Article - One bad night’s sleep can make you put on fat and lose muscle mass

Options
Seems like a fairly legit source:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2177638-one-bad-nights-sleep-can-make-you-put-on-fat-and-lose-muscle-mass

but I think the headline is over-hyped for click bait purposes. Still, interesting what it does to hormones and whatnot.

Replies

• mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Seems like a fairly legit source:
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/2177638-one-bad-nights-sleep-can-make-you-put-on-fat-and-lose-muscle-mass

but I think the headline is over-hyped for click bait purposes. Still, interesting what it does to hormones and whatnot.

I agree the headline is ridiculously over-hyped, and further agree the study is in line with other studies looking at the impact of sleep deprivation on body functions, particularly with the correlation between chronic disrupted sleep and the rise in weight. There are so many things that impact our systems temporarily (alcohol processing for instance) that may have a short term effect at a cellular level, but are not permanent changes unless the situation becomes chronic.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    And it seems not even to be getting to the big thing that, for me, promotes fat gain if I persistently get too little sleep: My self-control goes all to (bleep), I desire more foods, and I'm more likely to eat them. :(

I agree. And from what I remember (correct me if I’m wrong) raised cortisol from stress increases hunger hormones - so legit feelings of hunger increase with a lack of sleep. Personal experience matches. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    kiela64 wrote: »
    And it seems not even to be getting to the big thing that, for me, promotes fat gain if I persistently get too little sleep: My self-control goes all to (bleep), I desire more foods, and I'm more likely to eat them. :(

I agree. And from what I remember (correct me if I’m wrong) raised cortisol from stress increases hunger hormones - so legit feelings of hunger increase with a lack of sleep. Personal experience matches. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Plus brain fog. For me, after a bad night, my brain insists I can achieve clarity if I just eat enough chocolate. :o
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Well, I am screwed being that I suffer insomnia and rarely get a good night sleep. Strange though that I struggle to put on weight........
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    kiela64 wrote: »

Plus brain fog. For me, after a bad night, my brain insists I can achieve clarity if I just eat enough chocolate. :o

This too! “Maybe after one more Frappuccino I’ll be able to write an essay” “maybe I need fries in order to focus” 😐 every dang time.