Weightlifting for a beginner. HELP NEEDED.

Hello everyone.

Back in 2012 I was a uk size 10-12 in a pretty good shape. I was at the gym regularly. I took body pump classes and they gave me a nice time.
Anyway, fast forward six years, here I am with two kids and 50 pounds overweight. I did lose most of the weight after having my first but I put it back on in second pregnancy.

I am 6'8 and weigh 205 pounds, looking to get down to 155 which was my ideal weight before.
I don't have a car and the gym is way to far so I want to start doing something indoors And outside.
Where the hell do i start?
Maybe start with jogging? How often and for how long? Can anyone advise me on this please?
Also, I would love to start lifting weights.
My other half has a metal barbell with some weight. How many sets and how many reps should I start with? And how often?
I don't want to do it wrong.
What are your recommendations on this?
I am determined to sort my health and shape out.
Please help 😀

Replies

• dragonghost
    dragonghost Posts: 68 Member
    Here is some information for lifting

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

As for running i would suggest to start slow an at your own pace not to cause injury to your self.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    pick a programme from the link above, and look at C25K for running
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    WillingtoLose1001984 Posts: 240 Member
    Hello everyone.

Back in 2012 I was a uk size 10-12 in a pretty good shape. I was at the gym regularly. I took body pump classes and they gave me a nice time.
    Anyway, fast forward six years, here I am with two kids and 50 pounds overweight. I did lose most of the weight after having my first but I put it back on in second pregnancy.

I am 6'8 and weigh 205 pounds, looking to get down to 155 which was my ideal weight before.
    I don't have a car and the gym is way to far so I want to start doing something indoors And outside.
    Where the hell do i start?
    Maybe start with jogging? How often and for how long? Can anyone advise me on this please?
    Also, I would love to start lifting weights.
    My other half has a metal barbell with some weight. How many sets and how many reps should I start with? And how often?
    I don't want to do it wrong.
    What are your recommendations on this?
    I am determined to sort my health and shape out.
    Please help 😀

I have worked out with weights before and been injured so I'd say stay light until you learn good form. Maybe even higher a trainer for a session and gradually increase weight over time. A lot of weight training programs are geared towards people who have a lot of basic strength and coordination already which doesn't apply to a lot of people. It takes time!
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    6'8 and 205lbs, 155 sounds way to low for that :)

I started with walking because Im super limited with what I can do with injuries.
    Couch to 5k is a great app if you want to run. Air squats, push up, planks, lunges are great also. Do you have any crossfit gyms near you? often they have a super cheap intro that you can do. Its an awesome way to learn barbell movements even if you only plan to do them at home. They also have awesome workout ideas
  • bettsvictoria
    bettsvictoria Posts: 5 Member
    Have you thought about a personal trainer? I wanted to start using weights and hired a PT so now I know the difference between a deadlift and squat! 😂
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Do you mean 5'8? Otherwise your goal weight seems low and you will have some trouble on traditional lifting 'ie deadlift' we would need to help you through.

For running follow the couch to 5k programme. It's on a free app.

For lifting follow the stronglift 5x5 programme. It's simple to follow for a beginner and is also on a free app. There are videos in the app to teach you form. Start with just the bar and no additional weights until you have good form.

Good luck! Lifting is fun and will bring you good quality body compositions results alongside running
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    pick a programme from the link above, and look at C25K for running

100% agree with this advice.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Have you thought about a personal trainer? I wanted to start using weights and hired a PT so now I know the difference between a deadlift and squat! 😂

At my gym, half the PTs are muppets, goodness I've seen some things!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Runningrogram: C25k
    Lifting program: Starting Strength

Both are very good for the beginners to train with.