Keto

Options
2»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Keto works because of what the majority of these folks are saying in their comments. Calorie and carb deficiency makes you LOSE pounds... but it’s not something you can maintain long term which is why I do not support it. I would do a modified Keto diet so it isn’t so extreme. Learn foods, learn macros, don’t resort to diet fads 🙂

I've been keto about three and a half years. Meat, eggs, veggies, seeds, and dairy with some fruit.... It's very sustainable for many.

BTW, the first diets ever promoted or written about were keto and low carb. It's the original weight loss diet of the west. ;)
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Keto works because of what the majority of these folks are saying in their comments. Calorie and carb deficiency makes you LOSE pounds... but it’s not something you can maintain long term which is why I do not support it. I would do a modified Keto diet so it isn’t so extreme. Learn foods, learn macros, don’t resort to diet fads 🙂

Almost, but not quite. All weightloss diets work through creating a calorie deficit. Keto creates that calorie deficit by massively reducing carbs. Keto done correctly is in itself perfectly healthy and sustainable. But everybody should take into consideration their own medical issues and preferences when they choose a diet.

This is something I was thinking about when I opened this thread. Keto is often touted as some kind of miracle diet, but it may not be safe for everyone. My family has a history of gallbladder issues, for instance, so eating a high fat diet is something I would be personally be very nervous about undertaking. My advice would be to speak with your doctor if you have any concerns or potential health issues.

Just to be perfectly clear, keto is not a miracle diet. A meta-analysis of 35 studies in which calories and protein were held constant showed not metabolic advantage for keto...or any other calorie restriction diet. They all work on the same principle. Eating less than you burn.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5568065/

Again, it's all about preference and sustainability.

Right, I know. That's why I mentioned it was touted/portrayed as some kind of miracle diet, not that it actually is a miracle diet. I personally don't actually believe that it is. I lost 80 pounds just through calorie counting, so I've never seen any need for Keto in my life as what I did worked great for me. :smile:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Almost, but not quite. All weightloss diets work through creating a calorie deficit. Keto creates that calorie deficit by massively reducing carbs. Keto done correctly is in itself perfectly healthy and sustainable. But everybody should take into consideration their own medical issues and preferences when they choose a diet.

This is something I was thinking about when I opened this thread. Keto is often touted as some kind of miracle diet, but it may not be safe for everyone. My family has a history of gallbladder issues, for instance, so eating a high fat diet is something I would be personally be very nervous about undertaking. My advice would be to speak with your doctor if you have any concerns or potential health issues.

Just to be perfectly clear, keto is not a miracle diet. A meta-analysis of 35 studies in which calories and protein were held constant showed not metabolic advantage for keto...or any other calorie restriction diet. They all work on the same principle. Eating less than you burn.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5568065/

Again, it's all about preference and sustainability.

Right, I know. That's why I mentioned it was touted/portrayed as some kind of miracle diet, not that it actually is a miracle diet. I personally don't actually believe that it is. I lost 80 pounds just through calorie counting, so I've never seen any need for Keto in my life as what I did worked great for me. :smile:

Yup. We're on the same page.