Is 5 2 just a fad?

Options

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Because "fast" is just a name applied to this way of eating, it's not a very strict fasting approach.

The research carried out by Dr Mosley suggested that "about a quarter" of one's normal (ie maintenance) intake was a good ceiling to still get the benefits of fasting without going hard core. So roughly 2000 on normal days for females, 25% of that is 500.

All figures are approximations.
  • vet272
    vet272 Posts: 183
    Options
    I've just followed a few of the links. Research seems to be saying that its the weightloss that contributes to lowering of cancer risks. Isn't that what standard calorie counting achieves?
    I'm the OP. I remain confused :ohwell:
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I've just followed a few of the links. Research seems to be saying that its the weightloss that contributes to lowering of cancer risks. Isn't that what standard calorie counting achieves?

There is a theory that high IGF-1 is linked to increased cancer risk and faster ageing
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15562834
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin-like_growth_factor_1

There is also a theory that the 5:2 regime (or 6:1 for those on maintenance) lowers IGF-1 when in combination with moderate (as opposed to excessive) protein intake.

It's not a secret that the jury's out on whether the 5:2 regime is ACTUALLY good for preventing cancer and slowing ageing. Anyone who tries it should know that the theories are unproven at the moment, but many people find doing the diet isn't hard and helps weight loss too. Plus we get a bonus if they are shown to be correct! :smile:

It's not compulsory - if you don't want to do 5:2 that's fine, don't do it. There are plenty of other weight loss strategies that work too. I find it easy to do - I went back (briefly) to eating the same number of calories plus most of my exercise calories but am back on 5:2 because it's very flexible and suits me.
  • vet272
    Options
    I'm going to give it a try I think. Thanks for everyone's input
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give it a try I think. Thanks for everyone's input

I'm glad that between us all we persuaded you to give it a try. Most people find the first couple of fasts are harder but you acclimatise to feeling hungry sometimes and find that it passes, comes back again, then passes.

I found the important thing is to plan what you're going to eat. Some people have breakfast and dinner, others skip breakfast and have lunch and dinner, some just have dinner and others have several small snacks. Try and see what works for you.

I've found the one activity I REALLY CANNOT DO on fast days is food shopping! I just fall on all the lovely goodies I'm supposed to be putting away and can't help eating some of them!! :grumble:

If you try it for a couple of weeks and find it doesn't suit you, no problems, there are plenty of ways of shedding unwanted pounds and this is just one of them. I've been off it a couple of times and come back again as it's so simple.

There are plenty of threads with tips, meal suggestions and so on - search for 5:2 and join the group on here.

Good luck.
  • vet272
    Options
    I've just found the 5 2 forum. Seems very informative with some great ideas. Thanks again
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    ITT: Lots of placebo effect and people associating health improvements with the VLC days and alternating calories...when in fact it is just because they're losing adipose tissue and exercising.

Seriously, people. If you are in a caloric deficit at the end of the week, you will lose fat. If you exercise, you will improve your health. The hormonal changes that occur in 24 hours of a VLC diet amount to glycogen depletion. You won't even release cortisol at that point. Your nails and hair are dead cells that have been extruded from pores. Your IBS won't flare up if you aren't putting food in your gut.

It's not even actual fasting. You are still providing calories and on your high days you are replenishing your glycogen. It's just a way to make you feel like you've done something 'different' because eating less and moving more just isn't fancy enough. You'd get the same rapid weight loss from, say, keto or Atkins.

Yes it is a fad because it is glorified binging and fasting.

I'm not as well knowledged as you on the physiological aspects of the human body. I thought I'd read that if you were to eat just one meal on a fast day then it was better to do it at lunch or dinner due to something to do with a lower cortisol levels later in the day.. Is this the case? Just curious.

And, I'll admit, to some degree this fancy method is keeping me interested in reaching a goal. Cos otherwise, I was ready to kiss it goodbye.

It is simply arranging my calorie deficit in a way that currently suits my lifestyle. However, I see people who don't understand that. They eat too high on high days and wonder why the "magical" low day doesn't work. They have no clue what a TDEE and no grasp of macros.

