September Self-Care Challenge

Options

Replies

• thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Today I did yoga at home for the first time in a while. I haven't been motivated to do it by myself for several months. But, I made it through the whole half hour practice! And it was one to really focus on stretching the hoops and lower back. I needed it and I think that's why I finished. I also bought myself two new sports bras that will hopefully have enough support for my high intensity workouts. It was a good day and I'm looking forward to my workouts tomorrow.
  • kzzr
    kzzr Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Today is all about enjoying the little things, I spent some time watching the ducks in the river out the back of work and took a lunchtime leisurely stroll in the spring sunshine :)
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,093 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's indulgence was a last stroll round Tate Modern, then a prawn salad sitting in the sun people watching with my friends.
    Flight home was delayed but I had jigsaws on my iPad to keep me happily occupied. Sleeping in my own bed last night was bliss.

Today the sun is shining. I am going to my Craft Group this morning, and doing a presentation on Manet for my art history group this afternoon.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Yesterday wasn't the best day. I spent too long indulging my depression. Didn't even take a shower. Just lay in bed listening to the radio all night. I did get 15,000 steps during the day yesterday though, so that was good.

Today I feel a little better. Got up early and did some work, then took the shower I was supposed to take yesterday. Made myself a sandwich to take for lunch (gluten free bread, turkey, dairy free cheese).

The weather has been so nice lately, almost like fall. Maybe after work tonight I'll have a stroll around the park.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's indulgence was a last stroll round Tate Modern, then a prawn salad sitting in the sun people watching with my friends.
    Flight home was delayed but I had jigsaws on my iPad to keep me happily occupied. Sleeping in my own bed last night was bliss.

Today the sun is shining. I am going to my Craft Group this morning, and doing a presentation on Manet for my art history group this afternoon.

@TerryRichardson112
    If you get a chance, I’d love to know
    1. What you think is the most important thing to know about Manet...
    2. What is the little known most interesting tidbit about him!

Also, could you let me know about your Craft Group...do you Work on your crafts together or hear guest speakers or give critiques? Who organizes it?
  • TerriRichardson112
    edited September 2018
    Options

@TerryRichardson112
    His single-mindedness in the pursuit of his own style influenced many of his contemporary fellow artists to break away from the constraints of the formulaic art taught in the Art Academies at the time.
    Although his art was ahead of his time, he himself was very conventional and bourgeois.

Also, could you let me know about your Craft Group...do you Work on your crafts together or hear guest speakers or give critiques? Who organizes it?

The groups that I run/belong to are organised by the group members themselves under the auspices of a international life-long learning charity. (U3A - University of the Third Age) we have over 70 different interest groups. I am a volunteer leader for 4 of the groups.
    The Craft Group meets twice a month to work on a variety of crafts. We share expertise either on a one to one basis, or in group workshops. The group has over 20 members with a diverse range of arts and crafts skills and interests.

• LilMizDetermined
    LilMizDetermined Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I would love to be a part of this!!!!!
  • RespectTheKitty
    Options
    Another rough night last night. I've been stress eating a lot lately, especially in the middle of the night. I have no idea why I do this, but I just wake up and go eat then go back to bed. If I could find a way to keep from waking up several times a night in the first place, I could probably solve the problem.

Until then, what are some other things I could do instead of eating when I'm stressed out?
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options

@TerryRichardson112
    His single-mindedness in the pursuit of his own style influenced many of his contemporary fellow artists to break away from the constraints of the formulaic art taught in the Art Academies at the time.
    Although his art was ahead of his time, he himself was very conventional and bourgeois.

The groups that I run/belong to are organised by the group members themselves under the auspices of a international life-long learning charity. (U3A - University of the Third Age) we have over 70 different interest groups. I am a volunteer leader for 4 of the groups.
    The Craft Group meets twice a month to work on a variety of crafts. We share expertise either on a one to one basis, or in group workshops. The group has over 20 members with a diverse range of arts and crafts skills and interests.

Thank you Very Much! 💕
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    Another rough night last night. I've been stress eating a lot lately, especially in the middle of the night. I have no idea why I do this, but I just wake up and go eat then go back to bed. If I could find a way to keep from waking up several times a night in the first place, I could probably solve the problem.

Until then, what are some other things I could do instead of eating when I'm stressed out?

I think meditation would really help you. Get a meditation app. Free one is “insight timer”. You can pick a time limit , as long or short.,... I use one before i sleep. I really like it. Also, Maybe see if you can get a sleep med? Or take benedryl, or magnesium or whatever will hep you not wake up. I’m sorry you feel depressed lately. I sometimes go to therapy to talk it out. Sending you hugs.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I sat on a park bench, sipped coffee, and watched a little squirrel (must have been a young one) hop all around like a bunny. It pranced, jumped, climbed, scampered.... it was the cutest little thing.
  • snoo61
    snoo61 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »

I think meditation would really help you. Get a meditation app. Free one is “insight timer”. You can pick a time limit , as long or short.,... I use one before i sleep. I really like it. Also, Maybe see if you can get a sleep med? Or take benedryl, or magnesium or whatever will hep you not wake up. I’m sorry you feel depressed lately. I sometimes go to therapy to talk it out. Sending you hugs.

Melatonin might help
  • TerriRichardson112
    edited September 2018
    Options

Agree with @RubyRed427 Deep Breathing exercises and Meditation help to get us into the right frame of mind to sleep. Don't get discouraged if it takes you a few tries to get the hang of it. YouTube has lots of channels with very good meditation videos. I use The Honest Guys, the Mindful Movement, etc.
  • RespectTheKitty
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Right now I do take melatonin to help me sleep, but I still wake up a lot, so I think I might need something stronger. Next time I see my doctor I will ask about it.

I used to meditate with an app called Headspace, but I haven't done it in a really long time. Now might be a good time to pick it up again. Maybe when I wake up and feel like I need to eat, I can try to meditate instead. Worth a shot!
  • twyla77
    twyla77 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty - sorry you're having a tough time - i used to wake up and snack too, but I found placing a cup of water beside my bed and drinking that when I woke up distracted me enough to keep me from actually getting up and going to the kitchen!
    @RubyRed427 - great suggestions!
  • smbsalio
    smbsalio Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just saw this post. Can I still join even though we are nearly halfway through the month?
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    smbsalio wrote: »
    Hi, I just saw this post. Can I still join even though we are nearly halfway through the month?

@smbsalio Yes, everyone is welcome anytime!! Glad that you are here!