fabulous weight loss secret is revealed. I don't need a crystal ball to know that.
  • LibertyChamp
    Options
    Oo

and, as with all things in fitness, while popularity of a particular diet may "increase like wildfire", it too will fade as some other BRAND NEW WEIGHTLOSS TRICK comes out.

Weight training, Running, cycling, swimming are all examples of things in fitness that have not faded. Sorry Coach :frown:
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Oo

Weight training, Running, cycling, swimming are all examples of things in fitness that have not faded. Sorry Coach :frown:

... ah.

well if you're comparing 5:2 to running, then nothing I can say will change your mind. Have a good one!
  • LibertyChamp
    Options
    Oo

... ah.

well if you're comparing 5:2 to running, then nothing I can say will change your mind. Have a good one!
    I'm not the one comparing, please see above, "as with all things in fitness"
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It is not a fad, Dr Michael Mosely has been doing it for over 10 years, and it was he who made the TV programme that triggered the recent interest

Ir is not a diet plan, it is aimed at health, weight loss is a by product

There are 5.2 groups on here, have a search & take your pick

How can not eating for two days be healty? All of your vital organs, especially your brain and heart need consistant nourishment to functioin properly. Give me break.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Oo

... ah.

I'm not the one comparing, please see above, "as with all things in fitness"

hmm, here I was reading the rest of my sentence that continues "while popularity of a particular diet may increase..."

but sure, whatever you need to tell yourself. Maybe I was comparing 5:2 to running and just didn't know it myself.