Cortisol levels won't start to peak until about 40 hours of fasting. That's a good thing, because cortisol is the main hormone that regulates protein loss from body tissues. You do not want to initiate that cascade. So, while they're right that it's better to wait until the 'end' of the fast, they are simply being cautious. If you're eating every 24 hours you will not experience any serious hormonal changes aside from high glucagon levels and then a big insulin spike when you do eat your meal. Without the insulin spike I'd theorize that this might improve insulin sensitivity, but then you are flooding the receptors when you do finally eat.

Alternate-day fasting has been around for a very long time and there are mixed reviews. If it works for you in reducing adipose tissue, eating a more nutrient-dense diet, and getting regular exercise, that's a very good thing. But eventually you will have to adapt to doing this all the time. Eating a nutritious diet and being active every day is not a 'diet'.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    ITT: Lots of placebo effect and people associating health improvements with the VLC days and alternating calories...when in fact it is just because they're losing adipose tissue and exercising.

Seriously, people. If you are in a caloric deficit at the end of the week, you will lose fat. If you exercise, you will improve your health. The hormonal changes that occur in 24 hours of a VLC diet amount to glycogen depletion. You won't even release cortisol at that point. Your nails and hair are dead cells that have been extruded from pores. Your IBS won't flare up if you aren't putting food in your gut.

It's not even actual fasting. You are still providing calories and on your high days you are replenishing your glycogen. It's just a way to make you feel like you've done something 'different' because eating less and moving more just isn't fancy enough. You'd get the same rapid weight loss from, say, keto or Atkins.

I'm not as well knowledged as you on the physiological aspects of the human body. I thought I'd read that if you were to eat just one meal on a fast day then it was better to do it at lunch or dinner due to something to do with a lower cortisol levels later in the day.. Is this the case? Just curious.

And, I'll admit, to some degree this fancy method is keeping me interested in reaching a goal. Cos otherwise, I was ready to kiss it goodbye.

It is simply arranging my calorie deficit in a way that currently suits my lifestyle. However, I see people who don't understand that. They eat too high on high days and wonder why the "magical" low day doesn't work. They have no clue what a TDEE and no grasp of macros.

Cortisol levels won't start to peak until about 40 hours of fasting. That's a good thing, because cortisol is the main hormone that regulates protein loss from body tissues. You do not want to initiate that cascade. So, while they're right that it's better to wait until the 'end' of the fast, they are simply being cautious. If you're eating every 24 hours you will not experience any serious hormonal changes aside from high glucagon levels and then a big insulin spike when you do eat your meal. Without the insulin spike I'd theorize that this might improve insulin sensitivity, but then you are flooding the receptors when you do finally eat.

Alternate-day fasting has been around for a very long time and there are mixed reviews. If it works for you in reducing adipose tissue, eating a more nutrient-dense diet, and getting regular exercise, that's a very good thing. But eventually you will have to adapt to doing this all the time. Eating a nutritious diet and being active every day is not a 'diet'.

Thanks for that..I could have googled it but on phone and thought u might still be around when I asked. Plus I don't always trust the research I find. Wish I had more time to thoroughly go through all of it rather than just snatches of it here and there. I'd read what you'd said about protein on another thread (use of steroids therefore higher intake seems effective because of amino acids) and I needed to see that. I'd been thinking my protein was a little high for the average housewife not on steroids :D but I do lift. Not as heavy as some. Anyhow I've digressed...

As a way of life for me personally the 5:2 has opened up my thinking. I actually feel freer on this than I ever have before. I look forward to the low days because they are the day that provides one goal but just as equally now I look forward to the high days for the fact that I can more easily manipulate what I eat. I now plan slightly differently than before for what I eat the high day before training and it's to improve performance. So many things I could say on a personal level for me that this method is addressing. I do see it as a way of life. As a way of not monitoring calories just nutrition. There's a flexibility to this that I wish I could covey to people that can only see hunger.

