New medication, can't eat. Need advice.

Options
I didn't wind up in a weight loss forum by not eating enough.

A few very stressful events have happened at the same time recently, and it dialed my anxiety up to 11. Until a week ago we've been stuck with awful wildfire smoke, which has kept me off my bike, I use the bike to cope with stress. Sometimes I feel like I'm in mortal danger for no reason at all, but it's unshakeable.

My doctor gave me a medicine that's helping to take the edge off the anxiety. I need the help right now, and I've heard people struggle to find the right medicine, so I'd prefer to stick with something that works.

But I just don't have an appetite. It's a chore to put food in my mouth and swallow it. I don't want to look at most food. And I forget to eat, yesterday at 6:30 pm I realized all I'd had to eat all day was half a yogurt.

I could really benefit from some advice on dealing with the eating problem.

Replies

• sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    +1 for talk to doctor and express concerns re: loss of appetite. And I agree with the direct post above - getting calories for the meantime will be easier if they are in liquid form.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I lost my appetite for about a month the first time I went on a certain antidepressant. I couldn't stand the sight of food. Once my body had adjusted to the medication my appetite returned. If you're still experiencing no appetite in 4 to 6 weeks, go back to your doctor. You may just need to adjust your dose, or even the time of day you take it, before trying a different medication.

Side effects usually wear off in a few weeks, so don't start worrying now. Eat or sip what you can, maybe meal replacement and protein shakes, thin soups or broth, a glass of pop or even a stock cube dissolved in water if that's all you can manage, and give your body some time to get used to the meds.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I’ve been here before. When I first started on anti depressants even my favourite foods made me feel unbelievably nauseous. I stuck to very bland food during that time to get through.

It should wear off after a week or two. However if you are concerned have a chat with the doctor.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    So again, you need to talk to your doctor about this. Also, most side effects (and this appears to be one) wear off within a few weeks to a month.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Topamax does this to me. When I first started it and if I adjust the dosage. I eat what I can when I can. Some people love the weight loss side effect but I would rather my loss come from a slow deficit so I eat what I can stomach while my body adjusts, even if those are foods I won’t typically choose while trying lose weight. Beefed up protein shakes(add honey, extra berries, coconut oil, etc), milkshakes, cereal. After a week or two my body gets used to it and I can tolerate my regular diet again and I cut back on the hyperpalatable foods. But while adjusting, I just do what I can to get in 1200 cals even if they aren’t exactly balanced.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I just left the doctor's. They'll be closed for the next three days. They have me a different medicine, now I have to decide to continue with this one or change.

I used to love Cinnamon Toast Crunch as a kid. Probably because of nostalgia, that's not an instant no. If I can eat it, do you think that's better than nothing?

Cereal is awesome. If it works for you, eat it. I used to use a Boost or an Ensure Plus instead of milk. A while ago when I was having a really, really hard time eating, I found oatmeal to be a safe food and I ate it 5 times a day. Some food was better than no food.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    I just left the doctor's. They'll be closed for the next three days. They have me a different medicine, now I have to decide to continue with this one or change.

I used to love Cinnamon Toast Crunch as a kid. Probably because of nostalgia, that's not an instant no. If I can eat it, do you think that's better than nothing?

Anything that isn't poisonous or spoiled and that you don't have an allergy or medical intolerance to is better than nothing. Please don't cross foods that you find palatable off the list of things you'll allow yourself to eat while you are having trouble eating anything.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry this has happened to you. Loss of appetite can be a side effect of medication. I agree with those who say call your doctor and let them know how severely this has affected your appetite.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Oh also - do look up whether or not there are any foods that are contradictions to your new med(s). It's pretty likely that grapefruit will be a contradiction (and probably nothing else).
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Oh also - do look up whether or not there are any foods that are contradictions to your new med(s). It's pretty likely that grapefruit will be a contradiction (and probably nothing else).

Good point.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options

@NorthCascades
    Absolutely!!! There's nothing wrong with Cinnamon Toast Crunch (unless there's some medical reason for you to avoid it). Although, if you needing more calories I would suggest cereal that is higher in calories such as Raisen Bran or the Quaker Medley's. Personally, I prefer Cookie Crisp or Fruit Loops, but that's just me. (Yes, for losing weight cinnamon toast crunch is the better option over most "healthy" cereals).
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    You've had great advice. Love this place.

Hugs about your anxiety. I see a psychologist (for counselling) and psychiatrist (for medication) and my anxiety is getting a lot better.

Those stressful life events really put our already danger-sensing brains into hyperdrive.

My psychologist was telling me about how biologically we use our brains for safety and sex, and everything stems from that ultimately.

That helps me to observe my thoughts and fears and see them as my brain protecting me and my tribe.

Glad to hear the wildfire smoke has cleared. Hope you can get out on your bike on the trails this weekend!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Anything you feel you want to eat is better than nothing
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    No advice on the appetite problem, just want to let you know you have my best well wishes. :)
    My humble opinion matches those who say anything is better than nothing.

(And, with great good luck, you might be able to could sneak in little (almond?) milk with it?)