Is 5 2 just a fad?

Options

Replies

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    If it works for someone else, more power to them. Most definately not for everyone though

Thank you! I wish more could at least have that "live and let live" attitude rather than constantly trying to talk people out of something that evidently works for them and makes them feel good.

I do 5:2 and have never struggled for energy. My weight loss has been steady, not yoyod. I still exercise, even on fast days. I sleep like a baby since I started 5:2 and my eating on non-fast days has become much more intuitive, no more boredom munching etc.

It works for me. I like it. I'm an adult.

It's a bit insulting when someone who you have never had a conversation with in all your life just toddles along dismissing your experience, saying it's all a load of unsustainable tosh.
  • Kazmerelda
    Kazmerelda Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have heard of some people feeling queasy the next day, but it's never happened to me, thankfully, but I tend to eat healthily anyway. I'm not sure what you mean specifically by calorie-rich...

Well I had a dirty pizza hehe, rather than just a usual day with lots of vegetables and lean meats.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I had to fast all the time when I was pregnant, only water for 2 days, and no one was concerned then.

based off of your profile information you had alot of excess energy in your body to do something like this(No offense but thats the truth).

There are certain guidelines for a BMI classified obese woman and how much weight she should gain during pregnancy.
  • Kazmerelda
    Kazmerelda Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have asked this before, but didn't get a response on another thread :).

I have to say I am not sure it is a fad, I mean as an ex cathoic we used to fast at certain times of the day/during certain festivals so this is no different.

However did anyone get quite nasty stomach symptoms from it? The first time I fasted, I did have calorie rich foods the next day so I blamed my stomach upset on that. Every time after that I always had an incredibly bad upset stomach the next day and for sometimes up to 2 days after.

I have stopped doing it because of this, although I felt less bloated etc. I worried I was losing the weight as I would be left with food poisoning style symptoms for a while and didn;t think this was particularly healthy.

My old roommate tried every fad diet that comes out (mostly our of curiousity) and occasionally I will go "meh" and try it with her. 500 calorie days left us both with a headache and low energy and the day(s) afterward we would have stomach issue's as well.

If it works for someone else, more power to them. Most definately not for everyone though

Sorry you had issues too.

I know many people whom have done it and they have done so well. I have to say I do like the idea of cleansing my body. I also did get inventive with food.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Those 2 days? I call them "salad days" to my RL friends who I'm too lazy to explain this.

LOL I do the same... :laugh:

Me too :laugh:
  • English_Edd
    English_Edd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It appears to me as others have said that it's just a way of reducing the average weekly intake but that the calorie drop is in 2 days of the week. I couldnt do it, I would end up eating more on the days straight after the fast.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    It appears to me as others have said that it's just a way of reducing the average weekly intake but that the calorie drop is in 2 days of the week. I couldnt do it, I would end up eating more on the days straight after the fast.

I thought that would happen to me, I've actually found that I don't overeat on the "feeding" days, the 5:2 has shown me just how much I used to overeat prior to starting the change in my lifestyle/diet.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    It is not a fad, Dr Michael Mosely has been doing it for over 10 years, and it was he who made the TV programme that triggered the recent interest

Ir is not a diet plan, it is aimed at health, weight loss is a by product

There are 5.2 groups on here, have a search & take your pick

its a fad diet that is not sustainable for the average person

Why is that?

If you follow the instructions to the dot, you find that your weekly deficit is exactly the same as the one marked by MFP. The only difference is that instead of choosing to create a deficit 7 days a week, you choose to do it on 2 days.

Those 2 days? I call them "salad days" to my RL friends who I'm too lazy to explain this. I basically eat salads with LF dressing and egg white omelette by dinner. I'm not starving. But this way, if I go out to lunch with my friends (as today), I won't have to worry too much about eating out and the secret oil and eating salads every single day. When you travel so much, and you have so much time to explore different countries and cultures.. well.. this way of deficit works much better!

Probably it'd be differnet if I stayed at home all day (as for me, being busy helps a lot).

Overall, I've lost around 5 - 6 kilos in one month and a half (I exercise though) and I still enjoy eating out.

So yeah.. truly it is a fad.. Just like MFP method I guess.
    yea because MFP restricts 2 days out of the week for you.

The average person's lifestyle does not function like that. Most people cant sustain a diet such as that. You just started the diet and you only been on it for a month.

My point exactly. You have no room to talk about why its sustainable.

And you have no room to talk about why it isn't.

You don't like the sound of it. Fine. We got that. Your opinion is just that, opinion. Thanks for your input.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The average person's lifestyle does not function like that. Most people cant sustain a diet such as that. You just started the diet and you only been on it for a month.
    My point exactly. You have no room to talk about why its sustainable.

So can I talk about it being sustainable as I've been doing it for a year? :smile:
    For initial weight loss and at maintenance. Fits really well into my lifestyle and exercise regime.

BTW - in the past what I didn't find sustainable was restricting calories every single day.
  • jetlag
    Options

Actually, the evidence is to the contrary. Even on ADF (every other day is a calorie restricted day) people only ate a maximum 125% of "normal" calories and often less. Typically, on 5:2, people are reporting that their appetite decreases. I can actually, for the first time in my life, willingly leave food on my plate when I'm full. I can't eat anything like the quantity of food I used to and I don't actually want to. I still eat the same food, and I still have treats, just not every day and nothing like the quantities.

It has literally changed my life. I'm just sorry it doesn't work for everyone, but contrary to popular belief, we ARE unique snowflakes and what you can live with won't necessarily work for me and counting calories every day for the rest of my life does NOT work for me. Period. To me, that is not sustainable. I've tried it, for years and years and this is the first thing that's worked consistently. I've just hit my 65 day logging record. I've NEVER done that and I've been a member since 2010. I've never maintained any lifestyle change longer than 2 weeks, other than quitting smoking.