Thanks.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    On my 7th fasting day today. I fell great. I feel better on my days like this than normal days. 2pm & still only had water, I'm a tough :mad: and can make it all the way with no food. I just have that mindset. Not dizzy at all, not tired been up since 5am just cause I wanted to be) and wont go to bed till about midnight. Walked over 20km so far today (not running today cause my thighs are not letting me walk very well...a 10km run after not running since May will do that to you) and I'm pumped for the rest of my day. I'm concentrating very hard on study & designing a website. :heart:

So worth it. I love it. I wont eat till about 1pm tomorrow... and then I wont eat much anyway. I never binge.
  • LibertyChamp
    LibertyChamp Posts: 71 Member
    Options

There are a lot of people that swear by Fasted Training, that is training whilst fasting. I think part of the key is to ingest BCCA's before and after working out. This blog here notates lots of points supported by clinical studies:
    http://www.drsarasolomon.com/intermittent-fasting-fasted-training-anabolic-or-catabolic/
    And 5:2 really isn't a fast diet, just reduced cals or Locals twice per week. So far, easy peasy.
    I don't believe it is a fad. In fact, I predict that this diet or lifestyle plan will likely become the most popular method practiced by Human Beings. The popularity of it is absolutely on fire right now and seems to be growing exponentially.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

There are a lot of people that swear by Fasted Training, that is training whilst fasting. I think part of the key is to ingest BCCA's before and after working out. This blog here notates lots of points supported by clinical studies:
    http://www.drsarasolomon.com/intermittent-fasting-fasted-training-anabolic-or-catabolic/
    And 5:2 really isn't a fast diet, just reduced cals or Locals twice per week. So far, easy peasy.
    I don't believe it is a fad. In fact, I predict that this diet or lifestyle plan will likely become the most popular method practiced by Human Beings. The popularity of it is absolutely on fire right now and seems to be growing exponentially.

Yes, that's what makes it a fad. A short-lived craze. The same thing happened with low-fat, Atkins, South Beach, Paleo...none of them have become the 'most popular method practiced by human beings.' Do you realize the implications of those words? You think that toddlers suffering from Kwashiorkor in developing areas of South America are going to benefit from 5:2? No. They are living with real starvation. Ridiculous statement.

BCAAs have been shown to improve recovery with and without fasted training, but supplementing with amino acids neither increases levels of the circulating amino acid pool nor increases skeletal muscle protein synthesis without resistance training. Additionally, supplementation with specific amino acids can reduce the absorption of others because they require active transport for absorption and often compete for transporter uptake. Fasted individuals are in a more absorptive state, and actually fasted exercise studies are the reason people think it's necessary to supplement with whey post-workout. But guess what? If you're not fasted, it doesn't make a difference. Your circulating AA's will peak briefly, dip below basal levels, and then increase to basal levels.

You can find a clinical study to support ANYTHING. Exercise is good, exercise is bad, VLCD's are effective, VLCD's are dangerous, etc. etc. If the reviewer (in this case that blogger) wants to support their case, they will find supportive articles, and the opposite is also true.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

I have to say Liberty that the mention of BCCA's on there smells like endorsement to me.
  • AnnElizabeth11
    Options
    I gave this a try about a month ago, and lost about 12-15 lbs and was astounded that for a whole 2 weeks of me eating like a pig and not exercising as frequently as i was, i moved to a new house and ended up having to survive off of fast food basically for 3 days cause we didn't have our fridge, and my brothers wedding so we were busy busy busy, i didn't gain back a pound, the weight actually stayed off! I was so happy. If i had done that months ago, I would've gained back all that weight I lost. I've incorporated this now as a lifestyle, it's made me feel so much better within myself, and it's kick started me into wanting to exercise every day and eat healthier because i'm actually see results that are slowly taking effect, and the weight is staying off. Everybody says that it's unhealthy and that your putting your body into starvation mode and it's really bad for you. Truth be told, it's not. I've even asked my doctor, and my mother in law who works in the hospital, and they both said it was fine and brilliant. Give it a try, and see what it does for you, it'll change your perspective on a lot of things.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    It is not a fad, Dr Michael Mosely has been doing it for over 10 years,

I don't think he has. Seems to me he only tried it for the first time during the filming for the documentary.
  • jetlag
    Options

There is a theory that high IGF-1 is linked to increased cancer risk and faster ageing
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15562834
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulin-like_growth_factor_1

There is also a theory that the 5:2 regime (or 6:1 for those on maintenance) lowers IGF-1 when in combination with moderate (as opposed to excessive) protein intake.

