What do you miss the most?

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I don't miss anything because there's nothing I don't eat - I just watch how much of the calorie dense ones.
    I do sometimes miss than I can't eat MORE of certain kinds of things but if I want to stay slim (and I do), then I have to be content with smaller portions, end of!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    braewe wrote: »
    Whoever said the simple joy of being a glutton and eating until you literally are in a food coma. Like, going to a steakhouse and having a cheese fried and bacon appetizer AND a steak AND loaded baked potato AND a cider, AND a salad with ranch AND THEN even though you are NOT hungry at all in the slightest when someone in the household says omg I want a shake, heading to steak n shake, anyone want one? SAYING YES.

YESSSSSSS. Texas roadhouse for me. Add on several rolls with cinnamon butter on the front end though, maybe some peanuts too.
  • app_119
    app_119 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I just miss eating whatever I felt like, whenever, and not caring about how many calories was in it. :'(

Likewise. I don't eat anything without thinking about the calorie content. A friend of mine told me he ate three Panera cookies at a work lunch, my only response was "that's at least 1200 calories of cookies".

This is me, too. I think I am quite obsessive about it. But not thinking about it was what made and kept me obese. And now I am amazed at how many calories people put away for a lunch or a snack without thinking about it, and I think “you just ate your whole days worth of calories right there!”. I think my husband gets tired of hearing about calories all of the time; however, he is slowly losing weight, too because of it. He never realized how much he was really eating and what it added up to.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    Options
    French fries. I love them and for some time, even before I started MFP, I decided to cut them from my diet, because they just aren't good for you. But I miss them. And cheese grits. I no longer make them, since my husband was diagnosed with Type 2. And warm French bread with butter.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I don't miss anything. I eat a lot and as variety of the foods I enjoy very much.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I really miss that relaxed innocence I used to have when I was a dieting virgin. Sometimes it gets to me that I will never be able to go back to how it was.

This is it for me too, like so many others have noted! I don't miss any particular food because I eat pretty much the same things I used to, but I still grieve the loss of that innocence. Things will never be the same again!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    French fries. I love them and for some time, even before I started MFP, I decided to cut them from my diet, because they just aren't good for you. But I miss them. And cheese grits. I no longer make them, since my husband was diagnosed with Type 2. And warm French bread with butter.

French fries are good but baked potato drizzled with some olive oil and sprinkled with mixed herbs is a pretty good substitute in my humble opinion.
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I miss my oblivious attitude around food. I knew some things had more calories than others, but it just wasn't a thought that came to me often if ever while eating. Now I'm hyper aware. Even when I'm eating whatever I want in whatever quantity I want, I'm still thinking about calories. Even during holidays where I'm really not that concerned calories, I still tally up the calories. I really miss that relaxed innocence I used to have when I was a dieting virgin. Sometimes it gets to me that I will never be able to go back to how it was.
    I miss food being a mindless time filler, an easy reward, an easy comfort when bad things happen. Pretty much nothing to do with the food itself and more to do with it allowing me to not deal with emotions. Lol?

Same

• leobrah
    leobrah Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I definitely miss drinking booze on the weekends. I love beer and rum cocktails. I don't drink any of that anymore because they are empty calories. Also my dad makes really tasty homemade food on the weekends and it's something I used to look forward to, now it's something I don't look forward to cause I'm afraid I'll slip up and eat too much :smiley:
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,502 Member
    Options
    Seafood enchiladas at my favorite Mexican place. I don't know how many calories they have, but I'm guessing eleventy-billion. I don't think it would be possible to have them in a "reasonable portion" and have it exceed two bites, so they are a "special occasion" food now instead of a "lunch once a week" food.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I miss bingeing without even realising I was bingeing; just snacking my way through pastries, chocolates and cake until I felt physically ‘full’ like it was a normal thing to do.

There are plenty of times these days when I don’t feel particularly hungry. There are almost never times when I feel full. Because my body and brain suck at signalling.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    mekelly wrote: »
    I miss the spontaneity of being able to eat whatever whenever without having to factor it into my daily calories.
    Definitely this.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Full sugar rootbeer!!
    If I have a good day with lots of calories left I will drink one but that is very infrequent.
  • peppermintcaroline
    Options
    Soda and white pasta. Soda just tastes weird to me now (metallic, too sweet), and pasta I usually only cook if I have company or a bad day. It fits, calorie wise, but not my macros, and while that isn't always important it sometimes leaves me feeling grumpy and lethargic.

So I don't miss those things, I miss how my body used to react to/perceive those things i guess.
  • elsie6hickman
    elsie6hickman Posts: 3,864 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

French fries are good but baked potato drizzled with some olive oil and sprinkled with mixed herbs is a pretty good substitute in my humble opinion.

We have had to give up white potatoes due to my husband's diabetes. Yes, I know that you can still eat an minisucle portion once in a while, but it just seemed easier to give it up completely. I have created a diet for him that will pretty much assure he can come off medicine and that seems to be a great prize for a small sacrifice.

• VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    The ignorant bliss of being able to trowel peanut butter on toast like mortar.....

An actual serving of peanut butter is sadness on a spoon.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I miss the sheer ease of just eating whatever was handiest, without bothering to fix something that was actually nutritious or met my macros without blowing my calories.