Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    No personal insights, OP, but just wanted to say my heart goes out to you for keeping at it. It's hard for me to imagine losing 100 pounds *several times*. You obviously have the knowledge, perseverance and mental toughness to do this. I wish you nothing but the very best to discover that missing piece that has led to regain.

Can you ask for references for this specific program? Despite HIPPA, there may be people willing to talk about their experience. If they're a reference, they probably have positive things to say, but maybe you can get a sense of whether what worked for them would be of value to you or not.

Either way, best to you and press on!
    I don't think it's a good idea to press on in this case, but to take a step back. Knowing how to lose weight is not the same as knowing how to maintain healthy weight. Perserverance is a hindrance if it's in the form of an attitude that prevents somebody from opening up for new strategies.

What makes you think that the program wouldn't also incorporate strategies for maintenance? It sounds like a comprehensive program that will teach new (maybe new) strategies for diet as well as coping. At worst, it would be full of the bunk woo that we hear about here all the time. In which case, OP has been around long enough to know that it's bunk. Or maybe it will just reinforce things she already knows.

earlnabby wrote: »
    No personal insights, OP, but just wanted to say my heart goes out to you for keeping at it. It's hard for me to imagine losing 100 pounds *several times*. You obviously have the knowledge, perseverance and mental toughness to do this. I wish you nothing but the very best to discover that missing piece that has led to regain.

Can you ask for references for this specific program? Despite HIPPA, there may be people willing to talk about their experience. If they're a reference, they probably have positive things to say, but maybe you can get a sense of whether what worked for them would be of value to you or not.

I don't think it's a good idea to press on in this case, but to take a step back. Knowing how to lose weight is not the same as knowing how to maintain healthy weight. Perserverance is a hindrance if it's in the form of an attitude that prevents somebody from opening up for new strategies.

What on earth are you talking about, and how does this relate to a question about a comprehensive guided weight loss program (especially since you are so against learning new strategies)?

I personally don't have any experience with something like this, but I don't have any sense of "run away" that I get with a lot of the crap that's out there right now. Have you talked to the provider about cost and your insurance about coverage?

I have and it is not covered by insurance. One good thing is that it includes a free membership to the same fitness center I used to go to for my water aerobics and lap swimming along with sessions with a personal trainer/physical therapist (depending on needs and ability). I love the pools there and the water exercise instructors

I remember your love of the water. Is there a similar program nearby, so you can compare prices and programs? I'm guessing that a program like that isn't cheap, but if it makes the difference for you, it's worth considering.

None that are close enough (within a 30 minute drive).
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

This is a new strategy or else the OP would not be asking about it. Losing weight takes a lot of time so if the OP is smart she will use some of that time like I have been doing to figure out why weight was regained in the past and with the help of her team if she chooses to go this route develop new maintenance strategies.

My personal plan right now is to eat at a deficit 4 days a week when I get there sticking with most of my calories at lunch. I also plan to keep logging and weighing at least twice a month.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I really like this post. Lots of times people don't realize there are many ways up the mountain and people get attached to their particular route and think everyone should take it.

Attached? lol. That is putting it mildly.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I’d also make sure it isn’t designed to sell you on WLS - cynical, I know but hospitals make a lot of $ with bariatric surgery these days.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    One more tip as someone who has done outcomes reporting for similar programs- they may not be able to tell you personal testimonials if no participants are willing to sign a HIPAA release (which, may be a bad sign because usually very outgoing people who had success are totally willing to do this) but they are absolutely allowed to show you anonymous aggregated data measuring program success. Things like how much weight participants lose, improvements in any labs/vital signs, before and after surveys, long-term data about weight maintenance etc. If they refuse to show it to you (HIPAA does not apply here so don't let them use that as an excuse) or say they don't track this kind of information run away.

She did give me some of that kind of data which was helpful. It also is not just for weight loss. When I was there there were 2 different people who came in for a weight check who are obviously recovering from something like anorexia so it is all about weight management in whatever capacity it is needed.

• Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    If a program like that had been available where I am, I would've jumped on it. I'm one of those people who for years had no clue about how or wherr to start weight loss, how to sustain it by eating differently, and who bought into the 'motivation/willpower' mantra-- I was discouraged because I had neither. It would've been a lot easier to have the kind of holistic support you're talking about. I do better being told what to eat and what to reduce. My dietitian told me what foods to reduce that weren't helping me and I did. If you feel you might benefit from this type of program, and it's being offered to you, then take it. It takes a lot to retrain yourself how to eat, and to get into a pattern of regular exercise, so if there's some help learning how to incorporate those things in your daily life, and it can give you the kickstart you need, then do it.