Is 5 2 just a fad?

Options

Replies

• munchkin0518
    Options
    OMG this is EXACTLY the mentality I had! I just wanted to sleep away the whole friggin' day, wanted desperately to forget that it STILL wasn't the next day.
    I tried it after watching the BBC program a few months ago. I only managed one single day, and that was without going to work. I was utterly exhausted, had headaches, got angry, depressed, and could think of nothing but "please let it be the next day so I can eat".

I know your body has to adjust to these things- but honestly, I never would. It definitely is NOT working for me.
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Thanks stefjc! 60 is not old! I know 90 year olds that I can't keep up to and I'm not exaggerating!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    So, is there a limit to how much energy we can get from fat stored on our body?

In theory yes there is, which is potentially why excessive caloric deficits may lead to greater losses in muscle.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    What exactly are the purported health benefits to this way of eating and are there any actual clinical trials proving that it works? Not for weight loss because I get how that can work but actual health benefits with scientific proof to back them up.
  • Lemonade2013
    Options
    I read an article today that said you could do some of your fasting whilst asleep - i.e. for 2 days you eat your restricted calories between the hours of 9am and 5pm and fast from 5pm to 9am - does this fit in with the 5:2 diet I wonder?
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    What exactly are the purported health benefits to this way of eating and are there any actual clinical trials proving that it works? Not for weight loss because I get how that can work but actual health benefits with scientific proof to back them up.

They are many and varied and a lot of them are linked on various threads with quite a few earlier in this one.

A quick google will get you a lot of proper research, peer reviewed journals, if you prefer that to magazine style reports. JUDDD site, despite his supplement sales pitch, carries links and info.

But the benefits, include, but are not only, diabetes, insulin resistance, cholesterol, blood pressure, non obese subjects, obese subjects, insulin resistance, atherosclerosis, VO2max, brain metabolism, Alzheimers and much more.

Look it up, some of the studies are really odd/interesting.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I read an article today that said you could do some of your fasting whilst asleep - i.e. for 2 days you eat your restricted calories between the hours of 9am and 5pm and fast from 5pm to 9am - does this fit in with the 5:2 diet I wonder?

Restricted as in 500 cals for women on two days a week, then yes that's a variation of what we're talking about.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options

There's plenty of scientific evidence on the health benefits of fasting. I don't have any links but I'm sure there's a whole bunch of them if you bother to look it up yourself.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode doesn't kick in after 24 hours. Your body hasnt got a watch which it's looking at and going "10 minutes to go before 24 hours is up! Quick, eat something before you starve!"

Plus it's recommended to have the 2 fasting days separated by days of healthy eating - I know for myslef I make sure I get plenty of good nutrition in on those 5 days, and that's one bit of advice I give to others.

Been visiting my parents today - my sister and her husband have been 5:2ing since May. They've lost weight - slowly - but are really enjoying how this makes them feel, and getting compliments from their friends and colleagues on thier reducing waistlines.

Sis says they all know in her office when the sweets are passed round, if she says "I'll have one tomorrow!"

Pull out section with sample menus in one of today's UK Sunday papers (Express possibly?)
  • Way2slk
    Way2slk Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    So, my sister is evangelising about the results on the 5 2 plan. Is it just hype or should I give it serious consideration?
    Does it make exercising harder when calories are this restricted?

Here is an article I found:
    How to Eat Six Meals a Day for Maximum Weight Loss
    By Nivedita Raghunath, eHow Contributor

How to Eat Six Meals a Day for Maximum Weight Loss
    Eat Six Meals a Day for Maximum Weight Loss
    The theory that eating many small meals throughout the day helps weight loss is not scientifically proven. It is true that doing so increases metabolism, keeps blood sugar levels steady and, thus, helps you avoid cravings by keeping you feeling full longer. However, the old rule of "calories in = calories out" holds true. Whether you eat six small meals a day, or three, if your total calorie intake remains the same, it won't matter if you chose one eating plan over the other. For maximum weight loss with six small meals, the key is to burn more calories and eat fewer calories at the end of the day.