So, to the other people (not the quoted guy above) who have never tried it and who are too close minded to accept that there is more than one path, can bleat on and on about what is sustainable for me, but they don't know *kitten* about me and what I can live with.

You do you, let others do themselves. Express your opinion, because that's all it is, then MOVE ON and let others make up their own minds without your poisonous influence.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Actually, the evidence is to the contrary. Even on ADF (every other day is a calorie restricted day) people only ate a maximum 125% of "normal" calories and often less. Typically, on 5:2, people are reporting that their appetite decreases. I can actually, for the first time in my life, willingly leave food on my plate when I'm full. I can't eat anything like the quantity of food I used to and I don't actually want to. I still eat the same food, and I still have treats, just not every day and nothing like the quantities.

That's my experience too.

I have never overeaten after a fast day. Never felt the need. Just no urge to do so. Feel full - Stop eating - that's it. Nice.
  • jetlag
    Options
    P.S. From October 2010 when I joined, to Jun 2013 when I started 5:2, I managed to lose a grand total of 8 lbs, 8 measly pounts in 2.5 years, which I lost and regained and lost and regained and lost and regained trying to count calories every day and failing, because I would ditch "the diet" for months and months at a time because it was just not sustainable to count every single calories that passed my lips every day for the rest of my life.

Since June 2013 I have lost the remainder of the weight, which to date is 21 lbs. And I have NO intention of stopping. I harbour NO thoughts of giving up this lifestyle. Because it works and I can live with it because I only religiously count 2 days a week, roughly count 3 days a week (and can eat as much as 2300 calories a day) and don't count AT ALL 2 days a week.

Yeah, I can live with that.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    It migh work for some but I cannot see myself eating like that for the rest of my life, if I can't see it being long term I don't bother.
  • missems1
    missems1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've been 5:2'ing since the first of Jan. I lost all of the extra momma weight (three kids worth :wink: ) that I wanted to lose after about 6 weeks (I only really had about 14lbs to lose). I've been doing a mixture of 5:2 and 6:1 since then and have mainly managed to maintain (but have lost an extra few pounds) here and there.

When I first started this 'diet' I had it in my head that I'd just do it until I lost the extra weight, nearly 9 months later I'm still doing it. It sounds totally mad to someone that doesn't do 5:2 but you do actively look forward to fast days after a week of normal eating and I personally feel great after one. My IBS is better, my periods are more regular and I'm slimmer.

The 5:2 preachers that claimed 'its a way of life' would totally do my head in and I vowed not to become like them but I totally have. It fits into my life perfectly and I feel great. I'm now slightly slimmer than before even getting pregnant with my first. For me personally, its totally sustainable and I'm happy to carry on this way.

It does sound like a fad, maybe it is a fad but I'm happy with my fad diet.
  • jetlag
    Options
    Well said, missems
    It migh work for some but I cannot see myself eating like that for the rest of my life, if I can't see it being long term I don't bother.

Which is exactly why I don't try to live on a daily deficit. I've tried it. It doesn't work for me.
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options

That's my experience too.

I have never overeaten after a fast day. Never felt the need. Just no urge to do so. Feel full - Stop eating - that's it. Nice.

Same here!

At first, I "needed" to eat breakfast, I "needed" to eat dinner.. And now, I just don't eat if I'm not hungry and I eat if I'm hungry. I also appreciate the good things in life, like chocolate, cheese, bread, because I eat them when I want to and I feel like doing it. IIFYM is much easier for me now than before.

Carb - free diet for me was a yo yo diet because I always gained those kilos again. And honestly, forever counting 1200 calories or 1300 calories or whatever is a pain when you eat out almost every day!! (and yes, sometimes I have to do that because I don't live at home, I travel a lot and I move across countries a lot!).

Is it difficult? Yes. Is it for everyone? Probably not.

But don't be judgy pants if you just wouldn't be able to eat 500 cals a day (which is basically two BIG salads for lunch and dinner!). Energy? I go to the gym every single day, without any question or doubt. I have more energy than ever!
  • MsPudding
    MsPudding Posts: 562 Member
    Options

My Mother has been fasting one day a week for years. She's 5ft2 and in her adult life (she's now 70) her weight has stayed between 105-112 pounds so she's never dieted. She fasts one day a week because she believes it's natural to 'give your body a break' - so on that day she eats a couple of salads and has no alcohol. She's never read 5:2 or any other diet book, it's simply intuitive for her.

Clearly it's sustainable for her....and there are many, many people around the world who've never heard of 5:2 or any of the other published variations of fasting....and yet they fast for their health. Odd that.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

My Mother has been fasting one day a week for years. She's 5ft2 and in her adult life (she's now 70) her weight has stayed between 105-112 pounds so she's never dieted. She fasts one day a week because she believes it's natural to 'give your body a break' - so on that day she eats a couple of salads and has no alcohol. She's never read 5:2 or any other diet book, it's simply intuitive for her.

Clearly it's sustainable for her....and there are many, many people around the world who've never heard of 5:2 or any of the other published variations of fasting....and yet they fast for their health. Odd that.

Was it you who, some time ago put up a photo of your mum and she looked 50ish, not 70. May have been someone else with similar story. When/whoever it was was a lightbulb moment for me. I'd been looking for a way to get off calorie counting and I knew I needed days like your mum too but how to structure it was my problem.

If I've learnt anything on MFP, it's to fully understand something before you dismiss it.
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options

That is amazing!
  • missems1
    missems1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Your Mum sounds ace! :)