It's not a secret that the jury's out on whether the 5:2 regime is ACTUALLY good for preventing cancer and slowing ageing. Anyone who tries it should know that the theories are unproven at the moment, but many people find doing the diet isn't hard and helps weight loss too. Plus we get a bonus if they are shown to be correct! :smile:

It's not compulsory - if you don't want to do 5:2 that's fine, don't do it. There are plenty of other weight loss strategies that work too. I find it easy to do - I went back (briefly) to eating the same number of calories plus most of my exercise calories but am back on 5:2 because it's very flexible and suits me.

^^^This is how I feel about it.

It's a calorie restricted way of eating that I can live with for the rest of my life, it fits easily into my lifestyle and allows me to continue to enjoy all the things I like to eat and drink. There is also evidence to suggest other health benefits.

It's also the easiest 18lbs I've ever lost, and 15 of those were fat. Effortless! And all in 8 weeks.

Seriously, I skip 2 meals twice a week (so I am fasting for 23 hours). It's not "glorified bingeing/starving". i eat 2000 calories on food days. thats hardly bingeing. Lets get some perspective.

What's the big deal? If you don't like the sound of it, don't do it. I don't like the sound of 1500 calories a day, every day, so I don't do that. Or feeling guilty for eating cake or bread or whatever.

You do you, I'll do me :-)
  • jetlag
    Options
    What exactly are the purported health benefits to this way of eating and are there any actual clinical trials proving that it works? Not for weight loss because I get how that can work but actual health benefits with scientific proof to back them up.

There's plenty of scientific evidence on the health benefits of fasting. I don't have any links but I'm sure there's a whole bunch of them if you bother to look it up yourself.

I already bothered and most of it was anecdotal evidence of people saying they "feel better" etc, not clinical studies showing any actual health benefits that wouldn't have been achieved by just plain losing some weight by any method.

I created a post in one of the 5:2 groups to store clinical trial links.
  • LibertyChamp
    Options
    oops
  • LibertyChamp
    Options
    I gave this a try about a month ago, and lost about 12-15 lbs and was astounded that for a whole 2 weeks of me eating like a pig and not exercising as frequently as i was, i moved to a new house and ended up having to survive off of fast food basically for 3 days cause we didn't have our fridge, and my brothers wedding so we were busy busy busy, i didn't gain back a pound, the weight actually stayed off! I was so happy. If i had done that months ago, I would've gained back all that weight I lost. I've incorporated this now as a lifestyle, it's made me feel so much better within myself, and it's kick started me into wanting to exercise every day and eat healthier because i'm actually see results that are slowly taking effect, and the weight is staying off. Everybody says that it's unhealthy and that your putting your body into starvation mode and it's really bad for you. Truth be told, it's not. I've even asked my doctor, and my mother in law who works in the hospital, and they both said it was fine and brilliant. Give it a try, and see what it does for you, it'll change your perspective on a lot of things.

Bravo and thanks for sharing that! :happy:
  • LibertyChamp
    Options

I have to say Liberty that the mention of BCCA's on there smells like endorsement to me.

Re: The endorsements...Yes they are there, as many successful bodybuilders find it necessary to supplement their income with endorsements and ads. However, that does not in anyway invalidate the study mentioned in the BCCA point. If you prefer here is an article that mentions the same study without any endorsements: :wink:
    http://nutrientjournal.com/the-anabolic-effects-of-bcaas/
  • vet272
    Options
    Well, I've done 3 fasts since I started this post. I'm down 4 lbs. it didn't feel like starving. Hunger came and went. I felt energetic enough to start hula hooping again lol.
    I didn't binge next days. In fact I felt full earlier. And didn't crave chocolate which I normally do.
    Early days though - we'll see....

Thanks to all for advice and input