Even split between cardio and strength training?

Options
Hi folks, I am currently working out 1 hour per day, 5 days per week. I've just started this schedule and am hoping for some feedback on whether I should continue as is....I do 30 minutes of cardio on the treadmill then 30 minutes on the weight machines. I do this at a Planet Fitness gym. I am 45, 303 pounds and 5'3". I am also beginning to track my daily caloric intake here. I'm not sure about how to split the strength training between 5 days a week, 30 minutes at a time. I did arms this morning. Any suggestions welcome! Thanks!

Replies

• Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    As to your split I'm not really an expert, but it sounds good to me. :) Others may chime in on that.
    My general advice learned from MFP and experience:
    Cardio is good for a quick calorie burn. Weight training will help reduce your muscle loss as you lose weight. (When you lose weight, it comes off as a combination of fat and muscle.) Weight training doesn't burn a lot of calories despite what some calorie calculators tell you.
    Counting calories is for weight loss (you can lose weight without exercising), exercise is for fitness. Choose an exercise that you like, be consistent, don't overdo it and get injured or discouraged.
    If your main goal is weight loss, make sure you use a scale rather than measuring cups for all solids and find accurate database entries.
    Good luck!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    If you have just started working out, or working out after a long break I would start with 3 days a week not 5. Just to give you time to recover, adjust, and prevent burn out or injury.

Mild activity, like a nice walk would be good for the other 2 days.

I prefer to do lifting x3 on alternate days, and cardio on the other 2 days. But you do what works for you, and fits your goals right now. Be willing to change things up if you need or want. Don't think your choice now is written in stone.

The list of programmes above is wonderful, however, if you are at planet fitness and want to use machines at this point in time, this is a reasonable, well rounded programme.
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/ultimate-beginners-machine-workout-for-women.html

Cheers, h.
  • BlessedBe23
    BlessedBe23 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you have just started working out, or working out after a long break I would start with 3 days a week not 5. Just to give you time to recover, adjust, and prevent burn out or injury.

Mild activity, like a nice walk would be good for the other 2 days.

I prefer to do lifting x3 on alternate days, and cardio on the other 2 days. But you do what works for you, and fits your goals right now. Be willing to change things up if you need or want. Don't think your choice now is written in stone.

The list of programmes above is wonderful, however, if you are at planet fitness and want to use machines at this point in time, this is a reasonable, well rounded programme.
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/ultimate-beginners-machine-workout-for-women.html

Cheers, h.

Thank you! I had reviewed the other routines but couldn’t figure out how to translate some of the exercises to the machines. Greatly appreciate it!
  • Reeses_32
    Reeses_32 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi folks, I am currently working out 1 hour per day, 5 days per week. I've just started this schedule and am hoping for some feedback on whether I should continue as is....I do 30 minutes of cardio on the treadmill then 30 minutes on the weight machines. I do this at a Planet Fitness gym. I am 45, 303 pounds and 5'3". I am also beginning to track my daily caloric intake here. I'm not sure about how to split the strength training between 5 days a week, 30 minutes at a time. I did arms this morning. Any suggestions welcome! Thanks!

Hi. I am also 45 and I am 5'11 & now weigh 377. I've lost 15 lbs in 4 weeks walking with Leslie Sansone DVD. I don't do it everyday like I want too. The first mile is 3 mph for 20 min. Second mile at 4 mph for 15 mins. I see inches come off my hips, thighs, waist and butt. On the treadmill do you set it at certain mph? I also have a Weight Watchers DVD that works the arms with 5-10 lb weights. I like working with the DVD because they know what they are doing and how much to do.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You know what?
    Everyone here is going to chime in and give you some pointers on how you can fine tune your program for optimal results.
    But I am going to say that is pretty irrelevant right now, if you are just starting out.
    The important thing here is that you like what you are doing and you are establishing the habit.
    Results won't come from devising the precise best concoction of movements.
    Results come from diligence and time.
    Do what you think is fun. Do what you will keep doing. That way you won't miss days.
    Maybe someday you'll decide that what you really want to be is a powerlifter or a marathon runner or a jump-rope jumper and you will have to follow a directed regimen.
    But right now you are establishing the habit of movement and exercise, and that is GREAT!
    Congratulations.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    If you do cardio on the same day as weight training, switch them around. Weights first, cardio second.

I've been told it's a safety thing, in case you're exhausted post cardio and accidentally drop a weight on yourself.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    You know what?
    Everyone here is going to chime in and give you some pointers on how you can fine tune your program for optimal results.
    But I am going to say that is pretty irrelevant right now, if you are just starting out.
    The important thing here is that you like what you are doing and you are establishing the habit.
    Results won't come from devising the precise best concoction of movements.
    Results come from diligence and time.
    Do what you think is fun. Do what you will keep doing. That way you won't miss days.
    Maybe someday you'll decide that what you really want to be is a powerlifter or a marathon runner or a jump-rope jumper and you will have to follow a directed regimen.
    But right now you are establishing the habit of movement and exercise, and that is GREAT!
    Congratulations.

^ Actually, it's pretty hard to argue with this advice.

You're on the right track - you're doing a mixture of strength and cardio training, both of which are great for you. For now, do whatever you enjoy, develop a base of fitness and establish the habit of doing it. Habits will help you succeed long after the initial rush of motivation has faded.

Remember that choosing any particular method or program doesn't mean you're irreversibly locked into it - you can experiment and change as you go along. One of the greatest, coolest things about being a beginner is that just about any even halfway reasonable workout regimen will give you results!