Is keto more suited to high speed weight loss?

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2018
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Anytime you start to watch what you eat, you will first lose water weight.

But I am struck by how many people think keto is a weight loss plan. It's not, and should not be approached that way. It's a way of detoxing your body and letting it normalize to what it should be. It's eating as cleanly as possible. Weight loss is just a byproduct. A huge benefit, I agree, but nothing more than a byproduct.

So, IMHO, this WOE is for me the best I have ever tried. Once you detox from a carb/sugar heavy diet, food will taste better than it ever tasted because your taste buds are no longer being bombarded by too much sugar.

I have been religiously tracking what I eat. When I first started, I was consuming more than 150g of carbs and 100g of sugar! Now it's ~30g of carbs and ~9g of sugar. A huge difference that, among other things, have allowed me to lose more than 50lbs. In just four months! This WOE, by the way, is naturally low in sugar.

I highly recommend watching "The Magic Pill" on Netflix. A real eye opener.

I am not a doctor, nor do I pretend to be.

Magic pill is what got my interest. I thought keto was a fad diet that because of high fat was bad long term. After much research I decided that it was a lifestyle I wanted to try. I never eat sugar but did cut bread and potatoes out which was easy. Then you start looking into hidden carbs and sugars, they are everywhere. I never thought of it as detox but after going keto I get more energy and feel more focused at work. But that can't be possible because keto is only about CICO and nothing to do with anything else. :D

That is being a bit obtuse. Keto has its benefits but CICO is weight management. Its great you feel energy on keto... Its probably how i feel on my diet.. and the same thing promoted on all diets. Largely, its placebo from starting something new that you believe will work.

ETA: you have been on the diet for about 6 weeks... let's see how things go in a few years. I lost my weight and kept it off for 6 years with high carb. Now that I am working to get leaner, I cycle keto and ultra high carb.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

But I am struck by how many people think keto is a weight loss plan. It's not, and should not be approached that way. It's a way of detoxing your body and letting it normalize to what it should be. It's eating as cleanly as possible. Weight loss is just a byproduct. A huge benefit, I agree, but nothing more than a byproduct.

So, IMHO, this WOE is for me the best I have ever tried. Once you detox from a carb/sugar heavy diet, food will taste better than it ever tasted because your taste buds are no longer being bombarded by too much sugar.

I have been religiously tracking what I eat. When I first started, I was consuming more than 150g of carbs and 100g of sugar! Now it's ~30g of carbs and ~9g of sugar. A huge difference that, among other things, have allowed me to lose more than 50lbs. In just four months! This WOE, by the way, is naturally low in sugar.

Magic pill is what got my interest. I thought keto was a fad diet that because of high fat was bad long term. After much research I decided that it was a lifestyle I wanted to try. I never eat sugar but did cut bread and potatoes out which was easy. Then you start looking into hidden carbs and sugars, they are everywhere. I never thought of it as detox but after going keto I get more energy and feel more focused at work. But that can't be possible because keto is only about CICO and nothing to do with anything else. :D

That is being a bit obtuse. Keto has its benefits but CICO is weight management. Its great you feel energy on keto... Its probably how i feel on my diet.. and the same thing promoted on all diets. Largely, its placebo from starting something new that you believe will work.

ETA: you have been on the diet for about 6 weeks... let's see how things go in a few years. I lost my weight and kept it off for 6 years with high carb. Now that I am working to get leaner, I cycle keto and ultra high carb.

I sure didn't get any placebo effect on pure calorie restriction but I did lose 50 pounds. I then stared putting 30 back on. I do need to give it time and am looking forward to getting blood work done so I see that part of the picture. I am not in any hurry so only time will tell at this point. The weight loss is a benefit but I am more interested in managing blood pressure, cholesterol and inflammation.

Same. Well, I lost 43 lbs before I started eating low carb - there was a quick and noticeable difference in the way I felt too - like flipping a switch. 5 or 6 years later that placebo effect is still going strong for me. lol I hope the effect persists in the same way for you too. :)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm on low fiber/low fat/vlcd (because I can't tolerate much food orally) and am severely underweight and shock of all shocks most of my bloodwork is within normal ranges. My bloodwork should be utter crap as my BMI is 16.1 and dropping but apparently my high carb/low fat intake is sustaining my body. In fact sustaining it too well where my drs are dragging their feet on putting me on TPN and eventually inserting a permanent feeding tube.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I am reading a book "Tripping over the Truth" that goes through the evolution of cancer treatment both medically and politically. The current chapter is getting into the benefit of how the keto diet restricts the growth of tumors by denying the cancer cells of glucose. They are seeing a benefit combing radiation HBOT (hyperboic oxegen treatment) with keto. Not done yet but very fascinating read.

You might be interested in Dom D'agostinos, PhD work. He has been involved in that type of work for some time
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I sure didn't get any placebo effect on pure calorie restriction but I did lose 50 pounds. I then stared putting 30 back on. I do need to give it time and am looking forward to getting blood work done so I see that part of the picture. I am not in any hurry so only time will tell at this point. The weight loss is a benefit but I am more interested in managing blood pressure, cholesterol and inflammation.