Instructions
    1 Split your meals in half. This is an excellent way to begin as you are starting with your original full meal, so you will not be prone to overeat. Have one half of your meal half an hour earlier than your regular mealtime, and the other half two to three hours later.

2 Snack healthy. Reduce portion sizes of breakfast, lunch and dinner, and then add a healthy snack, such a nuts, fruits or protein shakes between meals.

3 Drink plenty of water between meals. Water is not only good for health in general, it will temporarily fill you up and help you avoid food cravings.

4 Consume foods high in fiber, protein and complex carbohydrates. Fiber is the indigestible portion of plant foods. High fiber foods, especially ones with high insoluble fiber content---whole grains and vegetables such as green beans, zucchini and cauliflower---have bulking action that keeps you full longer. Complex carbohydrates are high-fiber, low sugar foods that have the same effect. Consuming protein is also known to improve satiety.

5 Avoid overeating. Eat when you're hungry and not just slightly hungry. Wait 20 minutes to see if what you're feeling is real hunger. If the last time you ate is less than three hours ago, lay your hands on a small healthy snack to keep you going until your next meal.

6 Exercise. The only way to consistently increase your basal metabolic rate, which influences how fast your body burns calories, is through exercise. Embrace an eating pattern with fewer calories at every meal and make sure to exercise regularly.

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_7806310_eat-day-maximum-weight-loss.html#ixzz2bfvl9Nli
  • CARBLEGEND
    CARBLEGEND Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    yes it is...but its here top stay...I prefer 18 :6
  • MrsFitNSexySimmons
    Options
    Fad plain and simple.

All you need is to make sure you are getting the appropriate water intake, eating veggies, whole grains, and some fruit with a day or two adding in lean meat such as chicken, ground turkey, and fish. Cut out the sugars and processed garbage that the food industry is programming people to think is healthy (that means pass up the frozen dinner isle people, sodium lurks there). Invest in good a good multivitamin and a great protein (1st Phorm Level 1 is amazing) and WORK OUT!!!

I saw it in another post and she had it correct. Slow and steady wins. Stop trying to take gobs of weight off your body at one time. The problem I see most people have here is that they restrict their calories so much and then bust out some cardio a few days a week and then do a fad diet here and there.....a healthy sustainable lifestyle is sustainable and can be extremely fulfilling when you do it correctly.

Eat foods from the produce section and a bit from the meat department. Shop minimally in the center isles for things like oats, quinoa, coconut oil, high quality olive oils, dry beans, coffee, agave....I shop 3 middle isles at most for these things. I thought for many years that eating healthy was too expensive but it is only expensive when you still try shopping the "convenience" foods that are masked as healthy.

Strength train, whether you choose machines or free weights, most days of the week and then do some HIIT 2-3 days a week. By adding weight training you will be protecting your bones against osteoporosis and osteopenia. You will also SEE the changes in your body vs waiting for the scale to tell you that you are "losing weight". By doing this 5.2 thing you are losing weight, muscle, water....you do not want to lose muscle! You want to lose fat and add/tone lean muscle.

When I realized all that I mentioned above I started to see major changes that I was not seeing when I was depriving myself. I gave up the fads, and the pills, and the potions and my body is rewarding me 10 fold every day!

BTW, I am 32 and recently diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis....since changing my thinking and the way that I eat and work out I have fewer flares of joint pain (honestly the only time I experience flares is when I take too many days off working out or give myself a "cheat" day...mind you there are also ways to have goodies here and there and make them healthy.
  • Mokey41
    Options

There's plenty of scientific evidence on the health benefits of fasting. I don't have any links but I'm sure there's a whole bunch of them if you bother to look it up yourself.