Same. Well, I lost 43 lbs before I started eating low carb - there was a quick and noticeable difference in the way I felt too - like flipping a switch. 5 or 6 years later that placebo effect is still going strong for me. lol I hope the effect persists in the same way for you too. :)

I'm another who has experienced the energy benefits, and feelings of well being, for a few years. If it is a placebo effect, it's a strong and long lasting one. :);)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I'm another who has experienced the energy benefits, and feelings of well being, for a few years. If it is a placebo effect, it's a strong and long lasting one. :);)

You have IR .. it certainly should have a profound impact on how you feel.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Probably. Since so many have IR, especially in the overweight, it could be helpful to others.

It also helped my autoimmune diseases and arthritis - probably not IR related.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Probably. Since so many have IR, especially in the overweight, it could be helpful to others.

It also helped my autoimmune diseases and arthritis - probably not IR related.

Yea. I have been reading on some of the science with arthritis for a client. Depending on the type, i have seen a lot of recommendations to also cut meats. But that was more directed at RA
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Just curious. I did the Atkins diet back in the 80's. Is the "keto" diet just Atkins with a face-lift? Maybe somebody living the life style can enlighten me to the differences. Thanks in advance.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,611 Member
    Options
    yukfoo wrote: »
    Just curious. I did the Atkins diet back in the 80's. Is the "keto" diet just Atkins with a face-lift? Maybe somebody living the life style can enlighten me to the differences. Thanks in advance.

When someone at church or something asks how I have lost the weight, I tell them I am keeping carbs low and counting calories. When they look confused because I did not say SlimFast or something, I say, "It is like Atkins." They always look relieved. I don't actually know much about Atkins, but I do know it was low carb.
  • yukfoo
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

When someone at church or something asks how I have lost the weight, I tell them I am keeping carbs low and counting calories. When they look confused because I did not say SlimFast or something, I say, "It is like Atkins." They always look relieved. I don't actually know much about Atkins, but I do know it was low carb.

Thanks for the reply. Atkins was something of a pioneer in the 'low carb" life style. Last 2 questions... May I ask what kind of carb limit you follow on average and are you in maintenance or still losing? . I don't mean to be personal. If you prefer not to go into specifics of your plan I certainly understand.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

Thanks for the reply. Atkins was something of a pioneer in the 'low carb" life style. Last 2 questions... May I ask what kind of carb limit you follow on average and are you in maintenance or still losing? . I don't mean to be personal. If you prefer not to go into specifics of your plan I certainly understand.

I have lost 135 pounds total. I went on a diet in January of 2016. In September/October of 2016, I started watching carbs and not just calories. I have been in maintenance for about 6 weeks. I keep carbs under 20 a day and have done that since October 2016 for sure and I was at 50 carbs a day for a few weeks before that. My glucose numbers responded so well to the <50 carbs that I decided to try a week or so at <20 to see if I could sustain it and see if the glucose numbers came down some more. It was sustainable for me. The glucose numbers improved. I have kept things <20 since and have been doing that while maintaining.

The maintenance has worked well so far for me. I bumped my calorie limits up by 400 a day. I figured I could keep an eye on the scale and adjust calories a little up or down based on what seemed to be happening. So far I have been plus or minus 2 pounds of goal since starting maintenance. Libra Scale has me at 1 pound under goal, so I think I am in a reasonably good place with my goals.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    Ah ok so very strict carb intake (20-50 grams) same as Atkins "New Diet Revolution". So it sounds as though it hasn't changed a lot. Obviously you're not having any issues with cutting processed carbs, bread, pastas and the like. Your sticks are always purple. Keto+calorie count is a fat destroying power house! Not to mention the research into how ketosis may help cancer patients. Unfortunately for me I seemed to only focus on what I couldn't have and after a year i acquiesced. Thank you so much for sharing your plan publicly. Wow! 135 pounds! Astounding weight-loss you must feel amazing! Great numbers as well. Good on you! I admire your resolve. Very best of luck on your journey.

Thanks! I feel great! Seats get uncomfortable quicker due to the loss of padding. Other than that, it has all been good.

I really seem to have lost my appetite for the carbs. I don't miss them although it is a challenge to be gracious and stay on plan while eating at someones house.

Perhaps oddly, I have never used the keto test sticks. I track the scale and the glucose meter. I figure at <20, I have to be in ketosis, but really all I care about is the glucose meter and the scale.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

I can not disagree more with the first part. Firstly your body does not need to detox. We have kidneys and a liver for that. Secondly what is this way our bodies should be crap? Our bodies first and the most natural energy source is carbs. To suggest it should be fat is just ridiculous. All this shows is how adaptive our bodies are when our prefered energy source is not available.

The last bolded bit is the only truth in your comment.

Fat is a primary source of fuel.. carbs are mainly oxidatized after you eat them or when you have great oxygen needs. So for daily activities, you are largely using fat.

Now, your bodies prefers carbs over ketones for a fuel source and will only produce high levels of ketones when your liver glycogen is depleted.
  • yukfoo
    Options
    Yes I would certainly agree not to bother with sticks either @&lt;20 grams. I empathize with the sitting part. I've purchased 2 new office chairs this year (lost about 50 pounds). They both seemed to have excellent cushioning. Gave the first one to my wife as after an hour or so. I just couldn't sit at my desk and now am sitting on my newest extra thick cushioned "secretary" chair with a folded pillow as well lol!