I already bothered and most of it was anecdotal evidence of people saying they "feel better" etc, not clinical studies showing any actual health benefits that wouldn't have been achieved by just plain losing some weight by any method.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options

I already bothered and most of it was anecdotal evidence of people saying they "feel better" etc, not clinical studies showing any actual health benefits that wouldn't have been achieved by just plain losing some weight by any method.

There have been many many scientific studies about the benefits of fasting and there's this brand new invention called goggle. I am not going to do the work for you.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Many of us doing this way of eating had blood tests done when starting - cholesterol in particular, but also other medical markers.

We all recognise we are the guinea pigs, this has only really taken off in the past year, but results so far are very positive, and more than just a "I feel good" way.

Now, they're not scientifically controlled, and not everyone is reporting positive results. But so far, the experimental guinea pig jury is giving the thumbs up.
  • Mokey41
    Options

There have been many many scientific studies about the benefits of fasting and there's this brand new invention called goggle. I am not going to do the work for you.

In other words you have no conclusive evidence.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

In other words you have no conclusive evidence.

I think what is meant is DYOR
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Here's some light reading:

Abstracts of clinical trials:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/1/7.abstract
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/81/1/69.abstract
    http://www.jlr.org/content/48/10/2212.abstract
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/90/5/1138.abstract
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3017674/
    http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=8544422
  • Mokey41
    Options

Here's some light reading:

Abstracts of clinical trials:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/1/7.abstract
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/81/1/69.abstract
    http://www.jlr.org/content/48/10/2212.abstract
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/90/5/1138.abstract
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3017674/
    http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=8544422

Yes, those minor studies show that calorie restriction will result in weight loss for the obese which may lead to better health in general. Still doesn't prove that the non obese individual will see any health benefit by any kind of fasting.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

Mokey...I have lost 91lbs so far with health in mind and not a single fad in sight until now. I'm cynical of fads too but I began 5:2 this week because I had been interested in it from a behavioral view. Trying to keep this short but I lost part of my weight on 1200 (but happily zigzagged) then got to a point where I knew I needed to readjust my thinking as I got to goal. But I found the tdee - % a bit tedious and also if I had a bad day I blew out for days because I'd felt I'd screwed up the whole week. So I was back to 1200 then I'd still blowout. Something behaviorally had to shift.

I knew from lean gains that I was a natural 16/8 and when I read about 5:2 I decided that it appealed to me as a strategy to learn how to eat at tdee and to manipulate what I already did (but was trying to ignore). In effect I just skip two meals per week on low days. What I've noticed is now on my high days I don't compromise on tdee. I don't try to speed up the weightloss process and I've started to manipulate the flexibility the strategy gives me mentally. I eat higher again on nights before fast day and training. I'm still conscious of my macros but I also feel less guilty about a treat.

In all honesty, my eyes glazed over the so called health benefits too. This is in part because eating better and losing weight as a result has greatly improved my health anyway. My goal is simply to tackle my meandering mindset. If I have a number of out of contol high days then throwing in a low day helps with adherence. I don't plan on compromising my high days at all apart from any minor adjustment due to tdee. This is a big positive step for me. I only have two days of adherence (remembering that I was naturally inclined to eat in an 8hr window anyway). I don't spend all day crunching numbers or thinking about food. But I know that some people enjoy the tdee-% method..it suits their thinking. Too fine a line for me day after day. Yet with this strategy I still am achieving the tdee-% over the course of a week but it's arranged differently. I recognize that. My aim is to get to a point where I don't count calories on either day. I've played around with this over the last week by not logging until the end of the day just to see where I would end up by responding to hunger cues and was pleasantly surprised that I fell roughly within what I have set for myself on higher days. I'm back to zigzagging in a sense but with a structure I can still manipulate to suit my lifestyle.

I don't believe it's for everybody. And yes, I do think it's parameters can be abused. But people who may abuse it would probably do so whatever method or fad they used.